{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Defensive frailties

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Defensive frailties

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:We will see I guess. The thing is, he sent Menayese out on loan when we only had three centre backs, so I don’t really understand his logic there.

time will tell
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:35 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:We will see I guess. The thing is, he sent Menayese out on loan when we only had three centre backs, so I don’t really understand his logic there.

time will tell

I thought Menayese was poor but compared to Hewitt he's not so bad?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:38 pm

oldweststander wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

time will tell

Sweeney was better than the pair of them ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:05 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

time will tell

Sweeney was better than the pair of them ..

He was under Flitcroft. I don't think he was as good with Dempster and Coughlan but the entire team has had a dip in form during those periods. I think he wanted to move on too
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:26 am

"Up Shyt Creek without a paddle".
Never has the phrase been more apt for the situation we find ourselves in now.
Here's hoping young Nigel has some rubber gloves to protect his hands to paddle out if the rapids to the Chasm of Doom come in sight.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Bowery did well today, both defending and holding it up.

Another stupid mistake for the goal but we have a point
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:38 pm

What free agents are available? Unless Forrester is fit for next week we would be left with only 2 senior centre backs.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:41 pm

Gordon once again cost us.He is no right back.Cannot understand why James Clarke isnt getting a start.Not even on the bench today.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Gordon is not improving unfortunately. I thought it looked like there might be a good player in there but there’s no doubting he’s gone backwards. Even when he had the chance to be a winger and drive into the box with acres of space he put in a terrible cross, cue fury from Clough.

What I don’t accept is that he made the mistake today because he’s a winger plying at full back. It was just a downright stupid mistake, nothing to do with positioning or anything like that. Just plain daft.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Gordon is not improving unfortunately. I thought it looked like there might be a good player in there but there’s no doubting he’s gone backwards. Even when he had the chance to be a winger and drive into the box with acres of space he put in a terrible cross, cue fury from Clough.

What I don’t accept is that he made the mistake today because he’s a winger plying at full back. It was just a downright stupid mistake, nothing to do with positioning or anything like that. Just plain daft.

I have come to the point where I do wonder whether James Clarke is not the better choice
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:27 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Gordon is not improving unfortunately. I thought it looked like there might be a good player in there but there’s no doubting he’s gone backwards. Even when he had the chance to be a winger and drive into the box with acres of space he put in a terrible cross, cue fury from Clough.

I have come to the point where I do wonder whether James Clarke is not the better choice

I think we've got to try.

I'm not a fan of Kellan, not even going forward. He has so much of the ball yet rarely delivers any quality or shows any composure

He SHOULD have everything needed to be a very good attacking full back but he can't seem to slow his mind down and relax on the ball

Liked the look of Clarke in his cameos last season and this and believe he offers more of a threat going forward.

Haven't seen enough of him to know how defensively sound he is but have seen enough of Kellan to want to give someone else a crack at it.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:29 pm

Gordon was his usual crappy self again , im sure Cloughie only plays him cos got nobody else .
Needs to go at the end of the season cos im sure he will
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:38 pm

Gordon wasn't overly impressive for derby u23 in premier League two... Was shocked when he went to Swindon on loan, thought he'd end up in non league.

I do like James Clarke and would give him a go.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:33 pm

I really like James Clarke. He played a decent number of games in the Dempster/ Coughlan season and never let anyone down.

We talk about developing young talent and here is a perfect opportunity.

I agree with Broomo, Gordon isn’t just average defensively, but he isn’t great when attacking either.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:08 pm

That ricket today from Gordon was unforgivable.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:27 pm

Better today, but sadly with the inevitable defensive gaffe which is sadly commonplace this season.

HOW do so many clusterfucks happen game in game out? what’s going on here, do we train proerly?

Pleased to stop the rot though we’ve lots to work on
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:54 pm

bellwhiff wrote:That ricket today from Gordon was unforgivable.

Watched it back and Macca playing the ball across the backline to Gordon before he lost the ball wasn't exactly smart either... that type of cross field ball you play in midfield, not at the back. :cry:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:00 pm

adamstag wrote:Better today, but sadly with the inevitable defensive gaffe which is sadly commonplace this season.

HOW do so many clusterfucks happen game in game out? what’s going on here, do we train proerly?

Pleased to stop the rot though we’ve lots to work on

They looked nervous... and its like Scott Carson has said a few times about his mistakes for England. He simply wasn't concentrating and had to learn as he got older, its just 90 minutes he needs to focus for. He said the goal he let in for England he was thinking about what he was going to have for his tea :lol:

The lapses of concentration and silly mistakes are avoidable but its down to the players to bloody wake up.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:That ricket today from Gordon was unforgivable.

Watched it back and Macca playing the ball across the backline to Gordon before he lost the ball wasn't exactly smart either... that type of cross field ball you play in midfield, not at the back. :cry:

I think he intended to kick it diagonally up field and shanked it.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
chris wilson wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Maybe we should bring McLaughlin into the middle to play alongside Rawson and bring one of the young lads into the left back spot.

I'm not sure sticking a 5ft6 bloke at centre half is the answer. Especially when defending is the weakest part of his game.

Gazza, Gazza . It's wingers now at CH :lol:

In all seriousness, how's it come to this? I get the feeling NC only wanted to play Perch sparingly at CH or RB and then because of his rubbish recruitment he became his main man and now we're up the creek.

It's a sorry mess.

:lol:

I have a few ideas, as always to what we could do but it's again square pegs at centre back.

We have 1 fit centre back in Rawson, as it stands. Hewitt, after watching the last few games, just looks like a full back playing centre back. You can just tell with how he deals with balls under pressure, doesn't head it away but looks to hain control and if not put it out for a throw. Except at centre back he seems to try that, realises what he's doing and finding himself correcting what he's doing, as opposed to a natural centre back or experienced pro who have the know how to adapt to a situation.

We aren't in an ideal situation. Far from it. We can't recall Menayese until January. I'm sure there's also a point in January where the recall clause expires, like after week 3 they cannot be recalled. This was to stop sides missing targets in January and leaving another team short.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 pm

Gordon’s been poor so this season but Clarke’s too slow and lightweight from what I’ve seen of him. We need better options.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 pm

I thought right back was one of our strongest positions at the beginning of the season with Gordon Hewitt and Perch covering.
I’m sure Hewitt would be playing there next week if we didn’t need him in the middle.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:00 pm

In a half decent team you wouldn't"t want any of them playing. Wingers playing as full backs is not working and hasn't for some time. The amount of space they leave in behind ,when defending , has been picked up by every visiting team since the Bradford game, and has been used to good effect by them all.
The one player from the defensive four, would be, and then only as back up.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:24 pm

When I watched Hewitt at Notts he was mostly a midfielder and then a right back. He's only played about 20 games at centre half.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:07 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Gordon’s been poor so this season but Clarke’s too slow and lightweight from what I’ve seen of him. We need better options.

There is something about Clarke that I like. I don't know if he is ready but he has looked better each time he played.
He is filling out but he still looks light.
I would want him to be given a go instead of Gordon but accept at this point that this is a huge risk
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum