{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Team for Saturday

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Team for Saturday

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
northern stag wrote:Gordon couldn’t get in the team at the back end of last season, so I’m wondering what he’s done to convince people that he’s the answer this season ?
Genuine question not seeking an argument….

It's Clough he appears to have convinced.

I don't think he's perfect but to me he suits the diamond system, provides pace, young enough to continue improving. His poor form last season came off the back of a few individual errors which affected his confidence, he's had time to get over that now. Plus before that he had played very well in our resurgence under Clough.

Yes its the attacking threat that neither Hewitt or Perch can provide. We all know defensively he isn't as strong as a natural right back and some of us are prepared to make allowances for that, same goes for McLaughlin (though he has really improved that part of his game). Both full backs are in reality midfielders and what that means is we can more easily play on the front foot - this is the difference between Clough and his two predecessors who went out not to lose first rather than to attack and win. I think the main difference between Gordon and McLaughlin in pre-season is that Gordon has been given little cover as we don't really have a natural wide right midfielder, on the other side McLaughlin benefits from the excellent Quinn who on numerous occasions has dropped in at left back when McLaughlin goes forward. I'm sure we'd all agree Clough is far better placed to judge than any of us, but it's inevitable that some can't wait for Gordon to make a mistake and then jump all over him. I can see the argument for Hewitt, he looked good defensively but I would go for Gordon as he gives us so much more in attack.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:37 pm

my name is jonas wrote:Agree on the team and think it will be that too.

Hoping Sinclair gets a god 20 mins, very impressive pre season.
Anyone know if we can still use 5 subs this season?

3 subs only allowed this season
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Got the same gut feeling about Sinclair I had about Lawrence when I first saw him play for the STAGS.. A terrace hero by Xmas.. The sort of player you turn up to watch.. Just like Liam
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:56 pm

northern stag wrote:Gordon couldn’t get in the team at the back end of last season, so I’m wondering what he’s done to convince people that he’s the answer this season ?
Genuine question not seeking an argument….

Maybe he's proved to Clough he's worked on being a right back. Until we see him this season, in a proper competitive game, with a good pre season and coaching as a right back he may have improved enough. We just don't know at this point.

The old adage of "square pegs in round holes" applies but eventually that square pegs gets rounded off and fits into the slot. Issue is do we wait for that to happen or do we try the already round pegs in the round hole?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:22 pm

lifestags wrote:What do we reckon then? Pretty much picks its self I think.

Bishop
Gordon Rawson Perch SM
Maris
Clarke Quinn
Lapslie
Johnson Hawkins

Anyone disagree?

I assume there will be 7 subs allowed and 3 to be substituted on?

Shelvey, Hewitt, Oates, Charsley, Bowery, Law, Sinclair.

EDIT: Actually would be good to have Stirk on the bench, possibly for Charsley?

Dont really disagree with that... Perch at RB with Hewitt on maybe?
Last edited by Sedgwick on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:35 pm

Clough will have an idea of his first team, and how ready they are for match day, no one is certain who will be playing, i think the bench will be have many players who some would expect to play, for me its Hewitt at right back, it is very important not to lose this game, i have not been through the Bristol squad yet , but i know Barton will make us fight for every blade of grass
Ok Hewitt, Rawson, Perch, Mclaughlin, my back 4
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Clough will put out the team he thinks is match fit , Knowing Barton , we will have to fight for every blade of grass, my back 4 Hewitt, Rawson, Peach, Mclaughlin
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:41 pm

So confident i posted twice [ SORRY ]
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:45 pm

:)