{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonight's games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonight's games

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:52 am

You could also say that they hadn’t won a game until Smith was in the team from the start which he was on Saturday when they made history and again last night when they beat Hartlepool.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:27 am

I watched both games on iFollow last night. They were both tight scrappy affairs and poor entertainment.

FT: Newport County 0 Northampton Town 1 (HT: 0-1)
Attendance: 3,168 (161 Northampton Fans)
Possession: 55:45

A very scrappy and feisty game. Jon Guthrie scored the winning goal from the only real chance of the 1st half. Mitch Pinnock floated in a free kick from the right which was headed away by Newport but Danny Rose won the second header and the ball fell to centre half Jon Guthrie who lashed it into the roof of the net at the near post. His 3rd goal of the season. There was plenty of argy bargy throughout the game and the Northampton manager, John Brady was given a yellow card. Jon Guthrie and Fraser Horsfall won everything at the back against Timmy Abraham and Lewis Collins.

Newport had a couple of attempts at goal in the 2nd half. Robbie Wilmott had a shot deflected over and then shot wide. Finn Azaz shot wide and then Cameron Norman headed straight at Liam Roberts from a Finn Azaz cross. Scott Bennett was stretchered off which resulted in 12 minutes of extra time but the Cobblers hung on for 3 points and moved up to 3rd. They have made a good start to the season. Danny Rose worked hard up front and played the role of the pantomime villain at a ground where he suffered a serious injury for the Stags which was mentioned by the Newport commentators. He got plenty of abuse from the Newport fans which demonstrated that he was winding them up very well by winning free kicks and being a pest. He did eventually pick up a yellow card for stopping Newport taking a quick free kick.

Michael Flynn said that Newport were absolutely dreadful in the 1st half and that some players had not just played themselves out of the team but out of the squad completely. He said that if they play like that then they can stay at home. Newport dropped down to 18th.

FT: Sutton Town 1 Hartlepool United 0 (HT:1-0)
Attendance: 2,489 (251 Hartlepool Fans)
Possession: 51:49

Another very niggly stop/start game which suited Sutton United. Ben Goodliffe scored the winning goal in the 25th minute knocking the ball in at the far post from a Rob Milsom corner. Enzio Boldewijn also curled a shot wide and Tobi Sho Silva headed wide for Sutton. I disagree with Matt Gray though that Sutton deserved more goals. Hartlepool had a Odusina header cleared off the line from a corner.

Hartlepool were much better after 61 minutes when left back David Ferguson came on as a sub along with forward Olufela Olumola. He got down the left well to put crosses in and he had a good header saved by Dean Bouzanis. He put in another good cross which was headed wide by Jamie Sterry and then Bouzanis tipped over Olumola’s header from another Ferguson cross. Ferguson and Sterry are a good pair of attacking full backs for Hartlepool. Dave Challinor thinks that Sterry is above the level of League 2.

Omar Bugiel came on as a sub for Sutton on 74 minutes and was a handful. Alistair Smith played well in holding midfield for Sutton. He looked like he had grown another foot and filled out a bit. He was less gangly. He just kept things simple and tried to break up play and then play simple passes. He still looks to me that he could make a good ball playing centre half with his height and that could be his best route to moving up the leagues. It will be interesting to see how he gets on. He has two wins from two starts so far. Dean Bouzanis looks like he has a mistake in him in goal for Sutton.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 am

As I said last year Darren, I also think his best position is likely to be centre half, where he played some of his games for Alty. He has obviously impressed in his very short time at Sutton, forcing his way into the starting 11. It remains my view that we have dropped a ball here, but time will tell.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:49 am

Yes Rob. One of Alistair's problems in his time at the Stags was that he wanted too much time in midfield on the ball and was often dispossessed. He's better when he keeps things simple. The one question at centre half would be whether he is aggressive enough. He didn't like it last night when Nicky Featherstone left one on him.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:39 am

One game tonight in League Two, Crawley v Harrogate. Ref is Darren Drysdale. Meanwhile, Paul Howard will officiate the League One fixture Crewe v Morecambe. Details checked.

Maybe someone on here will watch the Crawley v Harrogate game tonight and see how Mr Drysdale fares. More likely that the Crawley game will be watched tonight rather than the Crewe one.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:35 pm

Crawley 2 Harrogate 2
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:07 am

...and a straight red for a Crawley player in the second half.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:45 am

Sweden Stag wrote:...and a straight red for a Crawley player in the second half.

Yep, for an off the ball incident (see by the officials?!) & also Crawley lost a player through injury after a challenge by a Harrogate player... sounds a bit familiar.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:22 pm

Barrow Vs Newport tonight.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 pm

Barrow 2 Welsh 1
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 pm

Barrow 2 Newport 1 (HT: 0-1)
Attendance: 2,427 (91 Newport Fans)

Possession: 57:43

Mark Cooper Pre-Match
"Right lads. Michael Flynn's not the only manager who can play midfield players in defence so Ollie [Banks] you are playing in the back three. We've also managed to pull off a bit of a coup by signing Paul Farman from our big shot rivals. He has one of the longest kicks in League 2 so what we're going to do is take Newport by surprise and play tippy tappy car park football in our own penalty area every time Paul receives the ball."

1st Half
"Paul! Paul! What the raspberry are you doing? You've just passed the ball straight to Robbie Wilmott and Finn Azaz has put the ball through your legs to give Newport the lead."

Mark Cooper Half Time Team Talk
"Josh 1 [Kay] - Stop sulking and try banging a few shots at goal from the edge of the area like you did at Bradford on Saturday. Josh 2 [Gordon) - My Dad told me about this Brazilian player in Mexico in 1970 called Rivelino who could swerve banana shots in at goal. I want you to have a go at one from outside the area."

Final Whistle
"Bloody hell lads, we've won."

Michael Flynn
"They need to learn because they are making some very, very bad mistakes at the moment. I take the blame sometimes but I am not having the blame for that second half. I've just told them, it was cowardly. You might say that I brought these players in but you saw what they did in the first half hour. I am not having that. I am not upset, I am absolutely fuming. The first goal you could see coming. We let him have a free shot on the edge of the area and then we didn't keep the ball for the second. People went into their shells.”
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Tranny 2 Colchester 0
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:51 am

Tranmere are really starting to come into some form. Think they will be top 3. Mellon is a great manager at this level.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:10 pm

FT: Grantham Town 1 Matlock Town 3 (HT: 0-2)
Attendance:221

Went to watch top of the league Matlock Town beat bottom of the league Grantham Town managed by Carlton Palmer. He is assisted by former AFC Mansfield manager, Matt Chatfield. Matlock had a comfortable 2-0 half time lead. Alex Byrne's cross from the right was deflected for an own goal and Alex Byrne then combined with former Cambridge striker Liam Hughes to make it 2-0.

Matlock made heavy work of the 2nd half. Carlton Palmer's Grantham pulled a goal back on 63 minutes when left back Thierry Latty Fairweather (on loan from Burton) cut inside the area and smashed a goal in with his right foot. Matlock sub Ross Hannah was sent off late for Matlock but they finally wrapped up the game in injury time when defending a set piece on the edge of their area. Jesurun Uchegbulam (a Nigerian who played for AC Milan youth teams!) broke away and ran down the left before squaring to Alex Byrne to score his 2nd of the night. He was clearly the MOM with two goals and an assist. He played well against the Stags.

No sight of Adam Chapman for Grantham who scored a cracker against Basford United when I watched them in August (see below). Josh Scott came on as an injury time sub for Basford that day.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:51 pm

watching Colchester vs Sutton on iFollow.

1-0 Colchester ahead inside 2 minutes, fine finish from Freddie Sears.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:56 pm

Charlie Daniels crosses from left to Freddie Sears who turns, shoots and scores. Great finish. 1-0 to Col U
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:01 pm

1-1 12 minutes Ajiboye volleys in at the far post from a cross from the left to equalise for Sutton. Ajiboye impressed me last season when I watched Sutton a few times in the National League season run-in
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:01 pm

Sutton will win 3-1.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:08 pm

Rob Milsom crosses from the left to my favourite Sutton player at the far post, David Ajiboye, who scores. Charlie Daniels was too busy playing his fiddle to head it away. Ajiboye had earlier had a good shot saved by Shamal George. 1-1
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:15 pm

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have gone to watch Wrexham at Maidenhead tonight!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:16 pm

1-2 28 mins Sutton ahead as Milsom converts a penalty sending Shamal George the wrong way. Colchester down to ten men with Tovide sent off for handling on the line. Not seen a replay of the handball yet.

update - seen the replay now. Shamal George drops a corner, should have been a routine catch. The ball hits the hand of Tovide on the line. I can see why he's given the red card but I think it is harsh. Shamal George was magnificent against us, but that was a howler.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:43 pm

HT Colchester 1-2 Sutton
Sutton ahead at the break, and a man up too. Terrible error by Shamal George for the second goal, dropping a corner which led to a penalty and a red card. I think the red card was harsh and has given Sutton a huge advantage.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stag95 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Alistair Smith has been one of Sutton’s best players this season. He looked out of his depth when he played for us.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Sutton, one of those weaker sides, currently in the playoff places...
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:01 pm

Light years ahead of us atm.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die