{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Walsall post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Walsall post match

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:50 am

broomo wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:christ we know the narrative, we had targets, missed out on them to league one clubs and went for the next in the chain.

I'm not sure Tom Naylor (holding midfield player), Sam Hughes (injured) and Carl Piergianni (dreadful defending in the last two games for Oldham) were the answer to our centre half problems.

Nigel Clough was very critical of Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney last season so the onus was on him and his backroom staff to bring in better central defenders. They have failed to do that and so we may end up having another season treading water. To make it worse they have loaned out Rollin Menayese who may lack concentration at times but who does know how to head a ball. You have to ask serious questions about whoever is doing our scouting and recruitment.

I would go back to playing Farrend Rawson and Elliott Hewitt at centre half who played reasonably well together as a pair at Swindon. We only conceded the one goal and generally dominated the game. Farrend Rawson definitely has to start. I'd also stick young George Cooper on the bench instead of Richard Nartey.

Naylor played a lot of games as a centre back and was an absolute revelation, both in terms of reading of the game and use of the ball.

He would have been incredible at this level.

Unfortunately though Broomo, he currently is playing at this level and he is currently incredible. Incredibly bad that is.

I have no doubt the lad is very rusty and is not currently playing to his normal level. The question is though, can our club afford to give him the game minutes when we are in the middle of a very poor and disjointed run of results?. Our confidence is draining away in front of our eyes and until we are in a position to play him alongside a steady experienced partner, we are doing the lad no favours by continuing his ordeal.

I would start with Rawson and Hewitt next match unless we are stunned with an unexpected signing of a quality unattached player (highly unlikely :D ). Nartey needs to get his head down and work hard and hope for a full game in the pizza trophy in a month’s time.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 am

I think you misread Broomo’s post, SPBS, he was talking about Naylor.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:23 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Painful Viewing. Different angles of George Miller's two goals.

Painful stuff to watch, I've seen discarded crisp bags blowing round the pitch with more strength and idea than those two.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:30 am

time for a change

Biship

Macca
Nartley
Hewitt
Rawson
Gordon

Lapslie
Clarke
maris

Johnson
Hawkins

We need to tighten up, lets get that extra defenisve cover. We know gordon and macca and get down the wings
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:44 am

Walton Stag wrote:I think you misread Broomo’s post, SPBS, he was talking about Naylor.

Yes you are correct.

Apologies Broomo, I thought you were talking about Nartey’s time at Burton.

My thoughts on Nartey still stand though, they were just posted in the wrong context.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:50 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:time for a change

Biship

Macca
Nartley
Hewitt
Rawson
Gordon

Lapslie
Clarke
maris

Johnson
Hawkins

We need to tighten up, lets get that extra defenisve cover. We know gordon and macca and get down the wings

Yes play all the defenders that are mistake prone together haha wouldn't let Hewitt play again untill were desperate. However I'd probably just about prefer him to nartey atm

Rawson at the back with?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:James Clarke at centre back? He’s a full back and a lightweight one at that, he’d get bullied at centre back even more than Hewitt and Nartey have.

James Clarke was awful at centre half against Matlock.

I'd start with Rawson and Hewitt on Saturday with George Cooper on the bench. I'd warn them both that if they do not head the ball away then young George is coming on. The other option is to play Oli Hawkins in defence
Managers live or die by their signings and it certainly looks like Nigel Clough and his staff may have signed a few lemons in defence. We have not had a centre half crisis like this since Hasloan only allowed Stuart Watkiss £500 per week to sign replacements for Les Robinson and Adam Barrett and he ended up signing Mark Lever and Neil Moore.

If Nigel can sort the centre halfs out then we have enough quality in the team to finish in the top 10. If he fails to sort it out then we could easily be bottom four. Fingers crossed for a James Perch recovery, Farrend Rawson returning to his no nonsense best and Will Forrester being as good as the Stoke fans say he is.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:James Clarke at centre back? He’s a full back and a lightweight one at that, he’d get bullied at centre back even more than Hewitt and Nartey have.

James Clarke was awful at centre half against Matlock.

I'd start with Rawson and Hewitt on Saturday with George Cooper on the bench. I'd warn them both that if they do not head the ball away then young George is coming on. The other option is to play Oli Hawkins in defence
Managers live or die by their signings and it certainly looks like Nigel Clough and his staff may have signed a few lemons in defence. We have not had a centre half crisis like this since Hasloan only allowed Stuart Watkiss £500 per week to sign replacements for Les Robinson and Adam Barrett and he ended up signing Mark Lever and Neil Moore.

If Nigel can sort the centre halfs out then we have enough quality in the team to finish in the top 10. If he fails to sort it out then we could easily be bottom four. Fingers crossed for a James Perch recovery, Farrend Rawson returning to his no nonsense best and Will Forrester being as good as the Stoke fans say he is.

I always thought Moore and Lever (shudder)were our worst CH partnership I had seen in the Football League until last Saturday, that takes some doing
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:46 am

Highlights

The first goal is due to poor defending by Hewitt and Nartey. The second goal is down to Oli Hawkins and Stephen McLaughlin. The third is down to Nartey again. Farrend Rawson cannot be blamed for the third goal. He was just expecting Nartey to put it into touch or knock it back to Bishop.

Another goal for the Stags from a corner (2nd phase) with an assist for Farrend Rawson and Kellan Gordon and Ryan Stirk being involved in the build up. Love the finish by the DJ. That will boost his confidence.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:53 am

~Was sinclair really marking one of their tallest players for that 2nd?
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:55 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:~Was sinclair really marking one of their tallest players for that 2nd?

Tyrese is watching the man on the edge of the box
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum