{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New scoreboard?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New scoreboard?

Postby part time pete » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:45 am

gazza1988 wrote:https://stagsnet.net/news/newsdetails.php?newsid=228

Which scoreboard is that one? Is that the greene king one?

I thought the Filbert Street one in this news item was never put up because of the cost.

The cost was a lot more than KH thought when he got the filbert street one cheap.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:09 am

Anyone got a photo of the old Quarry Lane End one with the cricket style A to P letters?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:25 am

Dan wrote:That won’t be the Greene king one that’ll be the 2nd one we had after the letters one. The Greene king one is still there now.

So the one that's there now isn't the one from the early 90's? It certainly looks like it though. As Martin says SSA contributed towards the Leicester board but that was, as far as I'm aware, never installed because of costs, as Pete rightly says.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 am

victor A block wrote:Anyone got a photo of the old Quarry Lane End one with the cricket style A to P letters?

I searched the net, couldn't find any but if you Google Stags you tube games pre 1987 you'll see it in the footage.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:51 am

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:That won’t be the Greene king one that’ll be the 2nd one we had after the letters one. The Greene king one is still there now.

So the one that's there now isn't the one from the early 90's? It certainly looks like it though. As Martin says SSA contributed towards the Leicester board but that was, as far as I'm aware, never installed because of costs, as Pete rightly says.

No that’s the one in Martin’s post. The greene king one that Stoney posted is the one still there.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:25 pm

Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:

No that’s the one in Martin’s post. The greene king one that Stoney posted is the one still there.

Can you remember when they replaced it? Looking at it now the old one does look bigger than the one that's there now that hardly ever worked.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:

Can you remember when they replaced it? Looking at it now the old one does look bigger than the one that's there now that hardly ever worked.

I'd forgotten all about the Filbert Street one that never got installed, there were bits of it & a couple of turnstiles dumped under the West Stand for a while.

The 1990's electronic scoreboard worked for a while as the company I ran at the time had an ad on it. Along with sponsoring Iffy Onoura that was money well spent. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 pm

Not sure mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:45 pm

here's the first draft of a new page I've put together on the scoreboards of Field Mill:
https://stagsnet.net/vintage/scoreboard ... boards.htm

I'm searching for a better photo of the 1970s/1980s scoreboard. I'm sure I have a better one somewhere.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:51 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:here's the first draft of a new page I've put together on the scoreboards of Field Mill:

I'm searching for a better photo of the 1970s/1980s scoreboard. I'm sure I have a better one somewhere.

You couldn't do one of owners by any chance, it's been racking my brain for days now.
I'm sure it's in vintage stags somewhere but I can't find it.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:56 pm

chip63 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:here's the first draft of a new page I've put together on the scoreboards of Field Mill:

You couldn't do one of owners by any chance, it's been racking my brain for days now.
I'm sure it's in vintage stags somewhere but I can't find it.

not at the moment. But here's a few others to keep you going

https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/shirts/SHIRTS.HTM
https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/MTFCBadges.htm
https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/st ... ionals.htm
https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/stagsTVappearances.htm
https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/le ... ives11.htm
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Rob wrote:
victor A block wrote:Anyone got a photo of the old Quarry Lane End one with the cricket style A to P letters?

I searched the net, couldn't find any but if you Google Stags you tube games pre 1987 you'll see it in the footage.

Clearly visible in the Spurs game
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:30 pm

Dan wrote:Not sure mate.

Looks like it was installed during the abyss years when thankfully I lived in Holland! I always thought it was the same one, every days a learning day :lol:

So I think we've had 6, one of which never saw the light of day. Phew :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:Not sure mate.

Looks like it was installed during the abyss years when thankfully I lived in Holland! I always thought it was the same one, every days a learning day :lol:

So I think we've had 6, one of which never saw the light of day. Phew :lol:

Correct :)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 pm

I do remember the one that was unusable but still there until 2000. I had always assumed they'd taken it down and then put it back up again for the greene king one. I'd never seen it working before so thought it was was the same one but new sponsors.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:41 pm

The 1990s one was in the Andy King play off season 94-95?
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:51 pm

Sneag wrote:

do you mean it was or was not working then?

I'm just adding some more information to the page. It was installed in Aug 1990, I have added a piece from the CHAD showing the installation. I don't yet have a good photo of it working, but I hope to find one soon. I don't know yet when exactly it stopped working but I am onto it.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sneag wrote:

I'm just adding some more information to the page. It was installed in Aug 1990, I have added a piece from the CHAD showing the installation. I don't yet have a good photo of it working, but I hope to find one soon. I don't know yet when exactly it stopped working but I am onto it.

It was working in 94, as I said I can vouch for that as I had an advert for my company running on it. I think it ran at two games before it broke down never to run again. Needless to say I never got refunded for the ad.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Sneag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Sneag wrote:

It was working in 94, as I said I can vouch for that as I had an advert for my company running on it. I think it ran at two games before it broke down never to run again. Needless to say I never got refunded for the ad.

ok thanks. I have amended the text to
Installed in August 1990, and worked until August 1994.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:52 pm

Great work Martin, thank you.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:02 pm

I have added the dates most of the scoreboards were first used
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:42 pm

I remember it was reported that the 1990’s vital equipment that was stolen was a £2,000 ‘computer’.

The Wembley board was made up of metre high perimeter boards locked together to make up a scoreboard five metres high when installed at Field Mill and that was the reason it didn’t work well due to it trying to do something that it wasn’t designed for.

It was also rumoured that the ‘deal’ of the Wembley purchase was done in a Retford pub when JR had a pint or two.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:15 pm

I've finally got a photo of the 1990s scoreboard working, from a full match video of a game from October 1992. Now added:
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:57 am

Got to say the new scoreboard looks brilliant and just needs a better surround (maybe Amber or Blue). Only issue is I think it should be at the other end of the ground in the QLE corner. I suppose that’s irrelevant though!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:05 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Got to say the new scoreboard looks brilliant and just needs a better surround (maybe Amber or Blue). Only issue is I think it should be at the other end of the ground in the QLE corner. I suppose that’s irrelevant though!!!

from the Ian Deakin thread:

He added: “We have brought in some new sponsorship for the scoreboard this week and the signs will be going up before the Carlisle game."
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum