{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What do you lot want to achieve?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: What do you lot want to achieve?

Postby ElwoodBlues » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Marky Mark wrote: You have a get out, none of us do.

Yes Jesus H Tap dancing Christ I have seen the light.

Im Mansfield till I die
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:52 pm

A bit of fight and bottle wouldn't go amiss. It's the way we lost and conceded goals yesterday that hurt so much. The first and third goals in particular were embarrassing.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:24 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Suttonian wrote:37 posts and not a single one confrontational but don't let facts get in the way of your opinion Bear73. Fair explanation of what you meant Broomo but I would imagine that Bellwhiff has seen his fair share of Stags games over the years by the way he talks. I don't know him so couldn't say for sure

I started attending in the 1970 season when I was just 7 years old. I watched all the way through the so called glory years until I joined up in 1979 and still got to most home games whilst in training in Harrogate. Went to Germany in 82. Still planned my leave around games. Broomo knows nothing of our past. Ask him to pick an all time top ten.

Ask him what position Barry Foster played. Or Russ Allen. Or Gordon Hodgson. He won’t have a clue. Because he’s not a Mansfield fan. His dig that “I can’t be arsed” is just his usual BS. Insinuates that he’s on the moral high ground but comes out with trite raspberry like that. We both know he’s no Mansfield fan. Probably spit his dummy out again and throw his teddy with a flounce.

Just to be clear. I didn't spit my dummy out or flounce with a teddy.

I took some time away from the forum for 2 reasons.

One I thought our petty arguments were spoiling the reading for others so wanted to reflect on whether my posting style was controversial and whether it was worth my time to hang around.

Secondly the mods deleted a couple of my more direct posts telling you what I really thought of you and I felt your snidey posting style, where 80% of your posts have a nasty little dig at someone, needed bringing down a peg or two. There's been at least one poster like you on every forum I've posted on and you're allowed to much "leeway" for my liking. And many others it seems.

If I could post freely, I'd handle you easily.

When the football season started again I thought I'd come back to talk football. Player performance, incidents etc. Something you're not really able to do as you hardly ever watch more than the highlights.

I've no idea how someone who hardly watches can be so active a poster and convince himself he knows better than those who actually go to games.

Ho hum, you are what you are I guess.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:04 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:Is requoting the entire initial opening post necessary when commenting, please? Just quote specific parts?

You've got to have the most ironic user name ever :lol: :lol: :lol:
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 pm

Always the case... The most vocal and negative don't go to games, but are always right.

Someone complaining about stirk signing in deadline day sums it up.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:09 pm

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over this recent slump.. Cloughie was bought in as a long term project to help make the club self sufficient.. We have enough quality coming back from injury soon... Results will follow.. Patience grashoppers
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:16 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Suttonian wrote:37 posts and not a single one confrontational but don't let facts get in the way of your opinion Bear73. Fair explanation of what you meant Broomo but I would imagine that Bellwhiff has seen his fair share of Stags games over the years by the way he talks. I don't know him so couldn't say for sure

I started attending in the 1970 season when I was just 7 years old. I watched all the way through the so called glory years until I joined up in 1979 and still got to most home games whilst in training in Harrogate. Went to Germany in 82. Still planned my leave around games. Broomo knows nothing of our past. Ask him to pick an all time top ten.

Ask him what position Barry Foster played. Or Russ Allen. Or Gordon Hodgson. He won’t have a clue. Because he’s not a Mansfield fan. His dig that “I can’t be arsed” is just his usual BS. Insinuates that he’s on the moral high ground but comes out with trite raspberry like that. We both know he’s no Mansfield fan. Probably spit his dummy out again and throw his teddy with a flounce.

Just to be clear. I didn't spit my dummy out or flounce with a teddy.

I took some time away from the forum for 2 reasons.

One I thought our petty arguments were spoiling the reading for others so wanted to reflect on whether my posting style was controversial and whether it was worth my time to hang around.

Secondly the mods deleted a couple of my more direct posts telling you what I really thought of you and I felt your snidey posting style, where 80% of your posts have a nasty little dig at someone, needed bringing down a peg or two. There's been at least one poster like you on every forum I've posted on and you're allowed to much "leeway" for my liking. And many others it seems.

If I could post freely, I'd handle you easily.

When the football season started again I thought I'd come back to talk football. Player performance, incidents etc. Something you're not really able to do as you hardly ever watch more than the highlights.

I've no idea how someone who hardly watches can be so active a poster and convince himself he knows better than those who actually go to games.

Ho hum, you are what you are I guess.

Like I said. I watched more games for this club by the age of 10 than you will in your life, superfan.

Please post away. Don’t hold back. I don’t care.
As for talking football, that’s pap. All you’re doing is defending your mate. He has questions to answer. You don’t set the agenda here. You’re not a fan of the club. I don’t care how many times you go this season. The day the manager changes, you’ll be off.

So anyway, what position did Barry Foster play ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:18 pm

steiner wrote:I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over this recent slump.. Cloughie was bought in as a long term project to help make the club self sufficient.. We have enough quality coming back from injury soon... Results will follow.. Patience grashoppers

Agreed - it is a long term project. Nothing pretty at the moment but it will set this club up for success whether under Clough or not
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 pm

steiner wrote:I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over this recent slump.. Cloughie was bought in as a long term project to help make the club self sufficient.. We have enough quality coming back from injury soon... Results will follow.. Patience grashoppers

I've been patient since 2013... I'm getting frustrated now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:51 pm

please keep the discussion about the team, the players, the manager, the club, the ground, etc etc etc, and do not be confrontational about and to other users.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:

The Stags are joint second in terms of longest serving League Two team since last promotion or relegation. Exeter are the longest. 15 current L2 teams have played in League One since we returned to the football league. Of the eight that haven’t, four have never been higher than the fourth tier.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

The Stags are joint second in terms of longest serving League Two team since last promotion or relegation. Exeter are the longest. 15 current L2 teams have played in League One since we returned to the football league. Of the eight that haven’t, four have never been higher than the fourth tier.

91/92 was my first season.... Since then we have spent one YES ONE season at a higher level albeit we got pretty much hammered every week and came straight back down! :lol:

Supporting Mansfield is a curse.. We all know it! Although some will actually claim to enjoy it :lol:

My lad has announced his retirement from watching the stags at the ripe old age of 8... He says everyone at school says there crap :lol: and lets be honest there bang on!.

Broomo your lucky you can walk away once Nige finally skulks away with his reputation in tatters!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Suttonian » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

91/92 was my first season.... Since then we have spent one YES ONE season at a higher level albeit we got pretty much hammered every week and came straight back down! :lol:

Supporting Mansfield is a curse.. We all know it! Although some will actually claim to enjoy it :lol:

My lad has announced his retirement from watching the stags at the ripe old age of 8... He says everyone at school says there crap :lol: and lets be honest there bang on!.

Broomo your lucky you can walk away once Nige finally skulks away with his reputation in tatters!

Happy 30th anniversary. Great memories from Phil Stant that year
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:29 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:

Agreed - it is a long term project. Nothing pretty at the moment but it will set this club up for success whether under Clough or not

Last year we just about stopped up. Budget isn't massive by the looks of it, very young side and I can see us being mid table without a proper defence. Gradual improvement, but we have to sort out such basic errors immediately.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:47 am

Suttonian wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Happy 30th anniversary. Great memories from Phil Stant that year

Oh how we could do with some stanty type characters in this current squad... He would be fuming with this lot of joeys! :lol:
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:50 am

Long term project to get us back in the national league?
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby daddycool » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:42 am

Clough has been in trouble several times over the yrs for singling players out for criticism to the media ,read his wicki page..
But I have faith in him to get over this rough period . 2600ish season ticket holder certainly have .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:33 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Last year we just about stopped up. Budget isn't massive by the looks of it, very young side and I can see us being mid table without a proper defence. Gradual improvement, but we have to sort out such basic errors immediately.

Do you think we have a small budget pal ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:55 am

Marky Mark wrote:Broomo, I've been watching for 40 odd years, my Dad has been watching for nearly 70 years and my Grandad saw our very first game in the football league in 1931, I'm entitled to say when we've played bad. That wasn't just bad yesterday that was one of the worst defensive performances I have ever seen - from a side managed by one of the best managers we've ever had. I was sat next to Alan Wilson (the stadium announcer for 30+ years) and I asked him at half time whether he can remember seeing a worse defensive performance - he said he was struggling, and that was before Nartey got shot by a sniper. The guy in front of him said 'other than Harrogate?'. So, there's some context.

Now, if that was a one-off then fine - I'll kick the cat again and get over it, we all have our bad days, we all have our bad runs and bloody hell we've had them in the past - but the stone cold reality is that the defence is not only not getting any better, they are actually getting worse in front of our eyes. So I'm asking myself how does it get better?
New players - the window is shut till January, out of contract is the only option and maybe they're out of contract for a reason, hopefully there's an option out there
Returning players - only Perch is out and the new lad from Stoke suddenly has a bit of a question mark above him given he was bigged up as Nartey was, either way he hasnt played at all this season yet.
Coaching - The confidence is shot, we're taking defenders off at half time and applauding the introduction of players who we were glad that they were being dropped last week - the performances are getting worse week by week and that's after coaching. Hopefully Nartey settles down and gets better.
Change of formation - Gordon and MacLaughlin aren't defenders but are in the side for their attacking ability, but we aren't going forward as often now because the whole team has one eye on the defence

I genuinely enjoy your insight, your views and have enjoyed reading your posts, and I'm a fully fledged Clough supporter, but with all due respect it's easy for you to stay pragmatic about it, it's easy to say have the faith, but the reality is that if Clough goes tomorrow then so will you. You have a get out, none of us do.

Excellent post
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:41 am

Not sure I agree that some fans were anti clough from the start, personally cannot remember a better supported appointment than when he was announced. With regards to the team, my own view is disappointment that a manager I had such high hopes for has been very poor so far this season. The lack of a plan B is massively hindering us and questions are always going to be asked of a manager when he signs players like Hewitt.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am

I see the under 18s had a good win at Doncaster and i see the under 23s improving showing a lot of attention being paid to our youth system.
Clough always pays attention to the grass roots of a club.
Mansfield struggling at the moment and performances have to improve, i am sure Clough has been in this situation many times
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:41 am

bear 73 wrote:I see the under 18s had a good win at Doncaster and i see the under 23s improving showing a lot of attention being paid to our youth system.
Clough always pays attention to the grass roots of a club.
Mansfield struggling at the moment and performances have to improve, i am sure Clough has been in this situation many times

Bear

The club have been developing the youth system for a lot of years.

It’s success has very little if anything to do with Clough. If you recall it was our youth team manager who led the first team to victory at Sunderland in the cup while Clough watched from the stands. Coops is still manager of the youth team and doing a very good job.

I am not anti Nigel and very much support him but you and Broomo have to realise that it grates with long term fans when you claim (or indicate by association) that every part of the club’s success is down to Clough. Perhaps if you were a little more sensitive to that, you wouldn’t get so much stick.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:00 am

Billy the fish wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Broomo do not get dragged into his confrontational world, this forum is about football, not him

But Belly does have a point Forest have just lost again and if Clough was given the chance to manage forest ( can’t see it myself ) the pair of you would be gone wouldn’t you ??

Believe me if Clough got offered the Forest job and he took it leaving Mansfield in situation were they were struggling, i would go no where near the City ground
Clough has come to Mansfield to do a job , get the club promoted , with a two and a half year contract.
Clough has never jumped ship in his life , and i am sure the Mansfield Fans have made a big impression on him.
Now is the time to pull together as a club , ride this poor spell out, and come out strong.
Clough his honesty and integrity is there for all to see, and loyalty makes the man
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:04 am

Spoken like a true Derby fan ;)
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:11 am

chip63 wrote:Spoken like a true Derby fan ;)

Exactly. With Rooney’s position looking anything but secure, I guess the question it ask Bear is would he go back to Derby if NC went there.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum