{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Defensive frailties

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Defensive frailties

Postby broomo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:56 am

lifestags wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
lifestags wrote:The issue unfortunately falls with NC and DS, Last Jan we didn't get Akins and panicked at the last moment with Sarkic and they have done the same again with Forrester and Nartey, the question is why? Is it DS ability to negotiate? Is it Clough being too stubborn?

Or does he rely on his brother too much, either way we have been left short after a transfer window again and it needs looking at, we will struggle defensively until January because of this.

this isnt me trying to be negative about Nigel by the way, I think he is a decent manager but he has definitely made some huge mistakes.

As for Bear and Broomo, no issues with them supporting the club at all, I just want them to be unbiased in their views.[/quo

If sticking up for the manager is biased, if giving him time to turn things around is wrong, if wanting better times is not on, unless immediately.
I feel we are at a cross roads , stick and build, or carry on 1 year no promotion next manager please.
Derby and Forest have took the second road and spent millions says it all, Mansfield have took that route, last season started real well.
And allowing new supporters to spend their cash watching league 2 football, with no issues from you, JR will be over the moon.
Being a positive poster i want as many people watching Mansfield town as the ground will allow, and then bishop st stand being full would bring a real buzz

Not once did I mention us replacing Clough, so what is your point? There is sticking up for a manager and then there is not being able to admit when he has made a mistake, I would say you are letting your personal ''feelings'' about Nigel get in the way of your footballing judgement. Which was always going to be the risk. I was hoping you and Broomo would be insightful with your knowledge of Nigel but also be impartial.

Depends what you mean by impartial.

It seems to me as if I don't just agree he's raspberried things up then I'm blinkered and bias. I even get contacted on twitter by people (perhaps you were one of them?) telling me he'll be under pressure if we lost to Rochdale.

If I don't just blindly agree he screwed the window, I'm blindly ignoring facts.

It's not as easy or black and white as that. Sometimes a transfer just doesn't work out. Doesn't mean anybody messed up as such.

I will say Hewitt has looked a poor buy so far, although I thought he did quite well last week.

There's a reason I'm not ready to "blame" anyone just yet. One, it's too early. 4 games he's played?

And 2, some of Nigels (and therefore Simon's) best ever signings have been centre halfs, or players he's moved there.

I could go right back to his Burton days, Greaves, Tinson, Tony James, Jake Buxton, moving Darren Stride.
At Derby, Barker, Buxton, Shackell, Keogh at Sheff Utd Chris Basham.

They've got a good eye.... usually.

In fact I can only think of one that went badly wrong and that was Andy Butler at Sheff Utd.

With him he realised early he'd dropped a clanger and got rid quickly.

IF Hewitt turns out to be another Andy Butler he'll replace him and he'll fix it. Then I'll be impartial and say he made a mistake but he had to play him to find out and he can't "fix" it until January.

I'm NOT saying he doesn't make mistakes. Every manager does.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:06 am

I’m not on Twitter so it wasn’t me and also I don’t think he will get sacked, not this season anyway.

Fair dews about Hewitt and I know you say that windows don’t work out the way we expect but that’s 2 windows now? Do you not think he left us short? I know it’s easy to say now with all the injuries but let’s face it, I don’t think he has ever fancied Gordon but he’s our first choice right back and we would of still only been left with Rawson, Hewitt and perch at CB.

As I say I do think he is a decent manager but this window and the lack of signings in defence in my opinion will cost us having a go at promotion.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:22 am

as each winless game ticks over, the pressure mounts, it’s that easy win & we are happy, lose & we moan
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 am

lifestags wrote:I’m not on Twitter so it wasn’t me and also I don’t think he will get sacked, not this season anyway.

Fair dews about Hewitt and I know you say that windows don’t work out the way we expect but that’s 2 windows now? Do you not think he left us short? I know it’s easy to say now with all the injuries but let’s face it, I don’t think he has ever fancied Gordon but he’s our first choice right back and we would of still only been left with Rawson, Hewitt and perch at CB.

As I say I do think he is a decent manager but this window and the lack of signings in defence in my opinion will cost us having a go at promotion.

Different windows have different priorities. Yes he's missed out on his main targets in both and that has left us short.

January it was up front once he let Cooke and Maynard leave, maybe he let one of them leave too soon.

The last window, priority was a central defender, I honestly think if Perch wasn't injured we'd have only brought one in.

Again we let 2 defenders leave on loan and again maybe we let one of them go too soon.

So that's his mistake for me.

The mistake has been compounded by the injury to Perch and the fact Hewitt has so far looked poor in both of the positions he was expected to cover.

The injury (and shocking performance) of Nartey hasn't helped.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:43 am

broomo wrote:
lifestags wrote:I’m not on Twitter so it wasn’t me and also I don’t think he will get sacked, not this season anyway.

Different windows have different priorities. Yes he's missed out on his main targets in both and that has left us short.

January it was up front once he let Cooke and Maynard leave, maybe he let one of them leave too soon.

The last window, priority was a central defender, I honestly think if Perch wasn't injured we'd have only brought one in.

Again we let 2 defenders leave on loan and again maybe we let one of them go too soon.

So that's his mistake for me.

The mistake has been compounded by the injury to Perch and the fact Hewitt has so far looked poor in both of the positions he was expected to cover.

The injury (and shocking performance) of Nartey hasn't helped.

Thats fair, and I agree.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:21 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Gazmoose82[quote="Amber Andy wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
broomo wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:if you're just going to bicker and confront other users, then don't post please.

Sort it out then Martin.

Gaz, Parkinson and Bell are responsible for 90% of the arguments on here. At least one of them is clearly a troll.

Like i've said hundreds of times on here... You cannot simply brand someone a troll for having an opinion on something!

A troll is someone who sits on-line all day hurling abuse at somebody... Not someone who thinks Nigel clough has made a complete balls up of managing MTFC and wants to share his opinion.

For Martin to 'sort it out' would mean taking half of stagsnet away!
Isn't that what you are doing ? Sitting on line, hurling abuse at NC ? Seems that way to me pal. You seem to lack the ability or inclination to post anything remotely positive.

Im not constantly hurling abuse at NC... Just pointing out that he has done a terrible job of managing MTFC so far this season....Which is a fact you cant deny looking at the table, the squad and goals conceded column.

This is not trolling is it?
So you cannot see any positives ?
Everything is negative? NC has brought nothing to the club ? All his signings have been failures ? Is that what you think ? All your posts suggest that.[/quote]

Pretty much mate.... At the moment im not seeing any positives or anything worthwhile that NC has brought to the table. Apart from hawkins being half decent i'd say Nige's transfer dealings have been woeful and the current best player (ollie clarke) was brought in by coughlan.

Of course not everyone is as negative as me :lol:
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Johnny H » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:07 pm

broomo wrote:
lifestags wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
lifestags wrote:The issue unfortunately falls with NC and DS, Last Jan we didn't get Akins and panicked at the last moment with Sarkic and they have done the same again with Forrester and Nartey, the question is why? Is it DS ability to negotiate? Is it Clough being too stubborn?

Or does he rely on his brother too much, either way we have been left short after a transfer window again and it needs looking at, we will struggle defensively until January because of this.

this isnt me trying to be negative about Nigel by the way, I think he is a decent manager but he has definitely made some huge mistakes.

As for Bear and Broomo, no issues with them supporting the club at all, I just want them to be unbiased in their views.[/quo

If sticking up for the manager is biased, if giving him time to turn things around is wrong, if wanting better times is not on, unless immediately.
I feel we are at a cross roads , stick and build, or carry on 1 year no promotion next manager please.
Derby and Forest have took the second road and spent millions says it all, Mansfield have took that route, last season started real well.
And allowing new supporters to spend their cash watching league 2 football, with no issues from you, JR will be over the moon.
Being a positive poster i want as many people watching Mansfield town as the ground will allow, and then bishop st stand being full would bring a real buzz

Not once did I mention us replacing Clough, so what is your point? There is sticking up for a manager and then there is not being able to admit when he has made a mistake, I would say you are letting your personal ''feelings'' about Nigel get in the way of your footballing judgement. Which was always going to be the risk. I was hoping you and Broomo would be insightful with your knowledge of Nigel but also be impartial.

Depends what you mean by impartial.

It seems to me as if I don't just agree he's raspberried things up then I'm blinkered and bias. I even get contacted on twitter by people (perhaps you were one of them?) telling me he'll be under pressure if we lost to Rochdale.

If I don't just blindly agree he screwed the window, I'm blindly ignoring facts.

It's not as easy or black and white as that. Sometimes a transfer just doesn't work out. Doesn't mean anybody messed up as such.

I will say Hewitt has looked a poor buy so far, although I thought he did quite well last week.

There's a reason I'm not ready to "blame" anyone just yet. One, it's too early. 4 games he's played?

And 2, some of Nigels (and therefore Simon's) best ever signings have been centre halfs, or players he's moved there.

I could go right back to his Burton days, Greaves, Tinson, Tony James, Jake Buxton, moving Darren Stride.
At Derby, Barker, Buxton, Shackell, Keogh at Sheff Utd Chris Basham.

They've got a good eye.... usually.

In fact I can only think of one that went badly wrong and that was Andy Butler at Sheff Utd.

With him he realised early he'd dropped a clanger and got rid quickly.

IF Hewitt turns out to be another Andy Butler he'll replace him and he'll fix it. Then I'll be impartial and say he made a mistake but he had to play him to find out and he can't "fix" it until January.

I'm NOT saying he doesn't make mistakes. Every manager does.

I agree the players you mentioned where all good signings and good players for NC.
But for me.....they are mostly a similar player, a good solid footballer.

My issue with NC, way before he joined us was that he was being left behind in the style of football currently played by many sides.
The formation he likes to play is dangerous against wide flair players
Hardly any of the above players were flair players, teams and players that like to pass and move and are quick off the mark are hurting us, even at League 2 level.
My (and probably only mine) view is that NC is abit of a dinosaur, his way worked well 10 years ago but football and the players have changed........he hasn't and his style of play hasn't yet !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum