{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Never been more confident

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Never been more confident

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:50 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:We must stick to the plot, improvement each season and we cannot fail, 16th last year their is certainly room for it, start on the basics just like a foundation for a building.
Manager, what if we do not get promotion, owner well we try again next year, In CLOUGH WE TRUST.
Top seven should be realistic.

Provided Forest don’t tempt him away.

Why would forest want a failing mansfield town (ex derby) manager?....there fans would have a absolute meltdown.

Being a polite person i will answer this positive post on Stagsnet.
Clough the longest serving Derby County manager since 2001 ,and certainly produced a playoff final team, on a shoe string budget and consolidated the club from debt.
Clough refused the Forest job in 2017 after being offered the managers job.
iClough joined Mansfield on Nov 6th 2020, with them having not won a game, and went on to sustain league status, while reducing the playing budget.
2021 Mansfield sit 7th in league 2, with Clough having had 1 month of his first full season, .
Being a person not interested in facts and clearly misguided Clough having had a grand total of 8 months in a club struggling at the time without a win ,
May i say your commitment to this forum is admirable, but i find the vast majority on Stagsnet very knowledgeable and your waffle is full of nonsense.
All goals set in 2020/21 achieved, August not out yet in 2021/22, So your statement is absolute rubbish, [ posting on Stagsnet are you on the right forum ]

Still can't get over how good that squad was... McLaren gets all the plaudits for that season but Nigel built that squad, the best Derby squad for decades and on absolute minimal budget. Criminal they didn't get promoted and criminal Nigel got hardly any credit
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:05 pm

He didn’t get credit because he didn’t achieve anything with them I suppose.

You could say would you give Coughlan plenty of credit if we get promoted this season given he signed half the current first team?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:He didn’t get credit because he didn’t achieve anything with them I suppose.

You could say would you give Coughlan plenty of credit if we get promoted this season given he signed half the current first team?

You can say I'm biased (and you'd be right) but the failing was in trusting the ex agent CEO who couldn't spot that Derby were playing incredible football and that things were about to click big time.

Him getting sacked when he did was ridiculous. Things came to a head when the CEO didn't believe Jake Buxton was good enough to play and went out and signed Zak Whitbread who hadn't played for 2 years due to injury. Gave him the promise of a contract after the end of the loan spell, he of course hardly ever played.

The fact McLaren and subsequent managers were able to sign single players for more than NC's entire layout over 5 years and have still gone massively backwards shows how badly those at the top have ran the club.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:01 am

Nigel Clough getting sack from Derby after what he had achieved, was the most diabolical decision i have ever witnessed in football, and the C-E-O Sam Rush who made it, Ended up with the sack, and returned to the murky world of a sport agency group, a posh word for football agent,
Details of Cloughs time at Derby could fill a book, Robbie Savage put it simply, someone will get a lot of credit for what Nigel has done at the club, and he was right.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:26 am

My confidence levels will be up or down at the end of today dependant on the transfer business.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:45 am

MTFCMusings wrote:He didn’t get credit because he didn’t achieve anything with them I suppose.

The credit he deserves was in taking a failing team with 44 players, many on very high wages , that other clubs would not be prepared to pay,and took some shifting,
and turning it into a small 18 man squad, while making the academy function, bringing in the likes of Hughes , Bennett and Hendricks and 9 of his squad became international players, He achieved his remit, reduce the deficit while maintaining championship status, and build a squad capable of challenging for promotion.
Since that fateful day in 2013, The club no longer owns its Stadium, and has mortgaged its training ground, and Derby are in a very precarious financial position.
It is estimated that so far Mel Morris has lost over £200 million on Derby County, i would say Clough did achieve a lot
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:56 am

bear 73 wrote:

The credit he deserves was in taking a failing team with 44 players, many on very high wages , that other clubs would not be prepared to pay,and took some shifting,
and turning it into a small 18 man squad, while making the academy function, bringing in the likes of Hughes , Bennett and Hendricks and 9 of his squad became international players, He achieved his remit, reduce the deficit while maintaining championship status, and build a squad capable of challenging for promotion.
Since that fateful day in 2013, The club no longer owns its Stadium, and has mortgaged its training ground, and Derby are in a very precarious financial position.
It is estimated that so far Mel Morris has lost over £200 million on Derby County, i would say Clough did achieve a lot

I mean in terms of getting promoted/winning a league etc.

He obviously did a good job.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Never been more confident as the thread says.

NC is a proven manager over time not just 5 games. He had us right at the end of last season albeit without any forwards.

I agree with what people are saying about DJ...he looks and feels like he's off it but he's a proven goalscorer at this level and will come good. ...Oates needs a flukey goal to get off the mark and then watch them both go.

As for refereeing decisions like yesterday ask yourselves why former Premier League referee Bobby Madeley is now in League 2.

In Nigel we trust...back to Field Mill ....let's lift the roof next week.

It’s nothing to do with his refereeing ability.

Exactly. The POS was sacked for mocking disabled people. Shouldn't even be refereeing again let alone at our level.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:30 am

Dan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Never been more confident as the thread says.

NC is a proven manager over time not just 5 games. He had us right at the end of last season albeit without any forwards.

I agree with what people are saying about DJ...he looks and feels like he's off it but he's a proven goalscorer at this level and will come good. ...Oates needs a flukey goal to get off the mark and then watch them both go.

As for refereeing decisions like yesterday ask yourselves why former Premier League referee Bobby Madeley is now in League 2.

In Nigel we trust...back to Field Mill ....let's lift the roof next week.

It’s nothing to do with his refereeing ability.

Exactly. The POS was sacked for mocking disabled people. Shouldn't even be refereeing again let alone at our level.

Knew what he did was wrong, apologies made, buggered his career. Paying the price reffing at our level.

People do far worse than what he did and get away with it. Some people make a living telling jokes worse than that one.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Hmmm, any confidence I had has gone down the bog today. That was woeful.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:Hmmm, any confidence I had has gone down the bog today. That was woeful.

mate that was dogs
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:Hmmm, any confidence I had has gone down the bog today. That was woeful.

Because you're still expecting instant success.... Got a manager here that were lucky to have, give the man time to build.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:39 pm

Instant success!! Some anytime this decade would be great.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Because you're still expecting instant success.... Got a manager here that were lucky to have, give the man time to build.

He's built a right dodgy defence I'll give you that one.

Nartey doesn't look big enough or strong enough to play CH in this league against the old battering rams but maybe he'll come good
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Field Mill wrote:So we've lost two on the bounce. Big disappointment but the big picture is Rosy. I've never been more confident that we're in the right hands. We'll win plenty of games this season so the odd defeat shouldn't be too much of a worry. A centre half will come in before the window closes and the missed chances will start to be converted. As the season starts to take shape it will be us, Orient, Bradford and a few others making the running. Our squad will evolve.
Relax and enjoy the ride.

This post has not aged well....

'Never been more p****d off' would be a more apt thread.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Field Mill » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:33 pm

It hasn't aged well and we have to accept that. Me in particular as I posted it!
I still have every faith in NC and his staff though. I don't agree with some of the faith he places in certain players however and I'd like to think that the squad will develop with arrivals and departures.
The defence has been a horror show due to a combination of reasons but I'm thinking now that we should dig in, get as many points as we can, and re assess the situation after the January window.
We've got this.
We'll finish 3rd.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:01 pm

Field Mill wrote:It hasn't aged well and we have to accept that. Me in particular as I posted it!
I still have every faith in NC and his staff though. I don't agree with some of the faith he places in certain players however and I'd like to think that the squad will develop with arrivals and departures.
The defence has been a horror show due to a combination of reasons but I'm thinking now that we should dig in, get as many points as we can, and re assess the situation after the January window.
We've got this.
We'll finish 23rd.

Fixed that for you
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:27 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
Field Mill wrote:It hasn't aged well and we have to accept that. Me in particular as I posted it!
We've got this.
We'll finish 23rd.

Fixed that for you

Is that what all the Cheaterfield fans are hoping for ? :roll:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:45 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
We've got this.
We'll finish 23rd.

Fixed that for ME

Fixed that for you
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:58 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
We've got this.
We'll finish 23rd.

Fixed that for you

Bet you a hundred quid we don’t finish 23rd. All wind and piss aren’t you
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:24 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
We've got this.
We'll finish 23rd.

Fixed that for you

Wind and piss is a perfect description :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:26 am

Will you pay up if we finish 24th ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:36 am

Spiritater wrote:Will you pay up if we finish 24th ;)

Me ? Yep. If he mans up and takes it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Stags are now 25/1 to win the league (Bet Victor, Betway, Betfair) and 5/1 for promotion (Bet Victor)

We are 33/1 for relegation
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
We've got this.
We'll finish 23rd.

Fixed that for you

Ridiculous one sided bet :lol:

I get 23rd & 24th you get the other 22 for £100...no thanks.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum