{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Walsall post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Walsall post match

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:32 pm

------------------Bishop
-------J. Clarke Hewitt Rawson
Gordon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - McLaughlin
-------------Clarke Maris
------------------lapslie
-----------Johnson Hawkins

To quote Gazza above, I like this side and the hard to beat approach probably need to be instilled for a few games. Theres enough in that side to go forward and defend in numbers when needed.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:43 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
ladybr00kjohn wrote:LAST SEASON WE PLAYED 4-3-3 FORMATION , GET RID OF THE DIAMOND IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THESE PLAYERS. MY PICK BISHOP, GORDON J CLARKE RAWSON, CHARSLEY MARIS LAPSLIE, OATES HAWKINS JOHNSON SINCLAIR.

No need to shout.

Love the side BTW.

Is that a back 4 with Charsley at left back?
Or is it a back 3 with Gordon at CB, Charsley at RWB and Hawkins at LWB?

Please explain. 4 forwards, 4 midfielders and 2 defenders to cure our defensive ailments.

Actually we've played 4-3-3 past 2 games.

I get it you're upset but scattergun position picking will make it worse, not better.

For me, assuming we have the same players available as last game (plus Clarke who we know is back) I'd go for.

------------------Bishop

Or if we must go for a back 4

Bishop
J. Clarke Hewitt Rawson Burke
Gordon Clarke Maris McLaughlin
Johnson Hawkins

I'm glad you're not manager then......
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:46 pm

Who would you go for? Assuming we have the same players available plus Ollie Clarke.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:15 pm

I would bring James Clarke in at right back and seriously consider playing Hawkins at centre half.

We simply have to stop conceding goals
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:18 pm

I'd never pick Hewitt again......

J Clarke Rawson Nartey Burke

Clarke Maris Macca

Lapslie

Hawkins DJ

Players in there natural positions would be a start I reckon.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:41 pm

Makes Quinn’s stupidity even more stark
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I'd never pick Hewitt again......

Clarke Maris Macca

Lapslie

Hawkins DJ

That was going to be my "back 4" pick but I thought Clarke and burk would need more protection. Granted Macca would protect Burke more that O. Clarke would protect J. Clarke. 4-4-2 was back to basics.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:23 pm

Any clips of the game up yet ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:23 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I'd never pick Hewitt again......

Clarke Maris Macca

Lapslie

Hawkins DJ

Obviously the plus side of this is that Clarke and Burke are natural full backs like you say but I’d be very concerned we’d be making a lightweight back line even more lightweight. There would be a huge lack of experience between them as well. Clarke, Burke, and Rawson played together against Harrogate B team in the pizza trophy as well and it was poor.

It’s been a tough few weeks, but from what I’ve seen of the players we have so far, McLaughlin is still our best option at left back, and Gordon is still our best option at right back (other than Perch who will always play centrally considering the mess there). People will probably scoff at that because they’re not natural full backs and we keep losing, but personally I just don’t see how our replacements would improve us defensively. Not a great place to be in. Don’t think McLaughlin has been bad either generally.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:24 pm

To be honest I struggled picking a team to be fair...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:26 pm

O'Keeffe is a better attacking right back than Gordon ( who has never impressed me since coming back into the side ) .
Hewitt signing was a rushed one , in my opinion & should have gone into non league , which is his level .
Nartey is more of a prima donna than a footballer & hasnt shown nothing to strenghten our defence .
& why do we sign a defender that is injured , that doent help our plight .
I honestly think that we signed these 2 players to keep our supporters quiet in the final transfer day ... poor show from Sharp & co :( :roll:
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:To be honest I struggled picking a team to be fair...

It is a head scratcher! We’ve got to hope that Perch is back sooner rather than later, and the Stoke lad can get off to a bit of a flyer and get some confidence from it. In the meantime, Rawson definitely needs to come back in.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:50 pm

yorkstag wrote:I would bring James Clarke in at right back and seriously consider playing Hawkins at centre half.

We simply have to stop conceding goals

And why not play Gordon in front of Clarke and McLaughlin in front of Burke, in the hope that the wings are now doubly insured and we can attack with width. ( sorry I should not use the phrase attack with width when talking about MTFC, it`s heresy)
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Matt Taylor Post Match Interview

Nigel Clough - BBC Nottingham Interview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09vqkg8

I have not seen any pace from Richard Nartey. He looked like he was pulling a caravan for the third Walsall goal.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Painful Viewing. Different angles of George Miller's two goals.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:53 pm

Thanks Tippy. Nartley is poor, never Prem standard.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:15 pm

west country stag wrote:O'Keeffe is a better attacking right back than Gordon ( who has never impressed me since coming back into the side ) .
Hewitt signing was a rushed one , in my opinion & should have gone into non league , which is his level .
Nartey is more of a prima donna than a footballer & hasnt shown nothing to strenghten our defence .
I honestly think that we signed these 2 players to keep our supporters quiet in the final transfer day ... poor show from Sharp & co :( :roll:

You would have wept for years had we not signed anyone.... christ we know the narrative, we had targets, missed out on them to league one clubs and went for the next in the chain.

Singing Forrester was wise, we've not paid a penny for him yet until he joins, its like a signing outside of the window. I cant imagine he would be a stoke still if he's worse than Hewitt :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:17 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:To be honest I struggled picking a team to be fair...

It is a head scratcher! We’ve got to hope that Perch is back sooner rather than later, and the Stoke lad can get off to a bit of a flyer and get some confidence from it. In the meantime, Rawson definitely needs to come back in.

Highlights how much depth we lack when all over the pitch our backups are inexperienced kids, we have a decent first 11 when everyone is fit and on their game, one or two injuries and suspensions and its so difficult to pick a side.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:22 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
west country stag wrote:O'Keeffe is a better attacking right back than Gordon ( who has never impressed me since coming back into the side ) .

You would have wept for years had we not signed anyone.... christ we know the narrative, we had targets, missed out on them to league one clubs and went for the next in the chain.

Singing Forrester was wise, we've not paid a penny for him yet until he joins, its like a signing outside of the window. I cant imagine he would be a stoke still if he's worse than Hewitt :lol:

Nartey is still at Burnley and he looks on a par with Hewitt :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 pm

The One wrote:Thanks Tippy. Nartley is poor, never Prem standard.

He didn't even look arsed that he had just been embarrassed like that... He already doesn't give a raspberry about the club, his half attempt to block their first goal was piss poor too, he just wants some minutes then will piss off back to Burnley. Seriously letting the the club down.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Nartey is still at Burnley and he looks on a par with Hewitt :lol:

I thought that soon as Id posted it :shock: ... lets hope Burnleys academy is far worse than stoke :lol:

I think Nartey and Hewitt would struggle in the conference.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Sedgwick wrote:christ we know the narrative, we had targets, missed out on them to league one clubs and went for the next in the chain.

I'm not sure Tom Naylor (holding midfield player), Sam Hughes (injured) and Carl Piergianni (dreadful defending in the last two games for Oldham) were the answer to our centre half problems.

Nigel Clough was very critical of Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney last season so the onus was on him and his backroom staff to bring in better central defenders. They have failed to do that and so we may end up having another season treading water. To make it worse they have loaned out Rollin Menayese who may lack concentration at times but who does know how to head a ball. You have to ask serious questions about whoever is doing our scouting and recruitment.

I would go back to playing Farrend Rawson and Elliott Hewitt at centre half who played reasonably well together as a pair at Swindon. We only conceded the one goal and generally dominated the game. Farrend Rawson definitely has to start. I'd also stick young George Cooper on the bench instead of Richard Nartey.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:46 pm

Sedgwick wrote:------------------Bishop

To quote Gazza above, I like this side and the hard to beat approach probably need to be instilled for a few games. Theres enough in that side to go forward and defend in numbers when needed.

James Clarke at centre back? He’s a full back and a lightweight one at that, he’d get bullied at centre back even more than Hewitt and Nartey have.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:18 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:christ we know the narrative, we had targets, missed out on them to league one clubs and went for the next in the chain.

I'm not sure Tom Naylor (holding midfield player), Sam Hughes (injured) and Carl Piergianni (dreadful defending in the last two games for Oldham) were the answer to our centre half problems.

Nigel Clough was very critical of Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney last season so the onus was on him and his backroom staff to bring in better central defenders. They have failed to do that and so we may end up having another season treading water. To make it worse they have loaned out Rollin Menayese who may lack concentration at times but who does know how to head a ball. You have to ask serious questions about whoever is doing our scouting and recruitment.

I would go back to playing Farrend Rawson and Elliott Hewitt at centre half who played reasonably well together as a pair at Swindon. We only conceded the one goal and generally dominated the game. Farrend Rawson definitely has to start. I'd also stick young George Cooper on the bench instead of Richard Nartey.

Naylor played a lot of games as a centre back and was an absolute revelation, both in terms of reading of the game and use of the ball.

He would have been incredible at this level.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:31 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:------------------Bishop

James Clarke at centre back? He’s a full back and a lightweight one at that, he’d get bullied at centre back even more than Hewitt and Nartey have.

I think you've quoted the wrong person. That's my pick based on what we have now (ie assuming perch and Forrester are still injured).

Nartey is having a terrible time, there only Nartey and Rawson who are fit and actual centre backs. Rawson got the nod, Hewitt has experience at CB and Clarke has a little bit so until Forrester and Perch are fit they would be in the side. That's assuming Forrester is any good.

The reason for the back 3 is the way to beat us is a bit of pace out wide and height and pace up front and just ping a ball into space behind our attacking full backs or between our centre halves. We have a good midfield so just bypass it.

I do see the irony in my complaints having players out of position then picking 2 players out of position, but we have 1 capable centre back out injured along with another potentially capable centre back. I just want n numbers at the back to try and stop the leak which seems to have started gushing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum