{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

John Radford, programme notes: safe-standing terrace

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: John Radford, programme notes: safe-standing terrace

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:12 pm

We have. Will be on show very soon.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Wasn't it supposed to be up a month ago?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Oh when i saw this posted i thought a decision had been made, I think the club have arrived at a crossroads keep throwing money at players or build a structure that reflects the club
The Radfords have given this club a life line, and now is the time to concentrate on their investment.
With a small but dedicated fan base, selling a club with a good ground holds up financially.
The One Call is a 3 sided stadium in 2021, and the Premier league well with a possible 12000 fan base is not realistic.
League 1 is the most challenging league for a small club with a trap door of 4 clubs, so when that is achieved a club being promoted has to have stability, because only £750. 000 gained by promotion. A nice smart standing terrace on Bishop st will add value to the club and increase capacity.
The ground would now be viable and be suitable right up to the championship only having to be updated to all seater after 4 years.
Every one looking at the club is amazed by what potencial the club offers,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 pm

Discussing putting a new scoreboard up on the bish is a a bit 'cart before horse'.

We should be rebuilding the whole stand.and integrating the scoreboard into the new stand. I've mentioned Warrington Wolves having a decent terrace but saw the Boston main stand the other day and it looked good, something we could do along the Bishop street side.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:37 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Discussing putting a new scoreboard up on the bish is a a bit 'cart before horse'.

We should be rebuilding the whole stand.and integrating the scoreboard into the new stand. I've mentioned Warrington Wolves having a decent terrace but saw the Boston main stand the other day and it looked good, something we could do along the Bishop street side.

I agree regarding the Boston stand it looks good .
Longer we wait the more it will cost to build
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:11 pm

We must hold some kind of record for the most knackered scoreboards ever owned by one club.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby nobby+2 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:07 pm

Where would the entrance and exit be to the stand and would it just be away fans
nobby+2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:32 pm

Sneag wrote:We must hold some kind of record for the most knackered scoreboards ever owned by one club.

Good thing to say to mates of clubs in the prem though.

“bet you’ve not got a 3 sided stadium featuring 2 broken scoreboards” beat that :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:53 pm

nobby+2 wrote:Where would the entrance and exit be to the stand and would it just be away fans

The old Bishop St stand had turnstiles on Bishop St & on Quarry Lane.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby iansmith » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:24 pm

nobby+2 wrote:Where would the entrance and exit be to the stand and would it just be away fans

If it's based on the Harrogate FC Stand it should have turnstiles at both the North Stand End & Quarry Lane End. This would allow the option of use by away supporters when the North stand is full and/or additional home fans when we draw Man U in the cup! With proper segregation (as at Harrogate) the stand could also be used on some match days by both sets of fans.

Without this type of flexibility I've mixed feelings. The existing stand is an eyesore so it would be great to do something. Then again, at the moment we're using, on average, just over 30% of the existing capacity.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:45 pm

iansmith wrote:

If it's based on the Harrogate FC Stand it should have turnstiles at both the North Stand End & Quarry Lane End. This would allow the option of use by away supporters when the North stand is full and/or additional home fans when we draw Man U in the cup! With proper segregation (as at Harrogate) the stand could also be used on some match days by both sets of fans.

Without this type of flexibility I've mixed feelings. The existing stand is an eyesore so it would be great to do something. Then again, at the moment we're using, on average, just over 30% of the existing capacity.

I can't imagine we'd build a stand without that flexibility. I really do think we should be doing it right now, gates are able to sustain the current squad so I would have thought the money JR has previously used to subsidise the squad could be channelled into a new stand. With grants and sponsorship and a fairly small stand I cannot imagine it would cost him the earth.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:30 pm

How much d'ya reckon then Rob. I bet the demolition cost would be 2- 300,000 before we even laid a brick.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:07 pm

It's a shame ol' Keith's electric heater was turned off in 2007 else it could have burnt down and the remains would still look better than what we currently have! In all seriousness it almost certainly would have helped move things along, even if was just flattened with a fence put up.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:29 pm

Spiritater wrote:How much d'ya reckon then Rob. I bet the demolition cost would be 2- 300,000 before we even laid a brick.

Don't we have someone on the board who might be able to get his hands on a bulldozer or two?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:46 pm

To demolish the Bish isn't easy what with the houses and Gym close to the perimeter. The onlt way to do it is rip up therracing the QL side and work along. T'is a fiddly operation with access and egress very limited to the site. Can't risk dozers and dump trucks on t'pitch either
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Johan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:48 pm

Offer a crowbar and a sledgehammer to a few folk on here and we’ll have it done in no time.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:49 pm

Spiritater wrote:To demolish the Bish isn't easy what with the houses and Gym close to the perimeter. The onlt way to do it is rip up therracing the QL side and work along. T'is a fiddly operation with access and egress very limited to the site. Can't risk dozers and dump trucks on t'pitch either

Builders are reet good at puttin up buildings on tiny footprints these days 'tater.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:07 am

Spiritater wrote:To demolish the Bish isn't easy what with the houses and Gym close to the perimeter. The onlt way to do it is rip up therracing the QL side and work along. T'is a fiddly operation with access and egress very limited to the site. Can't risk dozers and dump trucks on t'pitch either

If be amazed if any refurb of that side wouldn’t include the re-laying of the terracing
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 am

Fully understand John Radfords reasons for not doing anything with it. There are also a lot of good reasons to actually do so.

Always think its a shame when we play away at other league 2 grounds that in comparison to our 3 rebulit stands dont look as good as FM ,but in reality are all the better for being 4 sided grounds.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:59 am

if we were challenging for promotion I think this would have gone ahead this season but at this time I cannot see why JR would spend his money.

However, if somehow we can turn this season around league 1 could provide gates of 8000+for at least 6 games, if not more.

The income from the advertising would need to be replaced by fans and add to the fact some seated fans would opt for the cheaper terrace would not bode well in our current situation
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 am

Standing up is my preferred way of watching football. Well, until I broke my leg :)

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Laney_MTFC » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:34 am

does the bishop street stand need knocking down? could they not renovate it and do it that way? or is it unsafe?
Laney_MTFC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:42 am

Laney_MTFC wrote:does the bishop street stand need knocking down? could they not renovate it and do it that way? or is it unsafe?

It’s an out of date dump and an eyesore. The rest of the ground looks really impressive, especially at night. The BS needs a complete replacement. I assume it’s wood and probably has asbestos in it too

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:18 am

Perhaps a 12th Stag initiative is in order, collaboration with thr SSA to provide a funding source for the Bishop Street Stand. I wonder if Paul Nyland fancies getting his band back together :lol:
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:37 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Laney_MTFC wrote:does the bishop street stand need knocking down? could they not renovate it and do it that way? or is it unsafe?

It’s an out of date dump and an eyesore. The rest of the ground looks really impressive, especially at night. The BS needs a complete replacement. I assume it’s wood and probably has asbestos in it too

I bet that's why Keith didn't manage to burn it down.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum