{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonight's games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonight's games

Postby James » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:07 pm

I’d like one of our games to be moved to a Friday night!
James
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Barrow 2

Colchester 3

Now
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:34 pm

6 yellows and a red for Colchester. Accusations of racist abuse from the Barrow fans towards Col U keeper.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:41 pm

FT

Barrow 2 Colchester 3

Harrogate 2 Newport 2
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:37 pm

James wrote:I’d like one of our games to be moved to a Friday night!

Didn't we always lose on a Friday night?
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 pm

chip63 wrote:

We beat Barnet 5-0, on 5Live, first game with yellow ball. God knows how long ago that was!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:59 pm

Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:

We beat Barnet 5-0, on 5Live, first game with yellow ball. God knows how long ago that was!

November 1998. See https://stagsnet.net/fm/history/History.html
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:

November 1998. See https://stagsnet.net/fm/history/History.html

Was going to say I remember something about the first floodlit game but thought I was wrong, I didn't think it was as early as the 30s though.
Good read about our history, read it years ago and forgot most.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 pm

The new floodllght game was against Cardiff. Do not know the date. Mill was packed
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:50 pm

The One wrote:The new floodllght game was against Cardiff. Do not know the date. Mill was packed

I think it was Billy Wright who “guested” to switch on the lights.
By that time very few clubs even at our level didn’t have lights. If memory serves me well, Chesterfield were the last league club to have lights installed.
I do remember, before the lights, midweek games were usually played on Wednesday afternoons, Wednesday being half day closing. I also remember registering at QEGS and then skiving off before first lesson started in the afternoon. (Should I be admitting this after all these years?)
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:02 am

I wouldn't, especially now I've already arranged all my days off for the year.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:50 am

Spiritater wrote:

I wouldn't, especially now I've already arranged all my days off for the year.

I wouldn't either! Always miss it on the Saturday when were not playing
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 am

The One wrote:The new floodllght game was against Cardiff. Do not know the date. Mill was packed

see https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/Ca ... lights.htm
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldnic » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:08 am

Was in Bishop St. stand, close to Billy Wright as he asked for the lights to be switched on. Brilliant night.
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Newport 0 Northampton 1
Sutton 1 Hartlepool 0

Cheats were winning Barnet 2 0 now 2 2
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:11 pm

The One wrote:Newport 0 Northampton 1
Sutton 1 Hartlepool 0

down to 21st
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 pm

and both county and chesterfield winning

the good news keeps on coming
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm

adamstag wrote:
Sutton 1 Hartlepool 0

down to 21st

Need a win Saturday. Quite aware it’s very early days so the table doesn’t count for much at this stage, but after 2 years in this kind of position I’m sick of it :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm

Ali Smith doing very well at Sutton, got another good rating playing in the middle tonight
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Ali Smith doing very well at Sutton, got another good rating playing in the middle tonight

Can he play centre half
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:22 pm

part time pete wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Ali Smith doing very well at Sutton, got another good rating playing in the middle tonight

Can he play centre half

Yes he definitely can, in fact those of us who rate him highly think this is perhaps his best position. There were a few on here thought National League was his level, well he is now starting in a side above us in League 2, its the art of being wrong, some are masters at it. Ali has a way to go yet of course, good luck to to him and I am still sure he will player higher than League 2. As I said on the thread dedicated to him (look it up) he is clearly better than National League and is clearly good enough to play in the EFL as he is now proving, it was a bad mistake to at least not give him a chance here.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 pm

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Can he play centre half

Yes he definitely can, in fact those of us who rate him highly think this is perhaps his best position. There were a few on here thought National League was his level, well he is now starting in a side above us in League 2, its the art of being wrong, some are masters at it. Ali has a way to go yet of course, good luck to to him and I am still sure he will player higher than League 2. As I said on the thread dedicated to him (look it up) he is clearly better than National League and is clearly good enough to play in the EFL as he is now proving, it was a bad mistake to at least not give him a chance here.

I didn’t know he had played centre half before, when has he played there?

Someone I speak to went to the game tonight and was impressed with his work off the ball, breaking up play, albeit against poor opposition. He played a very limited role, keeping his passing similar. I told him I was surprised as when he was here, he looked a player with good passing range but perhaps struggled physically and with awareness.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Can he play centre half

Someone I speak to went to the game tonight and was impressed with his work off the ball, breaking up play, albeit against poor opposition. He played a very limited role, keeping his passing similar. I told him I was surprised as when he was here, he looked a player with good passing range but perhaps struggled physically and with awareness.

He played CB quite a bit at Alty. He only played for us in midfield but as he's a big strong lad always seemed to have the attributes to play CB. He's one of the best we've produced from the youth set up since we came back into the FL and we gave him away, didn't even give him a chance after a great loan spell. He's much, much better than the likes of Law - I'd say in a different league. My beef has never been that he should walk into our side, my beef is we never gave him a real chance after his very successful loan spell and just 4 months later a fee was paid for him. We'll see how it works out for him, but playing in a side currently above us in the FL means he has already proven many wrong.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:22 am

adamstag wrote:
Sutton 1 Hartlepool 0

down to 21st

To be honest I'd be happy with that come May wiith our sieve of a defence
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:30 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Can he play centre half

He played CB quite a bit at Alty. He only played for us in midfield but as he's a big strong lad always seemed to have the attributes to play CB. He's one of the best we've produced from the youth set up since we came back into the FL and we gave him away, didn't even give him a chance after a great loan spell. He's much, much better than the likes of Law - I'd say in a different league. My beef has never been that he should walk into our side, my beef is we never gave him a real chance after his very successful loan spell and just 4 months later a fee was paid for him. We'll see how it works out for him, but playing in a side currently above us in the FL means he has already proven many wrong.

Smith has only started 2 games for Sutton and had 2 very late appearances as a substitute (88 and 89 minute introductions) in the league. I hardly think that is a basis to say he’s already proven many wrong. Quite a few of our youngsters have already made many more league appearances than Alistair with Tyrese Sinclair and others being much better prospects.

His loan spell was made permanent part way through and he never returned to our club, so how could Nigel give him a chance following that spell?

I genuinely hope the lad goes on to make a good career for himself in the football league but don’t think he’s quite there yet. And I don’t think his team will be above us for very long.

Let’s wait until he is fully established in Sutton’s team and playing regularly before we start lambasting Clough for failing to give him a chance and getting him out of the club. I think Nigel is a far better judge than any of us and trust his assessment of most players whether we agree or not.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum