{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Minute Silence

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Minute Silence

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Are we in line for one on Saturday? Seems like a fitting time to pay respects to those lost to Covid
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Re: Minute Silence

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:15 pm

Also in respect for Ernie Moss ( unless we've already had one at home ). I know there was one at Matlock.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:45 pm

The deaths have not finished yet so see little point in a minutes silence for Covid. Should we have one for those who die of Cancer, flu, heart disease etc?

I see little point in it. I had a friend who died from a disease called Vasculitis and a nicer chap you couldn't find anywhere in the world. I just remember him everyday and that'd be enough for him.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby the saint » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 pm

Spiritater wrote:The deaths have not finished yet so see little point in a minutes silence for Covid. Should we have one for those who die of Cancer, flu, heart disease etc?

I see little point in it. I had a friend who died from a disease called Vasculitis and a nicer chap you couldn't find anywhere in the world. I just remember him everyday and that'd be enough for him.

good post spirit ...
the saint
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:21 pm

I think that there will be a time when it will be appropriate to mark the Covid deaths as it has been far more impactful in a short time than the awful illnesses that we have grown to live with due to it being an unexpected event which hit so many people.
I also think that if is time that the club had a think about how to mark the deaths of fans, ex-players, former national players / managers, royals etc.
There have been times in the past when the desire effect has been undermined by the number of times a minute of applause was given in a short number of games.
Personally, I would have a, moment of applause which is 20 seconds long like they did in the rugby.
I would also mention fans who have died in the comments by Alan before each match and have one match a season where their names are read out during a minute's applause.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Spiritater wrote:The deaths have not finished yet so see little point in a minutes silence for Covid. Should we have one for those who die of Cancer, flu, heart disease etc?

Honestly I do agree, but at no point has society grinded to an absolute hault for something, like Covid has done. As the first proper game back, and now absent of all the fans that have passed away since we were present at our home seems the best time?

I don't know, maybe I just think it'd be a fitting tribute at the right time, even though it's not over, but if not now then when?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:27 pm

Some clubs designate 1 game a season as a “memorial game.”

Names of fans/players etc lost in the previous 12 months are entered into programme and a minutes applause is held.

This stops the debate about who qualifies for applause/silence and avoids the undermining effect caused by regular memorial events.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum