{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New scoreboard?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New scoreboard?

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:15 am

Everything to do with building the new stadium was down to money and Haslam's unwillingness to spend a penny more than he had conjured up from different sources, say no more?

A now deceased friend of mine was involved in the meetings re the new stadium and he told me the two year delay in getting approval, due to residents objections etc was pivotal. Cost rose but Haslam would not meet the extra costs so the four corners and the lifts for the disabled in the North Stand were struck off.

It would have possibly cost more to build further westward but it was probably not considered by the then owner as necessary.

It would be nice to have something new along the Bishop St side but I think it is a pipedream currently with all the other financial pressures at the club.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 am

Vice President wrote:
Indeed! It was ridiculous that when they redeveloped Field Mill, they built it around the Bishop st. stand, with hardly any future development potential on that side. As others have mentioned before - why on earth didn't they build the 3 new stands a few yards to the west? :roll:
It can't have been a cost cutting exercise, as the land was already part of the 'estate' and it wouldn't have reduced any significant income potential. It was just plain stupidity/short-sightedness. (And all that talk about buying some of the houses on Bishop st. was ludicrous - it wouldn't/shouldn't have been necessary if they had built the stands in the 'right' place).

There is a sewer running down the back of the west stand which would need to be moved (at the developers cost) if they had moved the stand back. Moving the sewer would probably have cost more than buying properties on bishop street, it was simple cost cutting.
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Torrystag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:23 am

Dont really know a lot about building or construction ,but would it be possible to remove a few of the front rows of the west stand ,move the pitch that way to allow more room on the bishop street side
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:23 am

Wasn't the west stand supposed to be where the quarry lane stand is? Like if they turned the ground on its side? Could be wrong but I'm sure I've seen a picture of this
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:24 am

Torrystag wrote:Dont really know a lot about building or construction ,but would it be possible to remove a few of the front rows of the west stand ,move the pitch that way to allow more room on the bishop street side

I asked an architect friend this, we underestimate how much space a new stand would really need... you'd need to get rid of the lower tier to it that way :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:24 am

oldweststander wrote:Everything to do with building the new stadium was down to money and Haslam's unwillingness to spend a penny more than he had conjured up from different sources, say no more?

A now deceased friend of mine was involved in the meetings re the new stadium and he told me the two year delay in getting approval, due to residents objections etc was pivotal. Cost rose but Haslam would not meet the extra costs so the four corners and the lifts for the disabled in the North Stand were struck off.

It would have possibly cost more to build further westward but it was probably not considered by the then owner as necessary.

It would be nice to have something new along the Bishop St side but I think it is a pipedream currently with all the other financial pressures at the club.

It was definitely considered (including design for 4 stands) but when he found out about the sewer cost I guess he decided it would be cheaper to wait for the council to compulsory purchase bishop street and get the extra land free of charge/low cost.
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:44 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Torrystag wrote:Dont really know a lot about building or construction ,but would it be possible to remove a few of the front rows of the west stand ,move the pitch that way to allow more room on the bishop street side

I asked an architect friend this, we underestimate how much space a new stand would really need... you'd need to get rid of the lower tier to it that way :lol:

Absolute garbage.

As said previously there were a set of plans already drawn up so tell your imaginary architect friend to find a new vocation
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 am

Could we not just take the old stand down and redevelop the terracing using those seating/standing type structures. You could build toilets/food outlets in the centre to provide a natural break between fans and then give home and away supporters half of the facilities each. A simple canopy above the area would provide protection from the weather.

This should provide a relatively cheap option which could be a temporary (25 years-ish) solution until the housing situation is resolved. It would also give fans who prefer to stand up an opportunity to do just that.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:56 am

https://stagsnet.net/fm/images/Images.html

Theres a rendering on the stagsnet field mill section.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:57 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Could we not just take the old stand down and redevelop the terracing using those seating/standing type structures. You could build toilets/food outlets in the centre to provide a natural break between fans and then give home and away supporters half of the facilities each. A simple canopy above the area would provide protection from the weather.

This should provide a relatively cheap option which could be a temporary (25 years-ish) solution until the housing situation is resolved. It would also give fans who prefer to stand up an opportunity to do just that.

I'm for this idea, split between away and home fans, wouldn't it be great if it was standing only.
A roof terrace with bar is the icing on the cake.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 am

:) I think it should be all standing , but a stand like this with amber and blue seats would be good :)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 am

I'd be a bit disappointed with a stand like that SFL.

The comprehensive option would be best. Working with the council, decant the existing occupiers of Bishop and Lord Street, demolish, rebuild. Incorporate flats, public open space, cafe, crèche/nursery, community space within the stand that can be used outside of matchdays.

Real opportunity to lift the face of Mansfield, improve the club and invest in the community.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:41 am

There is a video of Celtic fans in the seating I anticipated on fercoseating.com. It would also be the ideal place for the boys who like to sing without upsetting those around them.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:42 am

Without upsetting anyone as a newcomer i look on the stadium for the first time last season, We are playing in league 2 and where does the club want to be.
The only requirement for all seated stadiums is the Championship and that is after 3 years, Mansfield have already got 3 sides all seater.
The club have at least 5 years before this requirement is needed, more like 10 years,, but to maximise capacity the Bishop st stand has to be utilised.
Would it be possible to make safe the stand, and use it has standing only, which would maximise capacity and give fans who prefer standing a choice.
and would be surly a cheaper option, everyone connected to the club talks about potential and patience and their is a manager in place who will put the club first, and not spend silly money
Will Mansfield be a Premier league club i very much doubt it, a Championship club yes, with average attendances 20 thousand but that takes into account the big clubs in there.
A club with about 14000 well run could survive there,, and many games away fans would take thee full quota.
We have Bishop st stand plus the corners to maximise the potential gate, IF REQUIRED, So i think people are correct Mansfield does have potential
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:47 am

Standing would never be included as it doesn’t create the same level of revenue as seating, that’s the black and white of it
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:55 am

adamstag wrote:Standing would never be included as it doesn’t create the same level of revenue as seating, that’s the black and white of it

If you used the ferco system it allows more fans per row so potentially more revenue. Additionally if you kept the seats in the upright position as the norm, you may attract fans who don’t attend as they have to sit down to watch.

An alternative to splitting the area between both sets of fans would be to give it all to home supporters and split the Quarry Lane end between family supporters of both teams.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:17 am

Phill wrote:Genuine question

1. Do we invest in a new stand/scoreboard to improve overall stadium facilities to increase our perception across both players and fans (both ours and other team’s fans) but to the detriment of funds being available to Clough now but potentially increase funds/attractiveness to players in a couple of years time.

Or

2. Invest in the playing squad now, in the hope a 3 sided slightly broken looking stadium doesn’t impact our ability to sign players, to then invest later when the impact to the budget could be managed/mitigated.

! every time Players come and go, but the Club remains, the Stadium is the home of the fans, And a focal point of the Town and community, and a modern ground is something
Mansfield can be proud off.
The playing budget and the Administration and infrastructure of a football club are two different budgets, and one should not interfere with the other.
But budgets are decided by the total income of the Football club
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:25 am

I while back JR was talking about hotel/new stand & he was saying IIR that it wasn't decided which would come first.

Since then we've had covid & two hotel project beat the Field Mill development off the blocks, which begs the question is the hotel project viable anymore?

That's not to say JR may just shelve both projects of course.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:29 am

gazza1988 wrote:https://stagsnet.net/fm/images/Images.html

Theres a rendering on the stagsnet field mill section.

Yes I put that on along with all the pics of the new stands, that image came from the club I think it was also covered in the Chad. In reality Haslam was only ever going to do it if someone else paid for it. I believe moving the ground 90 degrees had planning issues due to the public right of way. I do recall Haslam saying this couldn't be re-routed but I think this was refuted.

We don't need anything fancy, a simple safe standing covered area with the option for segregation for larger sway followings would be perfect.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:42 am

Rob wrote:I do understand the case against developing that side of the ground and I think you'd struggle to make a medium term financial argument for it. However, as SPBS has said, if we did manage to make League 1 next season our stadium's away capacity of 1800 would not be enough for a lot of clubs. Add that to a cup run then there are certain financial advantages. However, for me that's not what it's about, we have a club unrecognisable from the one Haslam left, apart from the sad, sorry and frankly upsetting sight of the Bish. It makes us look like a rundown, tinpot club, as AWC said, a laughing stock when other fans see it. We are not a tinpot, rundown club, we are a really well run club, a great manager, a great owner, a great training ground and three decent stands. In terms of the fabric of the club, it's the last piece that needs sorting out.

I completely agree with this, and in particular the 1800 limit for away fans, we need to be able to do better.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 am

Even if you only did it for that corner bear where that disused disabled toilet is you could fit 300 or so in
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:49 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Absolute garbage.

As said previously there were a set of plans already drawn up so tell your imaginary architect friend to find a new vocation

Well I trust his view over yours... if you want a decent sized stand, say half the size of the west stand thats approx how much room you would need if you weren't going to touch the houses.

Ive posted said plans on the previous page actually, but they involve the streets being replaced.

Non of it needs to happen if we want something small and simple the length of the pitch... Problem is JR wants something new, shiny and grand.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:53 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::) I think it should be all standing , but a stand like this with amber and blue seats would be good :)

Think this would look smart! simple and tidy but these small stands still cost a few million don't they? All we've seen from the chairman is very big plans for something the club can show off.. like the hotel
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:53 am

The problem with moving the pitch a few yards towards the Ian Greaves stand is that it would then be off centre for the North and Quarry Lane stands.

I would put a temporary solution in place along the lines suggested with plans in place to replace it in 20 - 30 years when the houses surely will be demolished.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::) I think it should be all standing , but a stand like this with amber and blue seats would be good :)

Think this would look smart! simple and tidy but these small stands still cost a few million don't they? All we've seen from the chairman is very big plans for something the club can show off.. like the hotel

surely there's no way that cost a million
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum