{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Racist Remark Reported

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Racist Remark Reported

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:16 am

There’s a story in the CHAD that someone reported hearing a racist remark being uttered by home fans during the game on Saturday. Firstly I’m ashamed that one of our fans would come out with such a thing, but secondly I’d like to thank and support the person who reported it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Racist Remark Reported

Postby Jimstag » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:27 am

That’s sad. Hope they find and educate the people responsible, I say educate as if you straight bad them they are just going to go be racist somewhere else.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:28 am

been coming for some time, sad times
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 am

The word uttered is a little concerning, it's a lot different to shouting out.
I'm all for stopping racial abuse in football and beyond but overhearing a comment is slightly different.
A quiet word to the person involved and a little education is what's needed sometimes.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby dp_mans856 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:46 am

chip63 wrote:The word uttered is a little concerning, it's a lot different to shouting out.
I'm all for stopping racial abuse in football and beyond but overhearing a comment is slightly different.
A quiet word to the person involved and a little education is what's needed sometimes.

Being racist is being racist , regardless of whether is shouted out or not, myself and a friend were the ones that reported the person, this wasn't just a single comment made, but from the very first whistle every time Richard Nartey made a bad pass, tackle you name it , they were on at him. Any other player...... Complete silence. The comment made towards the end of the game was atrocious, and simply no place for at all. A quiet word is all good and well if they listen, several attempts were made by myself throughout the game asking them to encourage rather than berate them, obviously this didn't hit home and needed to be made an example of. End of the day there is no educating a racist mentality
dp_mans856
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Il cervo bianco » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:50 am

dp_mans856 wrote:
chip63 wrote:The word uttered is a little concerning, it's a lot different to shouting out.

Being racist is being racist , regardless of whether is shouted out or not, myself and a friend were the ones that reported the person, this wasn't just a single comment made, but from the very first whistle every time Richard Nartey made a bad pass, tackle you name it , they were on at him. Any other player...... Complete
silence. The comment made towards the end of the game was atrocious, and simply no place for at all. A quiet word is all good and well if they listen, several attempts were made by myself throughout the game asking them to encourage rather than berate them, obviously this didn't hit home and needed to be made an example of. End of the day there is no educating a racist mentality

Absolutely spot on.
Il cervo bianco
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:55 am

dp_mans856 wrote:

Being racist is being racist , regardless of whether is shouted out or not, myself and a friend were the ones that reported the person, this wasn't just a single comment made, but from the very first whistle every time Richard Nartey made a bad pass, tackle you name it , they were on at him. Any other player...... Complete silence. The comment made towards the end of the game was atrocious, and simply no place for at all. A quiet word is all good and well if they listen, several attempts were made by myself throughout the game asking them to encourage rather than berate them, obviously this didn't hit home and needed to be made an example of. End of the day there is no educating a racist mentality

Well done for passing this onto the authorities, especially as it appears not to be an isolated incident and occurred throughout the match.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I don’t know what word was uttered and from the post above from the person who reported it (well done to you) it wasn’t one instance, which would he had enough in itself.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:24 pm

dp_mans856 wrote:

Well done for reporting.

Can I ask whereabouts you were sat roughly?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby dp_mans856 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
dp_mans856 wrote:

Well done for reporting.

IG Lower C Block
dp_mans856
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:32 pm

Jimstag wrote:That’s sad. Hope they find and educate the people responsible, I say educate as if you straight bad them they are just going to go be racist somewhere else.

Totally agree, banning someone doesn't solve racism, which ultimately as a society should be the aim.
Unfortunately though, if someone is racist in the first place there's something fundamental there that's gone wrong, and likely beyond reeducation. Best case scenario in most instances is just stopping the hate speech
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:35 pm

dp_mans856 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
dp_mans856 wrote:

Well done for reporting.

IG Lower C Block

Thank you, I think I witnessed the aftermath, saw some stewards/security around that area.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby golfer03 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:01 pm

I was sat in that same block against Bradford with my son and 6 year old grandson attending his second stags match. The Neanderthal 2 rows behind could only shout comments that included f**k or c**t.
golfer03
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stag324 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:28 pm

dp_mans856 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
dp_mans856 wrote:

Well done for reporting.

IG Lower C Block

I was sat extremely close to you and if it was the person I am thinking it was, they also had a child with them, which makes it even worse.

Racism is not a footballing issue, it is a wider society issue. It is learned behaviour and comes down to basic morales.

If more followed your example and spoke out we might just slowly turn the tide.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:46 pm

You can't educate a racist, especially one who is public with it. All you can do is keep banning them whilst educating the future generations.

Whilst I'm sure you heard what you heard, that isn't always the case... A couple of seasons back, the lad who i sit near shouted something to the ref (who was black). People a few rows down, one of which is black, misheard and they all kicked off, making all sorts of accusations. The lad in question was clearly upset by this and not a racist at all. They simply misheard and go there knickers in a twist. Thankfully it was all sorted out in the end, not before a few people nearly came to blows over it...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Are you for real.

Racism is still racist if it's whispered or shouted.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:36 pm

dp_mans856 wrote:

Well done. You were spot on with your actions. I dread to think how Richard Nartey felt and you two guys plus the others around you who had to listen to it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:08 pm

We really are breeding a snowflake generation , no one likes racist remarks but like Irish /Scottish / French /jokes it will never go away ..
Last edited by Billy the fish on Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Billy the fish wrote:We really are breeding a snowflake generation , no one likes racist remarks but like Irish /Scottish / French / it will never go away ..

Is it a snowflake thing to report racism? I think it's just being a good human being to report racist abuse no matter what is said
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:28 pm

Billy the fish wrote:We really are breeding a snowflake generation , no one likes racist remarks but like Irish /Scottish / French / it will never go away ..

That doesn't make it right. One things for sure if it's ignored it will get worse.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Brilliant Nartey asked to come to Mansfield and is the subject to racist comments, well done for reporting it, we do not want this behaviour at the club
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:48 pm

It is being deal with, can we leave it now please?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:43 pm

oldweststander wrote:It is being deal with, can we leave it now please?

No. You don’t get to shut down debates.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:43 pm

Billy the fish wrote:We really are breeding a snowflake generation , no one likes racist remarks but like Irish /Scottish / French /jokes it will never go away ..

Are you seriously comparing racist comment with Irish jokes ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:18 pm

stag324 wrote:Racism is not a footballing issue, it is a wider society issue.

Racism in sport is almost exclusively football.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum