{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What do you lot want to achieve?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: What do you lot want to achieve?

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am

bellwhiff wrote:
chip63 wrote:Spoken like a true Derby fan ;)

Exactly. With Rooney’s position looking anything but secure, I guess the question it ask Bear is would he go back to Derby if NC went there.

Derby could be rock bottom 40 points adrift and they wouldn't sack Rooney, they cant afford to pay him off.

Interesting article though about all the experienced free agents he brought in and how theyre doing a job for him.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:41 pm

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and predict that Nartey will come good, and that they were just very expensive teething issues with him getting up to the pace of League 2 football and maybe having Hewitt spontaneously combusting at the side of him. My Burnley season ticket holding boss told me that they loaned a young central defender called Bobby Thomas to Barrow last season and he had a nightmare to start with then ended up getting rave reviews towards the end of the season.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:09 pm

I watched Bobby Thomas in some of those Barrow games. He looked a lot better than Nartey
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:56 pm

Genuine question how as Nartley survived at Chelsea and Burnley ? Never Prem league quality
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:06 pm

I mentioned Bobby Thomas (20) in some previous posts on here. He is more than 2 years younger than Richard Nartey (23) and he has a bit of pace and a long throw. He took the long throw that ironically helped Barrow beat Cheltenham away last season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:19 pm

I feel sorry for Nartey, having Hewitt at the side of him.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm

I would like to read a thread without Bellwhiff getting on his high horse about something and having a go at someone.

I’m going to really push the boat out and also hope he can discuss football occasionally.

That would be a massive achievement
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I would like to read a thread without Bellwhiff getting on his high horse about something and having a go at someone.

I’m going to really push the boat out and also hope he can discuss football occasionally.

That would be a massive achievement

Bless.

There you go.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:I see the under 18s had a good win at Doncaster and i see the under 23s improving showing a lot of attention being paid to our youth system.
Clough always pays attention to the grass roots of a club.
Mansfield struggling at the moment and performances have to improve, i am sure Clough has been in this situation many times

Bear

The club have been developing the youth system for a lot of years.

It’s success has very little if anything to do with Clough. If you recall it was our youth team manager who led the first team to victory at Sunderland in the cup while Clough watched from the stands. Coops is still manager of the youth team and doing a very good job.
rtingI am not anti Nigel and very much support him but you and Broomo have to realise that it grates with long term fans when you claim (or indicate by association) that every part of the club’s success is down to Clough. Perhaps if you were a little more sensitive to that, you wouldn’t get so much stick.

Cooper has you know took the job in May 2019 and he and his coaches have been praised and work with Clough in developing new talent.
The Chad 05/05/2021 Having blooded several young players, and signing 3 under 18s on their 1st professional contract . Clough is delighted to see the club starting to produce its own once more. My comments did nothing to undermine the Job done by Cooper and his coaches
My comment was to highlight the route to the first team from the youth system is showing progress.
Cooper and his staff are doing a excellent job and are part of the team.
Sandy failure will be down to Clough Success will be down to Clough, thats why so many managers are slow to put Academy players in the first team squad.
i just talk football and how i see it, nothing personal, Oh and broomo i do not know him but wished he lived nearer would like a long chat
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:46 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
chip63 wrote:Spoken like a true Derby fan ;)

Exactly. With Rooney’s position looking anything but secure, I guess the question it ask Bear is would he go back to Derby if NC went there.

Derby could be rock bottom 40 points adrift and they wouldn't sack Rooney, they cant afford to pay him off.

Interesting article though about all the experienced free agents he brought in and how theyre doing a job for him.

Not at Birmingham they dint
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 pm

What do I want Mansfield to achieve?

To be a steady league one team personally. It feels like we'll never get there though, like we've a bloody curse to stay in League 2 forever.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:13 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:What do I want Mansfield to achieve?

To be a steady league one team personally. It feels like we'll never get there though, like we've a bloody curse to stay in League 2 forever.

Not a lot to ask. I would like Mansfield to get to the Championship,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:14 pm

bear 73 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:I see the under 18s had a good win at Doncaster and i see the under 23s improving showing a lot of attention being paid to our youth system.
Mansfield struggling at the moment and performances have to improve, i am sure Clough has been in this situation many times

Bear

It’s success has very little if anything to do with Clough. If you recall it was our youth team manager who led the first team to victory at Sunderland in the cup while Clough watched from the stands. Coops is still manager of the youth team and doing a very good job.
rtingI am not anti Nigel and very much support him but you and Broomo have to realise that it grates with long term fans when you claim (or indicate by association) that every part of the club’s success is down to Clough. Perhaps if you were a little more sensitive to that, you wouldn’t get so much stick.

Cooper has you know took the job in May 2019 and he and his coaches have been praised and work with Clough in developing new talent.
The Chad 05/05/2021 Having blooded several young players, and signing 3 under 18s on their 1st professional contract . Clough is delighted to see the club starting to produce its own once more. My comments did nothing to undermine the Job done by Cooper and his coaches
My comment was to highlight the route to the first team from the youth system is showing progress.
Sandy failure will be down to Clough Success will be down to Clough, thats why so many managers are slow to put Academy players in the first team squad.
i just talk football and how i see it, nothing personal, Oh and broomo i do not know him but wished he lived nearer would like a long chat

Sorry Bear but players were coming through to the first team well before Clough was anywhere near the club.

How else can they progress to the first team if the manager doesn’t give them a chance? Of course Nigel has to want them for them to progress but that doesn’t mean he’s responsible for their development. Their success is not necessarily down to Clough.

You may not realise just how condescending you sound at times (yes I’m guilty as well) but you have to realise our club has a long and proud history and will be here when Nigel has gone. I have no problems with Nigel and he has my respect.

MTFC has produced and developed some very good standard players throughout its history who have gone on to play at the highest levels. By no means the best of those, but one we have recently discussed was Tom Naylor who started here before being sold to your very own Derby County. Others have done much better and have played in the Premier League and previous to that the old first division. We are not a small done nothing club who never played a decent game before Nigel arrived. Please realise and acknowledge that and you may not get as many knock backs on this board.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:42 pm

bear 73 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:What do I want Mansfield to achieve?

Not a lot to ask. I would like Mansfield to get to the Championship,

Not a lot to ask? We've only been in League One once in the time I've supported Mansfield from being born in 94.

it might not be much to ask for you, you have only been here for 8 months but it will be a huge achievement for me to get us out of League two and surviving in league one.

We can't keep a clean sheet at the minute, so I'll hold on the champion ambition :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:20 pm

I would like promotion this season and then next season we could look forward to league games v Forest and/or Derby.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:10 pm

bear 73 wrote:

Bear

Sorry Bear but players were coming through to the first team well before Clough was anywhere near the club.

How else can they progress to the first team if the manager doesn’t give them a chance? Of course Nigel has to want them for them to progress but that doesn’t mean he’s responsible for their development. Their success is not necessarily down to Clough.

You may not realise just how condescending you sound at times (yes I’m guilty as well) but you have to realise our club has a long and proud history and will be here when Nigel has gone. I have no problems with Nigel and he has my respect.

MTFC has produced and developed some very good standard players throughout its history who have gone on to play at the highest levels. By no means the best of those, but one we have recently discussed was Tom Naylor who started here before being sold to your very own Derby County. Others have done much better and have played in the Premier League and previous to that the old first division. We are not a small done nothing club who never played a decent game before Nigel arrived. Please realise and acknowledge that and you may not get as many knock backs on this board.

Yes, Clough did a good job of bringing Coleman and McKernon in to the first team :? :lol:
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:38 pm

Nigel Clough was still playing in 1984, learning his trade, but good shout Coleman 37 years ago
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:12 pm

i would just like to have some hope again of being able to keep a clean sheet and hope that we could actually win a game

Nigel Clough certainly isnt daft and i live in hope that he will turn it round, hopefully he will be afforded the time to be able to do that.

However, the defence certainly requires a bit of a tweak shall we say!!
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:18 pm

bear 73 wrote:Nigel Clough was still playing in 1984, learning his trade, but good shout Coleman 37 years ago

I think he was being a bit sarcastic Bear.

I’ll go for Peter Morris and Stuart Boam or you could go a bit further back to Ken Wagstaff. All players who went from Mansfield to the top flight.

Or you could go for Nicky Weaver who Man City bought from us as a 16 year old wonder kid goal keeper in 1995. He went on to play for England under 21’s and was a main stay in the city team for years.

We’ve had others since including Naylor, Bobby Hassle , Leroy Williamson, Liam Lawrence to name just a few.

Our youth set up definitely suffered during our conference years but it was well on the road to recovery before Nigel arrived and I have no doubt it was one of the reasons he decided to come here.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:23 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Broomo do not get dragged into his confrontational world, this forum is about football, not him

But Belly does have a point Forest have just lost again and if Clough was given the chance to manage forest ( can’t see it myself ) the pair of you would be gone wouldn’t you ??

Believe me if Clough got offered the Forest job and he took it leaving Mansfield in situation were they were struggling, i would go no where near the City ground
Clough has come to Mansfield to do a job , get the club promoted , with a two and a half year contract.
Clough has never jumped ship in his life , and i am sure the Mansfield Fans have made a big impression on him.
Now is the time to pull together as a club , ride this poor spell out, and come out strong.
Clough his honesty and integrity is there for all to see, and loyalty makes the man

Like i said early on last week forest fans would have a meltdown taking on a manager who has led a p**spoor league 2 side to the dizxy heights of 20th position!!.

Personnally ive seen absolutely nothing in his management that leads me to believe we'll be successful under him....

Transfer market : terrible... Has brought in some awful players (ie hewitt, stirk, burke and even signing injured players!)
Tactics : negative & boring as hell... Refuses to admit mistakes and too stubborn to change from his ineffective formation, plays his favourites every weekk even if there out of position.
Man management : questionable...has destroyed any shred of confidence left in this team of bottle jobs.

Controversial maybe.. but for me he has to go if we lose Saturday... Get coops back in charge! We looked better under him then we ever have under negative nige!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Broomo do not get dragged into his confrontational world, this forum is about football, not him

But Belly does have a point Forest have just lost again and if Clough was given the chance to manage forest ( can’t see it myself ) the pair of you would be gone wouldn’t you ??

Believe me if Clough got offered the Forest job and he took it leaving Mansfield in situation were they were struggling, i would go no where near the City ground
Clough has come to Mansfield to do a job , get the club promoted , with a two and a half year contract.
Clough has never jumped ship in his life , and i am sure the Mansfield Fans have made a big impression on him.
Now is the time to pull together as a club , ride this poor spell out, and come out strong.
Clough his honesty and integrity is there for all to see, and loyalty makes the man

Like i said early on last week forest fans would have a meltdown taking on a manager who has led a p**spoor league 2 side to the dizxy heights of 20th position!!.

Personnally ive seen absolutely nothing in his management that leads me to believe we'll be successful under him....

Transfer market : terrible... Has brought in some awful players (ie hewitt, stirk, burke and even signing injured players!)
Tactics : negative & boring as hell... Refuses to admit mistakes and too stubborn to change from his ineffective formation, plays his favourites every weekk even if there out of position.
Man management : questionable...has destroyed any shred of confidence left in this team of bottle jobs.

Controversial maybe.. but for me he has to go if we lose Saturday... Get coops back in charge! We looked better under him then we ever have under negative nige!

He will not get sacked if we lose on Saturday.

It's a great idea to keep churning through these managers though int it? Give them one summer to build a team and then just sack them in September.

Who would you rather have than Clough, gazmoose? Can't believe I'm asking that question already
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:36 pm

I don’t think you can describe Cloughs tactics as negative and boring. In fact, if anything they are too gung-ho with the defence we have at the moment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t think you can describe Cloughs tactics as negative and boring. In fact, if anything they are too gung-ho with the defence we have at the moment.

And I certainly wouldn't call Stirk and Burke 'awful' players.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:Tactics : negative & boring as hell...

The defending this season has been dreadful.

But one thing the football has not been is negative and boring. Quite the opposite.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby broomo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

Maybe if folk like you paid the tenner to watch the game instead of pirate streaming, then pulling the manager apart every week, they'd have a bigger budget and wouldn't be piss poor, failing or ready to skulk off with their reputation in tatters.
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum