{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

John Radford, programme notes: safe-standing terrace

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: John Radford, programme notes: safe-standing terrace

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:59 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Laney_MTFC wrote:does the bishop street stand need knocking down? could they not renovate it and do it that way? or is it unsafe?

It’s an out of date dump and an eyesore. The rest of the ground looks really impressive, especially at night. The BS needs a complete replacement. I assume it’s wood and probably has asbestos in it too

It's actually mostly brick and concrete, under the stand are quite a number of small rooms and it's quite a substantial and well built building. I believe asbestos was cleared when they replaced the roof. I agree though, I don't think modernising would work and would look a bit odd with three newish stands. The only thing is to level it. I do understand those who argue it isn't necessary, but I disagree, the club is about more than just it's players who come and go, it's about the fans and the ground too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:45 pm

Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Laney_MTFC wrote:does the bishop street stand need knocking down? could they not renovate it and do it that way? or is it unsafe?

It’s an out of date dump and an eyesore. The rest of the ground looks really impressive, especially at night. The BS needs a complete replacement. I assume it’s wood and probably has asbestos in it too

It's actually mostly brick and concrete, under the stand are quite a number of small rooms and it's quite a substantial and well built building. I believe asbestos was cleared when they replaced the roof. I agree though, I don't think modernising would work and would look a bit odd with three newish stands. The only thing is to level it. I do understand those who argue it isn't necessary, but I disagree, the club is about more than just it's players who come and go, it's about the fans and the ground too.

I think I have been in there once ever and I’m sure it was wooden benches so that’s maybe what has made me think that.

It needs to go.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:16 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I think I have been in there once ever and I’m sure it was wooden benches so that’s maybe what has made me think that.

It needs to go.

Yeah as a kid I sat on those wooden benches, they were removed a long time ago, probably late 80s post Bradford. It's quite something inside the stand actually, really is a throwback, I'd love to go back in for a last look around before they knock it down.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:29 pm

it’s an absolute eyesore & is ridiculed by every away fan, there must be some sort of grant along with a local Stags friendly builder who could sort it out ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:49 pm

What happened to the hotel idea ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:12 pm

The One wrote:What happened to the hotel idea ?

I think he was beaten to the punch by Travelodge ond the old bus station redevelopment.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:02 am

If I was JR, I'd be getting my planning application in asap because we're going to need the capacity next season.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:31 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:If I was JR, I'd be getting my planning application in asap because we're going to need the capacity next season.

Absolutely, another point regarding the stadium is that when it's anywhere near full the facilities really aren't capable of coping with the numbers. Even in the Lower tier yesterday, which was far from full, their were huge queues for toilets and refreshments at half time. It really needs sorting out.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:51 pm

Rob wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:If I was JR, I'd be getting my planning application in asap because we're going to need the capacity next season.

Absolutely, another point regarding the stadium is that when it's anywhere near full the facilities really aren't capable of coping with the numbers. Even in the Lower tier yesterday, which was far from full, their were huge queues for toilets and refreshments at half time. It really needs sorting out.

The facilities in the stand don't feel like they were constructed with a full house in mind, it's so cramped and ill designed.

Honestly think they should go with increased kiosks outside for the time being.

I don't even know what can be done inside.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bozzy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:20 pm

One of the main reasons I don't go to games anywhere near like I used too, can't stand only having the choice of 2 stands it just kills it for me..
bozzy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:40 pm

If ... and it is a big 'If' ... If we get promoted this season, then we will need to do something rapidly over the summer to enable the Bishop street side to accommodate more fans. We therefore need to be assessing our options now and getting in the necessary planning permission, just in case.

I suspect that it might be a case of approx. £2m for a decent seated stand, or £1m for a smaller, temporary, terraced stand? But either way, we need to get cracking with preparations ... just in case. (As failure to do so might result in significant lost revenue next season, if we are in league 1).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:46 pm

If we do get promotion this season the club will lose money next season and not just when the big clubs come. We have a lack of hospitality, particularly individual boxes
Sunderland, Derby, Portsmouth will certainly want more than the 1700 only offered (out of 2000 for some reason) in the North Stand
If smaller supported clubs come they are still getting a 2000 capacity stand to put 300/400 in.
Similarly our home end capacity cant be much more than 6500 . We normally sit West Stand Lower B Block and although I left it until Friday was told there were non available. A Block wasn't offered for sale either, so the only option given was the North Stand end of the ground or QLE ( which I went in for the first time in years) Despite not being full the facilities were totally over run and inadequate. Over 30 minutes wait for refreshments.
The reality is that the ground at present is fit for 5000 or less.
We know whose fault it was but the present owners do need to plan for the future to match their on pitch ambitions with the ground infrastructure.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:24 pm

bozzy wrote:One of the main reasons I don't go to games anywhere near like I used too, can't stand only having the choice of 2 stands it just kills it for me..

Really :shock: you don't go for that reason.

I go to watch the footy and would sit on an empty milk crate to watch the lads.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:43 pm

Spiritater wrote:
bozzy wrote:One of the main reasons I don't go to games anywhere near like I used too, can't stand only having the choice of 2 stands it just kills it for me..

Really :shock: you don't go for that reason.

I go to watch the footy and would sit on an empty milk crate to watch the lads.

So true. What bizarre reasoning :shock: :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:47 pm

Another Gazmoose?
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:49 pm

Cockney Stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

The facilities in the stand don't feel like they were constructed with a full house in mind, it's so cramped and ill designed.

Honestly think they should go with increased kiosks outside for the time being.

I don't even know what can be done inside.

They could start by having two tills in the kiosks rather than one. I feel sorry for the staff working in there, they’re mostly young men and women, they take plenty of stick for what I imagine is very little reward.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:14 pm

I’m sure they are …but I would expect the SSA as the fans representatives to be talking to the club hierarchy about all these issues , because as others have said if we do go up we will need the infrastructure to satisfy considerably larger crowds from both home and away supporters
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:35 pm

As I said earlier the ticketing system , operational structure , reduced capacity and only 2 stands for home fans is set up for less than 5000 in league 2 . If we do go up David Sharpe is going to be a very busy man .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:00 pm

https://www.lancs.live/sport/works-accr ... m-14638264

Work on champions Accrington Stanley’s new £1 million stand at the Crown Ground will begin next week and last for 30 weeks.

The Whinney Hill ‘Cowshed’ stand will house more than 1,100 home and away spectators, while there will be new floodlights and new toilet and catering facilities.

I think if we're looking at redeveloping Bishop Street we need to follow the lead of Accrington Stanley who built a very tidy 1,100 seater a couple of years ago at a cost of £1.3m and time taken of just 32 weeks.

Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:27 pm

Talking about a standing area on the Bishop St side.

Some posters have said, if promoted, we have to take advantage of the large following some visiting teams would bring, say Derby for instance.

How about building a safe standing BSS stand but NOT selling season tickets for it. Then when more space is required for larger visiting support it can be used exclusively for them. On those occasions when visiting support is much less, it can be for home supporters only on a pay per game basis.

Just an idea?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:36 pm

Cockney Stag wrote:https://www.lancs.live/sport/works-accrington-stanleys-new-1m-14638264

Work on champions Accrington Stanley’s new £1 million stand at the Crown Ground will begin next week and last for 30 weeks.

The Whinney Hill ‘Cowshed’ stand will house more than 1,100 home and away spectators, while there will be new floodlights and new toilet and catering facilities.

I think if we're looking at redeveloping Bishop Street we need to follow the lead of Accrington Stanley who built a very tidy 1,100 seater a couple of years ago at a cost of £1.3m and time taken of just 32 weeks.

I suspect we wouldn’t be able to play at home for all of those weeks it was being constructed.

Due to the room and houses on Bishop St, we’d have to build from the front, hence the full backs would have to jump over a couple of JCB’s each home game.

That and the pitch having tractor tyres might be a problem !
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:37 pm

Essentials are:

The new stand has to maximize capacity as the development potential along there is small.

It also needs to be used flexibly to allow.up to half of.it.to be used for away fans on the odd occasion. So that means having separate entrances and exits and methods of segregation for toilets and kiosk etc.

It also has to be covered from the elements.

The Desirables are:

Corporate and or community space

Integrated scoreboard, TV gantry and floodlights.

Seating.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:41 pm

Any construction would come with logistical issues, there's very little space on that side as we know.

The stand at Accrington was the most recent stand with a similar depth for cost and time comparison.

It's used for home and away fans.

It's sacrilegious to suggest but I always thought about turning the pitch 90° but cost wise that wouldn't be realistic.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:01 pm

A stand such as that one at Accrington would look great. A new stand will go some way to saving a few match balls going into the houses behind, I counted at least 4 balls lost yesterday. :lol:

As for the need for corporate boxes, could the club possibly take out a 'chunk' of block N of the upper tier and convert it into a couple of boxes? Then all the corporate hospitality can be in one area rather than in a new Bishop street stand.
It also bugs me that the directors box doesn't sit on the half way line so this would bring back some symmetry. :lol:

And another thing, this new stand must not be called the Bishop Street stand after one of the most deprived streets in the town.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:09 pm

Tre Cool wrote:A stand such as that one at Accrington would look great. A new stand will go some way to saving a few match balls going into the houses behind, I counted at least 4 balls lost yesterday. :lol:

As for the need for corporate boxes, could the club possibly take out a 'chunk' of block N of the upper tier and convert it into a couple of boxes? Then all the corporate hospitality can be in one area rather than in a new Bishop street stand.
It also bugs me that the directors box doesn't sit on the half way line so this would bring back some symmetry. :lol:

And another thing, this new stand must not be called the Bishop Street stand after one of the most deprived streets in the town.

Maybe we should call it The Bishop's Avenue after one of the wealthiest streets in London.

Agree about centralising the directors area. Could move all the media and commos to the new Bish as well.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum