{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our Manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Our Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:59 am

I do think clough is a very good manager but i do question the tactic of 11 man defending from set pieces. It is surely proven against Harrogate that this tactic is worse than poor. There was so many players in the box we could not move or defend properly. fgs leave a minimum of 3 players on the half way line so there is an outlet to get the ball forward quickly and there would be AT LEAST six less bodies in our defensive box. Bishop couldnt get off his line to deal with the ball coming in, he was constantly blocked in. Less bodies in the box will allow the keeper to come out and catch the ball then get it forward quicker to the front three. Please clough sort this tactic to the bin
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:15 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:I do think clough is a very good manager but i do question the tactic of 11 man defending from set pieces. It is surely proven against Harrogate that this tactic is worse than poor. There was so many players in the box we could not move or defend properly. fgs leave a minimum of 3 players on the half way line so there is an outlet to get the ball forward quickly and there would be AT LEAST six less bodies in our defensive box. Bishop couldnt get off his line to deal with the ball coming in, he was constantly blocked in. Less bodies in the box will allow the keeper to come out and catch the ball then get it forward quicker to the front three. Please clough sort this tactic to the bin

Very good point. Darragh MacAnthony said that Peterborough decided to change their defending against long throws after the Cardiff game and left three up front against West Brom to declutter the box and to create more space for their defenders and keeper to see the ball coming in to help them clear it.

I remember Crawley leaving three up front for corners a few seasons ago.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:24 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:I do think clough is a very good manager but i do question the tactic of 11 man defending from set pieces. It is surely proven against Harrogate that this tactic is worse than poor. There was so many players in the box we could not move or defend properly. fgs leave a minimum of 3 players on the half way line so there is an outlet to get the ball forward quickly and there would be AT LEAST six less bodies in our defensive box. Bishop couldnt get off his line to deal with the ball coming in, he was constantly blocked in. Less bodies in the box will allow the keeper to come out and catch the ball then get it forward quicker to the front three. Please clough sort this tactic to the bin

Very good point. Darragh MacAnthony said that Peterborough decided to change their defending against long throws after the Cardiff game and left three up front against West Brom to declutter the box and to create more space for their defenders and keeper to see the ball coming in to help them clear it.

WBA's winning goal came from a long throw which was cleared to the halfway line, WBA cleared it back as Posh were coming out and they were then left 4 on 3 at the back. So that worked well :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:34 pm

Flitcroft used to get criticism for the same thing.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:40 pm

Even if you leave one up the opposition will leave at least two back to mark him which means there's three less in our box!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

WBA's winning goal came from a long throw which was cleared to the halfway line, WBA cleared it back as Posh were coming out and they were then left 4 on 3 at the back. So that worked well :lol:

They cleared the long throw though Sam and then Burrows lost possession/slipped and Thompson did not track back
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

They cleared the long throw though Sam and then Burrows lost possession/slipped and Thompson did not track back

Second phase though, as Clough has mentioned today. If they didn't have three players forward, would they have been able to clear the second phase too? Who knows.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Peterborough cleared the ball into West Brom''s half! :lol: The defence had done their job and cleared the ball. Burrows (midfield) then lost possession near the halfway line.

I think George Foster was the first Mansfield manager I remember who brought everybody back for corners at Field Mill.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Peterborough cleared the ball into Cardiff's half! :lol: The defence had done their job and cleared the ball. Burrows (midfield) then lost possession near the halfway line.

I think George Foster was the first Mansfield manager I remember who brought everybody back for corners at Field Mill.

Jesus H Christ that was some clearance then!!! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:58 am

mtfcjake1 wrote:I'm curious to see how O'keefe would fit into our current side.

With difficulty he is at Rochdale, I am amazed at all the good players Clough has moved on how many have gone to the Championship, How many have we sold for profit.
This leads me to think we have mostly lower league players and young hopefuls, How are the foundation at Mansfield are we getting value from our Academy.
In what direction do we spend the budget, The Manager has to put a jigsaw puzzle together, fitting each piece into place.
Over the next two years how many of the under 23s will be good enough to make the first team, When we go up have we the resources to stay up.
Players are out on loan for a reason, We have a team of dedicated professionals and as a fan i trust them, After today their is Tomorrow.
and sometimes we forget and just look at today. Mansfield Town will be here for ever but in what league. In Clough We Trust
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:59 pm

Been thinking about “ in Clough we trust “, you are correct bear 73 !

On paper Cloughie is an absolute gem for the Stags, a proper manager with a great CV, history tells us he is loyal to the cause, however no manager is above fans criticising / discussing poor results & their opinion on formations, tactics, substitutions & new players.
I make no excuses for questioning any of the above however i’m always up to be proven wrong in relation to our football club.

You have my full support Cloughie just start winning a few youth please, it really does take me a few days to get over piss poor defeats these days
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:40 pm

We only had one piss poor defeat, this season is much easier than last.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Been thinking about “ in Clough we trust “, you are correct bear 73 !

On paper Cloughie is an absolute gem for the Stags, a proper manager with a great CV, history tells us he is loyal to the cause, however no manager is above fans criticising / discussing poor results & their opinion on formations, tactics, substitutions & new players.
I make no excuses for questioning any of the above however i’m always up to be proven wrong in relation to our football club.

You have my full support Cloughie just start winning a few youth please, it really does take me a few days to get over piss poor defeats these days

Absolutely spot on.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:09 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Been thinking about “ in Clough we trust “, you are correct bear 73 !

I think hes got everyones full support and most hope he will be here for a good few years... Personally think it would be nice to have one of the longest serving managers in the EFL here.

Definitely not above criticism but I think some fans are expecting him to perform miracles and get everything spot on immediately.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:01 pm

I would be happy for mid table finish at the moment , anything higher would be a bonus
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:10 pm

Our manager needs to have a long hard look in the mirror.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bluenyellow » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:18 pm

He will get us out of this division,but which way i wonder ?
Doc said i needed a pacemaker,so ive now got a flippin kenyan 2 yds in front of me everywhere i go.
bluenyellow
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby diablo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:13 pm

adamstag wrote:
diablo wrote:Just seen the Clough post match interview...he thought we played well...really ???...and according to him we still have problems in the centre of defence....well that's pretty obvious but no excuses NG the central defence today were your chosen men..ok maybe not what you hoped for, but hey I've got news for you Maguire and Stones aren't available for Mansfield Town FC. ..but Menayese and O'Keefe were...you never really gave them a chance did you?...and yet they appear to be doing quite well on their loans at other Clubs...and saying you can't wait the get Perch back in the team..words fail me, you are obviously very good at spending someone else's money...as JR said we have the largest squad in League one and two and have now lost 4 games on the trot , Todays performance was abysmal as were your comments .....and can you please sign players who were NOT involved with you at Burton as there are other clubs out there with equally as good or even better than ex Burton Albion players

Mansfield will never, ever have better manager than clough.

Do you not understand just how lucky we are to have him as manger?

Really ? I am trying to understand honestly I am....but at the moment its difficult
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 pm

diablo wrote:
adamstag wrote:
diablo wrote:Just seen the Clough post match interview...he thought we played well...really ???...and according to him we still have problems in the centre of defence....well that's pretty obvious but no excuses NG the central defence today were your chosen men..ok maybe not what you hoped for, but hey I've got news for you Maguire and Stones aren't available for Mansfield Town FC. ..but Menayese and O'Keefe were...you never really gave them a chance did you?...and yet they appear to be doing quite well on their loans at other Clubs...and saying you can't wait the get Perch back in the team..words fail me, you are obviously very good at spending someone else's money...as JR said we have the largest squad in League one and two and have now lost 4 games on the trot , Todays performance was abysmal as were your comments .....and can you please sign players who were NOT involved with you at Burton as there are other clubs out there with equally as good or even better than ex Burton Albion players

Really ? I am trying to understand honestly I am....but at the moment its difficult

It’s a fair point at present, i can’t understand how he’s
been caught with his pants down in both transfer windows and how we’ve got a worse defence than what we had last season.

The Gk midfield and defence looks ok just the defence!
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Unbelievable thread.

Some on here need to give their heads a shake.

The troll is turning people's heads.

Well it just appears that at the moment many people on here are unhappy with what is happening on the pitch..Personally I don't blame the manager entirely for their current form however someone somewhere is responsible for the new , not very successful yet , signings especially the defenders
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Johnny H » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 pm

diablo wrote:
adamstag wrote:

#

I fully agree with you Diablo.....I said it when we appointed him.
He is a dinosaur and miles behind current managers and the way the game is played.
NC insists on a diamond or us being very narrow.....we have no support for the full backs and too many players playing out of their natural position.
We hardly ever look like scoring 2 or more goals and as such once we have conceded we are up against it !
His CV reads very good......but its years old and newer exciting managers have shown him up too many times in the last few years at Burton and our beloved MTFC.
I really do not get the NC love in....other than 1 run of 5 straight wins where has he improved us in 12 months ?????
C'mon NC........show us your pedigree, at the minute you are blaming everyone other than yourself !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 pm

diablo wrote:

Well it just appears that at the moment many people on here are unhappy with what is happening on the pitch..Personally I don't blame the manager entirely for their current form however someone somewhere is responsible for the new , not very successful yet , signings especially the defenders

what’s with the elephant in the room here, Clough is to blame easy said it !

should he be sacked?, of course not however he has to stand up & be counted
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:32 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
diablo wrote:

what’s with the elephant in the room here, Clough is to blame easy said it !

should he be sacked?, of course not however he has to stand up & be counted

I think the head of Recruitment should be taking some stick too..
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby marksay » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:47 pm

I think that Sharpe needs to lay on his sword for the tripe that’s on the pitch defensively . Cloughie sounded dare I say it like Coughlin in post match . Asked what can you do , get better players . Okeefe and Mayounese are better but they are on loan . So why haven’t we got better CBS. You can’t put all the eggs in one basket ie Perch , you must have depth in squad. When NC was asked in August you happy with squad it was a yes good cover all over the pitch.

NOT THE CASE
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cerfjaune » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:02 pm

marksay wrote:I think that Sharpe needs to lay on his sword for the tripe that’s on the pitch defensively . Cloughie sounded dare I say it like Coughlin in post match . Asked what can you do , get better players . Okeefe and Mayounese are better but they are on loan . So why haven’t we got better CBS. You can’t put all the eggs in one basket ie Perch , you must have depth in squad. When NC was asked in August you happy with squad it was a yes good cover all over the pitch.

NOT THE CASE

How many times does it have to be said: Sharpe is not in charge of recruitment.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum