{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Never been more confident

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Never been more confident

Postby Field Mill » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 pm

So we've lost two on the bounce. Big disappointment but the big picture is Rosy. I've never been more confident that we're in the right hands. We'll win plenty of games this season so the odd defeat shouldn't be too much of a worry. A centre half will come in before the window closes and the missed chances will start to be converted. As the season starts to take shape it will be us, Orient, Bradford and a few others making the running. Our squad will evolve.
Relax and enjoy the ride.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Never been more confident

Postby the saint » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:47 pm

hear ...hear ...
the saint
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby AlanStag » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:21 am

I agree we look a good side even with probably the most difficult start of all teams in the league. We’ve been on the end of some bad refereeing decisions away from home too.

If we carry on playing as we have we should beat the poorer sides in the division. However I think these games have shown us we’re not quite good enough defensively yet to really contend for the top 3.

If you finish strongly enough Bolton showed you can steam into the top 3 late on. But realistically I think play offs are the aim for me.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:11 am

Field Mill wrote:So we've lost two on the bounce. Big disappointment but the big picture is Rosy. I've never been more confident that we're in the right hands. We'll win plenty of games this season so the odd defeat shouldn't be too much of a worry. A centre half will come in before the window closes and the missed chances will start to be converted. As the season starts to take shape it will be us, Orient, Bradford and a few others making the running. Our squad will evolve.

Well said young man.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:39 am

Were already better and look much brighter than year and it's not good enough for some.

Agree with all the above. Clough isn't a magician and it'll take time to build the right squad

Future is bright
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:48 am

Never been more confident as the thread says.

NC is a proven manager over time not just 5 games. He had us right at the end of last season albeit without any forwards.

I agree with what people are saying about DJ...he looks and feels like he's off it but he's a proven goalscorer at this level and will come good. ...Oates needs a flukey goal to get off the mark and then watch them both go.

As for refereeing decisions like yesterday ask yourselves why former Premier League referee Bobby Madeley is now in League 2.

In Nigel we trust...back to Field Mill ....let's lift the roof next week.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:08 am

Field Mill wrote:So we've lost two on the bounce. Big disappointment but the big picture is Rosy. I've never been more confident that we're in the right hands. We'll win plenty of games this season so the odd defeat shouldn't be too much of a worry. A centre half will come in before the window closes and the missed chances will start to be converted. As the season starts to take shape it will be us, Orient, Bradford and a few others making the running. Our squad will evolve.

well said after all it is a long long season with many twist and turns, and it is a ride we take every year,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:11 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:Never been more confident as the thread says.

NC is a proven manager over time not just 5 games. He had us right at the end of last season albeit without any forwards.

I agree with what people are saying about DJ...he looks and feels like he's off it but he's a proven goalscorer at this level and will come good. ...Oates needs a flukey goal to get off the mark and then watch them both go.

As for refereeing decisions like yesterday ask yourselves why former Premier League referee Bobby Madeley is now in League 2.

In Nigel we trust...back to Field Mill ....let's lift the roof next week.

It’s nothing to do with his refereeing ability.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:38 am

I don’t think you could criticise any ref or assistant for missing the fantom goal in real time. It is even contentious looking at the video. Goal line technology needs to be introduced to all professional leagues.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:46 am

ST4GS wrote:I don’t think you could criticise any ref or assistant for missing the fantom goal in real time. It is even contentious looking at the video. Goal line technology needs to be introduced to all professional leagues.

Yeah you can. It’s literally the lino’s job.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:59 pm

If clough can not get us promotion I don’t think anyone can
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:38 pm

We must stick to the plot, improvement each season and we cannot fail, 16th last year their is certainly room for it, start on the basics just like a foundation for a building.
Manager, what if we do not get promotion, owner well we try again next year, In CLOUGH WE TRUST.
Top seven should be realistic.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:01 pm

bear 73 wrote:We must stick to the plot, improvement each season and we cannot fail, 16th last year their is certainly room for it, start on the basics just like a foundation for a building.
Manager, what if we do not get promotion, owner well we try again next year, In CLOUGH WE TRUST.

Provided Forest don’t tempt him away.
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:10 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:We must stick to the plot, improvement each season and we cannot fail, 16th last year their is certainly room for it, start on the basics just like a foundation for a building.

I suspect he would not be tempted by the current set up
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:13 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
ST4GS wrote:I don’t think you could criticise any ref or assistant for missing the fantom goal in real time. It is even contentious looking at the video. Goal line technology needs to be introduced to all professional leagues.

It's really hard to see things like that, you often can't get level and the view of the ball is often obscured. I've watched this back multiple times and can see why the AR could not be sure it crossed the line and therefore didn't give it. You and Pete sat roughly in line and disagree so it wasnt a Lampard, though my gut feeling is it probably was just over. We should have goal line technology as ST4GS says, paid for by a transfer fee tax or something similar.

I agree with Field Mill, we've had a very tough start, with a lot of new players, I am still very confident.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:27 pm

It would cost about £4.5 million to install in L1 and L2 (or 9 weeks of Ronaldo's pay)
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:29 pm

:mtfc: :coys: Well at least this topic is a positive one & not like the usual moaners and doom merchants... ok its a mixed bag of results
Up to now ... fgs we’ve only played five league games, Nigel will get it right.. and lets face it we are playing better football
Than we did this time last season ... so lets be positive,confident and be happy we have a quality manager at the helm. :coys:
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkstag » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:26 pm

To see why look who haven't posted :D
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:10 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:

I suspect he would not be tempted by the current set up

When Forest finally pull the plug on Hughton they would be stupid not to go for Chris Wilder with his recent record and living 45 minutes up the M1. If ever anyone would be right for them he would but would he want to work for a foreign owner again.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:52 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Agreed and he was bang in line. Awful decision.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:38 pm

On the whole at a high level, I completely agree.

On the other hand, as much as I can take heart from a good performance, I also worry at playing well and not getting anything that we 'deserved'.

Last 3 games should have probably been 5 points, but we got 1. Add to that personal errors and gaping missed chances.

Yes - a lot to be positive about. But we are no way there.
Still a lot of improvement to do and work to be done.

COYS
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:48 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:

Why would forest want a failing mansfield town (ex derby) manager?....there fans would have a absolute meltdown.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:19 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:

Why would forest want a failing mansfield town (ex derby) manager?....there fans would have a absolute meltdown.

Failing? Christ you're as bad a numpty Norman
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:21 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:

Failing ? For real ? My god what a clopper
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:47 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:

Being a polite person i will answer this positive post on Stagsnet.
Clough the longest serving Derby County manager since 2001 ,and certainly produced a playoff final team, on a shoe string budget and consolidated the club from debt.
Clough refused the Forest job in 2017 after being offered the managers job.
iClough joined Mansfield on Nov 6th 2020, with them having not won a game, and went on to sustain league status, while reducing the playing budget.
2021 Mansfield sit 7th in league 2, with Clough having had 1 month of his first full season, .
Being a person not interested in facts and clearly misguided Clough having had a grand total of 8 months in a club struggling at the time without a win ,
May i say your commitment to this forum is admirable, but i find the vast majority on Stagsnet very knowledgeable and your waffle is full of nonsense.
All goals set in 2020/21 achieved, August not out yet in 2021/22, So your statement is absolute rubbish, [ posting on Stagsnet are you on the right forum ]
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum