{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What do you lot want to achieve?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What do you lot want to achieve?

Postby broomo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:40 am

There's a core group who've been anti Nige since the start. I noticed them very early on my time on here and had crossed words with a few even then.

They are now pretending they were patient but after this latest run of defeats are losing faith.

Total raspberrys, they never had faith in the first place.

What do you want? Do you want him fired? If so you're even dafter than I though, and I thought you were very daft even then.

I've just walked through the door after leaving my house at half 5 this morning and I'm as pissed off and disappointed as anyone but for christ sakes get a grip.

We can't sign any new players until January, barring free agents.

I don't care how poor you think his signings were and I agree Hewitt and Nartey both look like liabilities but no manager can legislate for the kind of mistakes those two and others made today.

You could be the worst player in the world and stiĺl not make the kind of schoolboy errors the defenders are making.

Today the first thing we have to deal with is a long ball over the top that should have been cleared long before it got into the danger area. Unforgivable.

The second is the corner when even after missing the first header we've enough bodies back to at least make it difficult.

We're 2 down and we've given ourselves nothing to build on, nothing to cling to and a mountain to climb.

Then after half time we're attacking, both Macca and Ty have 3 chances to put the ball in their box, neither do, another long ball, some really piss weak defending by Nartey and we're 3 down with all hope gone.

Nowt to do with tactics, formation or style of play, just players not doing their jobs at the most basic level. Unforgivable.

Right now I don't care if either Hewitt or Nartey ever play for us again but to suggest it's NC's fault for signing them is ridiculous.

There is no way a professional player at any level can make the kind of mistakes those 2 made but today every single player (with the exception of Hawkins and Bishop) was just disastrous

We need Perch back, we need Clarke and Quinn back and we certainly could do with .Forrester being a real no nonsense central defender.

Those who think Menayesse is the answer are clearly (and maybe deliberately) forgetting he was one of 2 ever presents in Coughlans side and was responsible together with Stech and Sweeney for some absolute howlers.

How do we turn this around?

We win 2 games and soon. It's that simple.

A shout out today for the majority of the fans, who were magnificent but a note that we also have our share of total raspberries.

If you are the bearded bloke in the home top who was screaming "you're a flipping raspberry" at any and every player within earshot, you're a flipping embarrassment of a human being, never mind as a fan.

Find a better way to criticise than that. It's pathetic..
broomo
Manager
Manager

Re: What do you lot want to achieve?

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:55 am

90 ish years of league football, majority spent in the bottom division, occasionally one league better, one year only we were even higher, several we dropped out. I don't think its what we want to achieve, it's more about what we can achieve. League one for a few seasons would be nice, but that's about the best we can ever hope for, history tells us this.

To be honest, I'd be happy with a win at home to Rochdale because we always beat Rochdale at home, always. Well nearly always, its generally a good game for us. If we lose that then I'd settle for a top half finish please.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:31 am

I want to acheive 50 points by May, not much to ask for. Without a defence we gonna find it tough. The gum chewer needs dropping and not be anywhere near the first team again.
The buck stops with Nigel, we either arrest this alarming slump NOW and get points on the board and show some idea or JR'll press the button come November. He cannot afford to lose FL status.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 am

Totally agree with both posts.I was there yesterday and yes we were poor against an average side.Nigel will sort it out I feel sure.COYS.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:39 am

Spiritater wrote:I want to acheive 50 points by May, not much to ask for. Without a defence we gonna find it tough. The gum chewer needs dropping and not be anywhere near the first team again.
The buck stops with Nigel, we either arrest this alarming slump NOW and get points on the board and show some idea or JR'll press the button come November. He cannot afford to lose FL status.

Clough or not it’s points that count not surnames, certain posters need to take them there rose tinted glasses off & smell the coffee.

we cannot defend for toffee, every bloody scout in the league will have the same first two points on the report,

1. ball over the top they cannot defend it, put pressure on the back two
2. any dead ball into the box, their man marking is school boy, fill ya boots

“on paper” great set up & experience, however football isn’t played on paper is it!

sort it Cloughie & quick
Last edited by yorkshire stag on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:40 am

broomo wrote:There's a core group who've been anti Nige since the start. I noticed them very early on my time on here and had crossed words with a few even then.

They are now pretending they were patient but after this latest run of defeats are losing faith.

What do you want? Do you want him fired? If so you're even dafter than I though, and I thought you were very daft even then.

I've just walked through the door after leaving my house at half 5 this morning and I'm as pissed off and disappointed as anyone but for christ sakes get a grip.

I don't care how poor you think his signings were and I agree Hewitt and Nartey both look like liabilities but no manager can legislate for the kind of mistakes those two and others made today.

You could be the worst player in the world and stiĺl not make the kind of schoolboy errors the defenders are making.

Today the first thing we have to deal with is a long ball over the top that should have been cleared long before it got into the danger area. Unforgivable.

The second is the corner when even after missing the first header we've enough bodies back to at least make it difficult.

We're 2 down and we've given ourselves nothing to build on, nothing to cling to and a mountain to climb.

Then after half time we're attacking, both Macca and Ty have 3 chances to put the ball in their box, neither do, another long ball, some really piss weak defending by Nartey and we're 3 down with all hope gone.

Nowt to do with tactics, formation or style of play, just players not doing their jobs at the most basic level. Unforgivable.

Right now I don't care if either Hewitt or Nartey ever play for us again but to suggest it's NC's fault for signing them is ridiculous.

There is no way a professional player at any level can make the kind of mistakes those 2 made but today every single player (with the exception of Hawkins and Bishop) was just disastrous

We need Perch back, we need Clarke and Quinn back and we certainly could do with .Forrester being a real no nonsense central defender.

Those who think Menayesse is the answer are clearly (and maybe deliberately) forgetting he was one of 2 ever presents in Coughlans side and was responsible together with Stech and Sweeney for some absolute howlers.

A shout out today for the majority of the fans, who were magnificent but a note that we also have our share of total raspberries.

If you are the bearded bloke in the home top who was screaming "you're a flipping raspberry" at any and every player within earshot, you're a flipping embarrassment of a human being, never mind as a fan.

I would like us to become a solid league 1 club. Primarily I'm one of the more patient types on here. Whilst agreeing with a lot of what you said I can't understand the lack in quality of the centre halves Nigel has signed. Hewitt especially is a " head scratcher ". I thought at the time, this player has been relegated from League 2 in the last two seasons. Nigel must see something in him. So far I fail to see what.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:41 am

I think it’s silly to talk about sacking Clough. We know his teams can and regularly do achieve better but clearly something is not right.

As good as Nigel is, he can’t do everything alone and maybe we could look at the training staff a little closer. We can’t bring players in but we can appoint a coach to drill the defence. It may or may not help but it should at least be considered and of course it should be Nigel’s choice if he wants to take that route.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:42 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:I want to acheive 50 points by May, not much to ask for. Without a defence we gonna find it tough. The gum chewer needs dropping and not be anywhere near the first team again.

Clough or not it’s points that count not surnames, certain posters need to take them there rose tinted glasses off & smell the coffee.

we cannot defend for toffee, every bloody scout in the league will have the same first two points on the report,

1. ball over the top they cannot defend it, put pressure on the back two
2. any dead ball into the box, their man marking is school boy, fill ya boots

“on paper” great set up & experience, however football isn’t played on paper is it!

sort it Cloughie & quick
Lose football league status ? Really.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 am

Nartey may look like a liability at the moment, and obviously he's struggling. It has to be nerves.

But if you look at his pedigree and the coaches he's impressed, he's clearly a very good defender and deserves some respect. You don't get to be retained by a Premier League club if you're not even up to League 2 standard.

Clough has seen him play in competitive matches against better teams than Walsall on many occasions and has coached him before. If he's really so poor then there's no way that a football expert is going to seek him out and offer a deal.

Stags fans must give him encouragement and hope that he shows what he can do. I don't see any point in undermining his confidence. He'll be well aware that he needs to improve in the next couple of matches, and doesn't need us to emphasise that.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:58 am

broomo wrote:There's a core group who've been anti Nige since the start. I noticed them very early on my time on here and had crossed words with a few even then.

He signed them... Buck stops with Nige im afraid
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Jimstag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:30 am

I think it’s fair to ask questions when you lose 5 games in a row. I think it’s more that the honeymoon is over rather than him in serious trouble at the moment but he needs to stop the rot soon.

The main question I have is how is he going to do it? I was a fan of the team selection yesterday (from options available) but the players let him down, particularly at centre back.

I’ve said elsewhere he’s had a summer and it’s his squad so that excuse only goes so far, yes he’s missing Perch but you can’t be reliant on 1 player. They will get injuries and suspensions because that’s football.

There is a mess, he is now able to see the issues but unable to solve them. Unfortunately that’s his job. He still deserves time but as I say he needs to stop the rot or we’re in a relegation battle again.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:08 am

Bradders wrote:Nartey may look like a liability at the moment, and obviously he's struggling. It has to be nerves.

But if you look at his pedigree and the coaches he's impressed, he's clearly a very good defender and deserves some respect. You don't get to be retained by a Premier League club if you're not even up to League 2 standard.

Clough has seen him play in competitive matches against better teams than Walsall on many occasions and has coached him before. If he's really so poor then there's no way that a football expert is going to seek him out and offer a deal.

Stags fans must give him encouragement and hope that he shows what he can do. I don't see any point in undermining his confidence. He'll be well aware that he needs to improve in the next couple of matches, and doesn't need us to emphasise that.

I agree about what you say about impressing various higher level coaches, so he must have a lot of ability.

But I am sure it was you that mentioned yourself on the day he signed that at Burton he struggled against the ball over his head? I might be wrong and it may not have been you.?

The problem is at league 2 level that is the majority of his workload on match days, and if he can’t deal with that and the physical side other teams and managers will target him.

My only concern with Nigel is if a fan like yourself can spot Nartey weaknesses after watching 20 or so games then surely Nigel should have thought it too much of a risk to bring him into a league 2 side.

We are desperate for a more conventional head it and kick it no nonsense option in the back four

I know he tried to get the lad from Oldham, but once again that all seemed last minute and not planned

We also lack a leader on the pitch and even though Clarke was missing yesterday I don’t think he is the answer.

I understand you don’t just get the players you want it’s not that easy, but with the budget he has and the setup of the club he has made a pretty poor job of the defence so far in his tenure in my opinion.

I am not against Clough and think as a club we are in a much better place with him onboard, but he is not without fault and not sorting the defence this summer is a massive one
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby stag861 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:19 am

It's about time Nigel took some of the responsibility. Most of the team are his players. He got rid of some favourites who didn't fit in for him. He decides the tactics & formation. He's always played with the full backs & midfield pulled in. No use blaming a full back who has two players to mark. His two last day signings were in desperation as his targets could not be signed.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:23 am

On the other hand my question would be to the original poster is that they suggested “that to blame nigel for the signings is ridiculous”

I’m curious as to how that conclusion was reached? who’s fault was it then? the receptionist? the lad pouring pints at halftime? of course it’s him and sharpe - theyve had 2 transfer windows and made the defence worse? however could they not be blamed in some capacity for that?

It’s early days and we’ve got work to do, but i do wonder about some on here at times. Any potential talk of getting rid of him is madness, and also i don’t really recall anyone being “anti nigel” since he came in - he’s a massive coup for us - i’d be inclined to ask for evidence of what appears to be a baseless claim.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Exactly some of his signings have been very poor indeed!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:37 am

Short term I just want us to be able to compete against teams like Walsall, we didn’t do that yesterday and the players and management should be aware they didn’t represent the club as they should yesterday.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:43 am

No one wants anyone to be fired , but what we expect is a reasonable level of success, I have previously said I would be happy for a mid table finish this Season but I have to agree with a large number of supporters here that the signs so far are not favourable. when NC arrived last Season his remit was League 2 survival and he admirably achieved that . This year expectations were higher but unfortunately whoever was responsible for recruiting this Season has not made a good job of it. ok we missed out on a couple of good Centre Halves but that happens. So we go with what we have and that for me is where the problem is. We sent out 2 defenders on loan for the season ( their contracts finish next June) who are arguably better than the ones we recruited...we also signed a temporarily crocked defender who may or may not be available some time soon and he will need match time to get fit. We also signed a CH who appears light weight We are clearly missing Perch but one man doesn't make a team. Most people here are happy with our midfield and striking force but there can be little excuse for the mess the defence is in . its either the coaching , tactics or team selection and unfortunately Broomo that is NC territory and responsibility and in football the manager is where the buck stops. Just hope he sorts it out because the next two games Rochdale and Leyton Orient are going to be tough
Last edited by diablo on Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:45 am

I go along with Broomo's post to a large extent but I really do question what Nigel ever saw in Hewitt, the lad seems to be out of touch and maybe that could be what's effecting Narty a lack of confidence in his defensive partner.

Whatever we say, whatever we think, it's Nigel's job to sort this mess out and, as suggested by another poster, get a defensive coach on board. It seems clear, as I scan the managerial and coaching line up, everyone is an ex striker or wide midfielder, is Kenny Burns or Larry Lloyd looking for a part time job two days a week?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:55 am

Is requoting the entire initial opening post necessary when commenting, please? Just quote specific parts?
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:04 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Is it May already are we discussing 2021/22 season , that went fast, only 3 points of top 8.
On every forum we have sceptics and trolls, and our form at the moment brings them out, we have had failures in the transfer market, we have 3 major players out.and we are having a nightmare
This is a time when characters have to step up, and the last thing we need is a knee jerk reaction, when cool heads are needed
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:24 am

Kenwood wrote:I agree about what you say about impressing various higher level coaches, so he must have a lot of ability.

But I am sure it was you that mentioned yourself on the day he signed that at Burton he struggled against the ball over his head? I might be wrong and it may not have been you.?

The problem is at league 2 level that is the majority of his workload on match days, and if he can’t deal with that and the physical side other teams and managers will target him.

My only concern with Nigel is if a fan like yourself can spot Nartey weaknesses after watching 20 or so games then surely Nigel should have thought it too much of a risk to bring him into a league 2 side.

We are desperate for a more conventional head it and kick it no nonsense option in the back four

No it wasn't me, I hadn't heard of Nartey before he signed for us. What I'm saying is that he's been confirmed as a very talented player by several highly qualified and experienced coaches.

So to just dismiss him as rubbish after a couple of nervy performances is, although understandable, a bit premature. How about giving him some encouragement and see if we can help get that undoubted talent to shine?

Imagine if he starts on Saturday and gets the notion that the Stags fans are willing him on, and give him the feeling that they are prepared to overlook some mistakes and will allow him to settle in.

I hesitate to "blame" the fans, after all they were great yesterday, but sometimes it seems that players are assessed in the first couple of matches and if they don't do well there's no second chance and we make it known that they aren't welcome. Hardly helpful when we're light on defenders and low in confidence.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:40 am

I think I read Broomo stated he could or did struggle under a ball over the top when at Burton

I only remembered because I did think at the time well he will surely be tested at this level

He will be comfortable on the ball, and to be honest most of our players are, the style of football is not an issue in general, we just need to show more fight, strength and win the individual battles. We look lightweight

As you say hopefully NC will sort it soon
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am

For me its not just the back four that are pants... the movement and passing of laps and co in midfield yesterday was raspberry all game, they didn't look interested.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:21 am

I think Lapslie’s confidence was knocked after being dropped on the opening day and now he’s taking time to find his rhythm and get that confidence back. Played and scored in friendlies against Coventry and Forest just before the start of the season and was the main man last season. He probably couldn’t believe he’d not been picked to start. That said, he should have shown far more than he has since coming back in to the side as he’s been poor.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:33 am

Hang on son. Don’t come in here after two minutes shooting the gob.

Name the people who you think are anti NC and have been from the start. I can’t think of one person who didn’t applaud his appointment. I think you’ll struggle to find anyone who doesn’t think he’s the best manager for the job still. This is where YOUR true colours are coming out.

You’re not a Mansfield fan.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum