{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonight's games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonight's games

Postby Rob » Sun May 29, 2022 10:51 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Forest win. Bad news for Stags. All the young uns will be wanting to see Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc not Stags v Sutton, Harrogate etc

It really, really isn't bad news at all. Forest have been selling out for months, it has had no impact on our attendances whatsoever and it is wrong to say doing well is bad for us, there is absolutely no evidence for this whatsoever. When Brian Clough took over and Forest started to become successful in the late 70's, we achieved our highest ever league position. As we were winning Division 3 and getting huge attendances in 76/77, Forest were promoted from Division 2. This season both clubs have had high attendances and reached the play-offs. Forests deserved promotion will not reduce our attendances and in fact, as others have said, may well end up with us benefitting from the City ground being unable to accommodate all those who want to watch them.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 29, 2022 11:26 pm

Forest sell out most weeks and Premier League games are often on Sundays and Mondays so some fans might still fancy catching a game at Field Mill if Forest are not playing.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon May 30, 2022 8:01 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Forest win. Bad news for Stags. All the young uns will be wanting to see Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc not Stags v Sutton, Harrogate etc

Not really, I'm not going to drag myself to the other side of Notts to watch football, when I can walk five minutes down the road t'mill.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon May 30, 2022 8:03 am

I actually think it has the reverse effect. I think when Mansfield have had their best attendances. Forest have been doing well too. 1977, 1992 & this season. It’s great for Nottinghamshire as a whole and good for us. I’m glad they’re up at Huddersfield’s expense. Yorkshire clubs give us no help at all.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 30, 2022 1:02 pm

Cant see them playing on Saturday at 3pm often... I think it will do us some good and Id happily take 2/3 of their youngsters on loan
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 30, 2022 1:05 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I actually think it has the reverse effect. I think when Mansfield have had their best attendances. Forest have been doing well too. 1977, 1992 & this season. It’s great for Nottinghamshire as a whole and good for us. I’m glad they’re up at Huddersfield’s expense. Yorkshire clubs give us no help at all.

1977/78 we were in the equivalent of the Championship & it cost a quid to get in.

You'll see no local kids walking round Mansfield in Huddersfield shirts.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:13 pm

Our attendances have been gradually on the up almost season on season for 10 years with this season our best for 20 years. We’re early favourites to win the league next season, I’m not worried about Forest going up. I’d have bet that plenty of kids have become lifelong fans because how well we’ve done at home this season.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 30, 2022 2:53 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Forest sell out most weeks and Premier League games are often on Sundays and Mondays so some fans might still fancy catching a game at Field Mill if Forest are not playing.

They play fewer games too - 4 less home games for them next season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon May 30, 2022 4:10 pm

Stag95 wrote:Our attendances have been gradually on the up almost season on season for 10 years with this season our best for 20 years. We’re early favourites to win the league next season, I’m not worried about Forest going up. I’d have bet that plenty of kids have become lifelong fans because how well we’ve done at home this season.

God knows why we’re early favourites, salford, stockport, doncaster, gillingham, swindon, northampton, will all be in it, it was easier to go up last season than it will be this.

I do think that forest being in the premiership could do well for us though.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 30, 2022 4:47 pm

adamstag wrote:
Stag95 wrote:Our attendances have been gradually on the up almost season on season for 10 years with this season our best for 20 years. We’re early favourites to win the league next season, I’m not worried about Forest going up. I’d have bet that plenty of kids have become lifelong fans because how well we’ve done at home this season.

God knows why we’re early favourites, salford, stockport, doncaster, gillingham, swindon, northampton, will all be in it, it was easier to go up last season than it will be this.

You are forgetting Sutton, Tranmere, Newport, Bradford, Colchester, Stevenage, Crewe and Wimbledon. And then there’s Grimsby or Solihull although I don’t think either of those will be as big a threat as the others.

There will be some very big hitting teams in this division next term and it will be difficult to finish in the top 10 let alone top 7. This year was our best chance in the next two or three and our chances are more difficult because of it.

I have every faith in Nigel’s ability to take us up but there needs to be a substantial overhaul of the squad or to increase it’s size. The 21/22 season squad would not be good enough to get up next year with major changes needed in defence and also another main striker who gets game time over packing the midfield. Discipline needs to improve dramatically particularly if we run with a small squad.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon May 30, 2022 4:57 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Just looking at the pitch/ground for this game makes me feel sick :(

I had to work the Forest game and it was gutting to be back there, really didn't want to go.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 30, 2022 4:59 pm

Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Just looking at the pitch/ground for this game makes me feel sick :(

I had to work the Forest game and it was gutting to be back there, really didn't want to go.

Feel for ya mate! Still feel crap about it today... thank god we've got a break now from football. Need to recharge my batteries!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon May 30, 2022 5:08 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Dan wrote:

Feel for ya mate! Still feel crap about it today... thank god we've got a break now from football. Need to recharge my batteries!

It felt like a classic Jim Bowen moment. Saying that in the press room I was sat near Colin Murray and he said "Mansfield fans are my new favourite set of fans, they were brilliant yesterday" so that warmed my cockles a bit. :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Mon May 30, 2022 5:22 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
adamstag wrote:

You are forgetting Sutton, Tranmere, Newport, Bradford, Colchester, Stevenage, Crewe and Wimbledon. And then there’s Grimsby or Solihull although I don’t think either of those will be as big a threat as the others.

There will be some very big hitting teams in this division next term and it will be difficult to finish in the top 10 let alone top 7. This year was our best chance in the next two or three and our chances are more difficult because of it.

I have every faith in Nigel’s ability to take us up but there needs to be a substantial overhaul of the squad or to increase it’s size. The 21/22 season squad would not be good enough to get up next year with major changes needed in defence and also another main striker who gets game time over packing the midfield. Discipline needs to improve dramatically particularly if we run with a small squad.

I think Leyton Orient will be up there as well as they’ve been doing well since the new manager came in.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Mon May 30, 2022 5:26 pm

Same is said every year then as usual loads of those names mentioned do nowt.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 30, 2022 5:34 pm

Conker wrote:Same is said every year then as usual loads of those names mentioned do nowt.

Well this year’s league 2 was more competitive than the previous one in my opinion which is reflected in the number of points it took for a playoff place. The relegated clubs are bigger than the promoted teams except Bristol and the conference teams look strong as well.

In my book that makes a very competitive 22/23 league 2.

I suppose we won’t know until this time next year but whatever happens it won’t be easy.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 pm

The clubs coming down may be bigger clubs but at least half of them are not in a good place at the moment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Conker wrote:Same is said every year then as usual loads of those names mentioned do nowt.

Well this year’s league 2 was more competitive than the previous one in my opinion which is reflected in the number of points it took for a playoff place. The relegated clubs are bigger than the promoted teams except Bristol and the conference teams look strong as well.

In my book that makes a very competitive 22/23 league 2.

I suppose we won’t know until this time next year but whatever happens it won’t be easy.

Going up is pretty pointless if you just come straight back down. For Stags to go up & make it stick it has to be because we have built a side that is strong enough to get out of any L2, not one that just poxes its way out of a weak league.

It feels like the club is steering in the right direction, maintain that trajectory & we should fear anyone in L2 next season.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 30, 2022 6:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The clubs coming down may be bigger clubs but at least half of them are not in a good place at the moment.

Indeed, also whilst Stockport appear strong, they stuttered badly and clearly need new blood in the summer. Exeter and FGR have been strong for a while and those two going up with Rovers mean we have lost three very strong teams - those coming down are not as good. I suspect Bradford will be up there next season but I certainly don't fear anyone - we have a great manager, a stable club, great owner, a very healthy wage budget and a squad that only just missed out on automatic promotion. A few good signings in the summer then I think top 3 should be a very realistic aim and it is no surprise the bookies think so too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 30, 2022 6:41 pm

Ok I hear what others are saying but don’t think this squad is as strong as some think.

We are a squad with a number of older players who have been effected by injury and indiscipline. Our defence was one of the slowest in the league but experience carried us through. Those old legs won’t suddenly get younger next term and I feel we need to seriously address the centre half situation. Opposition teams will be faster and play more football next term so we need more pace at the back. I’m happy enough with the two full backs but we look very vulnerable to a fast counter when they are up the pitch. That’s what exposes our defence and it can only be cured permanently with a swift centre half or two. Midfielders can cover but we also push them up to score/assist in goals..

We faded this year for a reason and if we don’t address that reason we will fade/fail again.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon May 30, 2022 7:56 pm

Looking at the teams coming down, I’m not too worried. Donny have a decent squad and should challenge, Wimbledon have a couple of good young players who will almost definitely be getting sold, Gillingham have an okay squad but not amazing, and Crewe look awful.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:08 am

Stag95 wrote:Donny have a decent squad and should challenge

Donny are in a complete mess and a lot of their fans think they are in danger of going down again. The only Donny player who would get in our team would be Tommy Rowe (33) and perhaps a fully fit Tom Anderson.

The young former Arsenal centre half, Joseph Oluwu (22), had a reasonable season and Tom Anderson (28) is a decent centre half but has been struggling with injuries (only 19 league apps). Wide player/forward Jon Taylor (29) was out injured all season (2 league apps).

Donny have also released the former young Wolves player, Cameron John (22) who looked good in 2020-2021 but he was another who suffered a bad injury (fracture in his back) and he only played 2 league games. He can play centre half and left back and would do a good job for someone in League 2 if fully fit.

Doncaster Rovers
Under Contract: Kyle Knoyle, Ollie Younger, Joseph Olowu, Ro-Shaun Williams, Adam Clayton, Ben Close, Tommy Rowe, Jon Taylor, Jonathan Mitchell, Jordy Hiwula, Charlie Seaman, Joe Dodoo, Kieran Agard, Liam Ravenhill, Reo Griffiths
Offered New Contracts: John Bostock, Aidan Barlow (Signed) and Bobby Faulkner
Options Exercised: Tom Anderson, Louis Jones and Ben Bottomley.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:19 am

Stag95 wrote:Looking at the teams coming down, I’m not too worried. Donny have a decent squad and should challenge, Wimbledon have a couple of good young players who will almost definitely be getting sold, Gillingham have an okay squad but not amazing, and Crewe look awful.

Crewe will do what they usually do.

Sell any assets. Rebuild with youth. Get promotion.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:46 am

Cockney Stag wrote:
Stag95 wrote:Looking at the teams coming down, I’m not too worried. Donny have a decent squad and should challenge, Wimbledon have a couple of good young players who will almost definitely be getting sold, Gillingham have an okay squad but not amazing, and Crewe look awful.

Crewe will do what they usually do.

Sell any assets. Rebuild with youth. Get promotion.

I'm not so sure of that.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:49 pm

The average age of the Crewe squad is 24.2.

They only had 2 players over 30.

They have the best youth system in the lower leagues. Charlie Kirk and Owen Dale being the two most recent examples.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum