{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Walsall post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Walsall post match

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:17 pm

ElwoodBlues wrote:Cloughie is experienced enough to sort it

Keep the faith.

I genuinely don’t think it’s sortable with the current defensive personnel, unless the solution is to score 4 every game. Even Clough said that they either learn or get replaced, only trouble is that the replacing window only closed a fortnight ago.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Marky Mark wrote:

Keep the faith.

I genuinely don’t think it’s sortable with the current defensive personnel, unless the solution is to score 4 every game. Even Clough said that they either learn or get replaced, only trouble is that the replacing window only closed a fortnight ago.

Rawson will play next game... Hes experienced enough to stand up and be counted now he knows he will be dropped asap. He did ok when he came on today but Nartey let them all down again.

A bloke said to me, in relation to Gordon and Macca... "who are the full backs playing behind them? Clear as day they're wingers".... and whilst Ive said they have both played enough games there to be capable I see what he meant... Because they don't defend as a unit, When one goes forward the others dont drop back and slot across like they should, the positioning throughout the game was miles off.

McLaughlin has been our best player, when hes going forward... I am now starting to see the square pegs in round holes problem. I think we'd have a very good side with four defenders across the back and Macca and Gordon either side on the wing, they're both dangerous going forward.

It doesn't feel like we have a proper defence in place at all.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:26 pm

Only at Mansfield can a manager sign players then threaten them with the chop for not being good enough.

Is our longstanding failure at managerial level actually covering up something more deep-rooted and problematic?

We've gone backwards every game since Bristol rovers. What the heck is Clough doing.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:44 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Only at Mansfield can a manager sign players then threaten them with the chop for not being good enough.

Is our longstanding failure at managerial level actually covering up something more deep-rooted and problematic?

We've gone backwards every game since Bristol rovers. What the heck is Clough doing.

He signed someone on loan at Derby, they had a shocker and he told them to go back to their parent club after the game in his interview. Im sure broomo will know the details of it :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yellas-derek-yellas » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:29 pm

How to lose the dressing room.
yellas-derek-yellas
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:31 pm

yellas-derek-yellas wrote:How to lose the dressing room.

To be fair, the way Narty lost his man, with his turn of pace even the dressing room could lose him!

Oh sorry you meant Clough.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Only at Mansfield can a manager sign players then threaten them with the chop for not being good enough.

He signed someone on loan at Derby, they had a shocker and he told them to go back to their parent club after the game in his interview. Im sure broomo will know the details of it :lol:

Let's hope he reads through the match thread tonight, I'd send Nartey back now :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:38 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Let's hope he reads through the match thread tonight, I'd send Nartey back now :lol:

i can’t find the quote but someone said apparently he was on the verge of the burnley first team and had turned down offers from league 1.

Was the source of this information on spice at the time?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:44 pm

4 - 3 - 3 anyone :)
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:4 - 3 - 3 anyone :)

Still be the same raspberry 4 who look like they've just took up the sport
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:02 pm

I’ve still got faith in Clough but the fact he had to take off his own signing at half time shows he’s also guilty of not being good enough recently.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:08 pm

Man i thought coughlans man management was terrible... Cloughie is taking things to a whole new level!.

Calling out players like this in public reeks of desperation....is negative nige ready to throw in the towel?
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:41 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:Man i thought coughlans man management was terrible... Cloughie is taking things to a whole new level!.

Calling out players like this in public reeks of desperation....is negative nige ready to throw in the towel?

That is a hell of a leap of imagination
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:51 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:Man i thought coughlans man management was terrible... Cloughie is taking things to a whole new level!.

Well how do you see him recovering from this?... Its clear as day that several players do not want to play under him! I mean why would want to work for a boss who calls you s**t infront of thousands of people every week? I know i wouldnt.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby ElwoodBlues » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:58 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Well how do you see him recovering from this?... Its clear as day that several players do not want to play under him! I mean why would want to work for a boss who calls you s**t infront of thousands of people every week? I know i wouldnt.

That depends on your character, for me I would do everything I could to prove and show him he's wrong.

I'm pretty sure cloughie knows exactly what he's doing .
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:06 pm

ElwoodBlues wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:

That depends on your character, for me I would do everything I could to prove and show him he's wrong.

I'm pretty sure cloughie knows exactly what he's doing .

Well if he does know what hes doing then he's doing an extremely good impression of a man who is fast running out of ideas!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:10 am

It was Tomasz Cywka on loan from Wigan, a fairly creative player who on his day could be very good but wasn't the brightest lad in the world.

Derby were struggling at the bottom end of the table but were beating Portsmouth at home 1-0 when in the last minute Cywka tried to take someone on on the edge of the area. Lost the ball ans Portsmouth equalised. Costing the team a vital 2 points.

Nigel said unless he learns to make the right decisions he can go back to Wigan or wherever he came from.

He then picked him to play in the next 3 league games.

All of this poor man management raspberrys from people who have no idea how to manage a raffle.

The number of players who re-sign to play for him down to his management style is very telling indeed.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Brough » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:37 am

Keep the faith.

Funny guy!
Brough
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:08 am

He calls players out for errors week in, week out and continues to pick them. At the end of last season he was calling the same players out over and over again without changing the side, there was a stage he rarely even made substitutions. This year he's doing the same but has other options to replace them with. Hewitt was slaughtered after the Bradford game but was straight back in after a game out. Rawson is the scapegoat at the moment but is clearly now needed. To be honest, I can't see what he's going to do. He's gone through all the players now and they're all not up to it.

Nothing can change til January regardless who is to blame so we're all kind of stuck with it. I'd suggest that targets were identified and any failure to sign those targets lies with Sharpe, he's the contracts guy, he's the one who sanctions the signings.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:11 am

Clough got it bang on, the Stag fans were fantastic, and deserve better than what they got, once the players cross the line they have to do their jobs, which clearly they did not.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am

bear 73 wrote:Clough got it bang on, the Stag fans were fantastic, and deserve better than what they got, once the players cross the line they have to do their jobs, which clearly they did not.

Clough got nothing bang on
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby ladybr00kjohn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:13 pm

LAST SEASON WE PLAYED 4-3-3 FORMATION , GET RID OF THE DIAMOND IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THESE PLAYERS. MY PICK BISHOP, GORDON J CLARKE RAWSON, CHARSLEY MARIS LAPSLIE, OATES HAWKINS JOHNSON SINCLAIR.
ladybr00kjohn
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Outstanding team selection right there John.
Cant wait to see Charlsley at left back.
Cant believe NC not thought of that before.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:26 pm

ladybr00kjohn wrote:LAST SEASON WE PLAYED 4-3-3 FORMATION , GET RID OF THE DIAMOND IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THESE PLAYERS. MY PICK BISHOP, GORDON J CLARKE RAWSON, CHARSLEY MARIS LAPSLIE, OATES HAWKINS JOHNSON SINCLAIR.

No need to shout.

Love the side BTW.

Is that a back 4 with Charsley at left back?
Or is it a back 3 with Gordon at CB, Charsley at RWB and Hawkins at LWB?

Please explain. 4 forwards, 4 midfielders and 2 defenders to cure our defensive ailments.

Actually we've played 4-3-3 past 2 games.

I get it you're upset but scattergun position picking will make it worse, not better.

For me, assuming we have the same players available as last game (plus Clarke who we know is back) I'd go for.

------------------Bishop
-------J. Clarke Hewitt Rawson
Gordon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - McLaughlin
-------------Clarke Maris
------------------lapslie
-----------Johnson Hawkins

Or if we must go for a back 4

Bishop
J. Clarke Hewitt Rawson Burke
Gordon Clarke Maris McLaughlin
Johnson Hawkins
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:32 pm

ladybr00kjohn wrote:LAST SEASON WE PLAYED 4-3-3 FORMATION , GET RID OF THE DIAMOND IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THESE PLAYERS. MY PICK BISHOP, GORDON J CLARKE RAWSON, CHARSLEY MARIS LAPSLIE, OATES HAWKINS JOHNSON SINCLAIR.

Who’s playing centre half and left full back out of that selection?

I agree though about the formation, but I’d consider a traditional 4-4-2.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum