{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Euro 2020 - Tonight’s game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Euro 2020 - Tonight’s game

Postby chip63 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:33 pm

Wonder if Saka, Rashford and Sancho are going to do a Pizza advert, as long as it's not an Italian one.
They would of still got abuse if they were white, Southgate and Waddle got hammered, Pearce was forgiven.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:45 pm

chip63 wrote:Wonder if Saka, Rashford and Sancho are going to do a Pizza advert, as long as it's not an Italian one.
They would of still got abuse if they were white, Southgate and Waddle got hammered, Pearce was forgiven.

Yes they would, but it would not have been based on the colour of their skin. The racist posts towards those three are an embarrassment and an affront to our country.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:53 am

chip63 wrote:Wonder if Saka, Rashford and Sancho are going to do a Pizza advert, as long as it's not an Italian one.

Southgate, Waddle and Pearce were not given racist abuse, don't even compare it.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:53 am

Southgate, Waddle and Pearce were not given racist abuse, don't even compare it.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:47 am

oh please let it stop, anyone in football knows the horror of missing a penalty, abuse why Kane was lucky against Denmark he got the rebound.
Racism, violence is not part of football, and the blame lies on our legal system, allowing it, all responsible should be punished severely.
I hate to hear someone has been hurt for supporting a football club, this is just mindless violence and nothing to do with football.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:05 am

bear 73 wrote:oh please let it stop, anyone in football knows the horror of missing a penalty, abuse why Kane was lucky against Denmark he got the rebound.
Racism, violence is not part of football, and the blame lies on our legal system, allowing it, all responsible should be punished severely.
I hate to hear someone has been hurt for supporting a football club, this is just mindless violence and nothing to do with football.

Unfortunately racism and violence has been part of football for decades. Police technology and campaigns like “kick it out” have helped, but it’s a sad fact that recent political events (and the scummy media) have given these people a voice again.

It’s no good blaming the legal system, being a racist or bully/thug is a personal choice.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:23 am

As I trudged down the steps and out of Wembley on Sunday evening, desolate that my hopes of international tournament glory had been dashed again, after being so near my head was full of only one train of thought. The train of thought was not of racism, agism, political point scoring but of one over riding concern. Who on earth taught these young lads how to take a penalty? Who? Who, is responsible for coaching these young lads that a stutter, a shimmy and an Argentinian Tango prior to striking the ball at a penalty are acceptable?
You do not beat the likes of international level goalkeepers with those skills. The likes of Donaruna have quick feet and can wait till the ball is struck at half pace before they move. A ball travelling at half or two thirds pace is easier for a keeper to save.

Young players watch the likes of Shearer, Pearce and the penalty genius himself Le Tissier on how to take a penalty.

In short, you three didn’t let your country down your country’s coaches failed you.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:41 am

You do know Pearce missed quite an important penalty don't you?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:44 am

There's no right or wrong way to take a penalty.

Jorginho was being lauded after the semi for his technique but then criticised after the final for the same technique.

Rashford's penalty was the most surprising to me. His style relies on waiting for the keeper to move and then send it the other way. It worked as he wanted but then he somehow failed to find the 2/3rds of the open goal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am

Rob wrote:You do know Pearce missed quite an important penalty don't you?

And redeemed himself without a stuttering run but by smashing it in the corner.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:As I trudged down the steps and out of Wembley on Sunday evening, desolate that my hopes of international tournament glory had been dashed again, after being so near my head was full of only one train of thought. The train of thought was not of racism, agism, political point scoring but of one over riding concern. Who on earth taught these young lads how to take a penalty? Who? Who, is responsible for coaching these young lads that a stutter, a shimmy and an Argentinian Tango prior to striking the ball at a penalty are acceptable?
You do not beat the likes of international level goalkeepers with those skills. The likes of Donaruna have quick feet and can wait till the ball is struck at half pace before they move. A ball travelling at half or two thirds pace is easier for a keeper to save.

Young players watch the likes of Shearer, Pearce and the penalty genius himself Le Tissier on how to take a penalty.

In short, you three didn’t let your country down your country’s coaches failed you.

I can't say that I have watched every penalty that Rashford has ever taken, but fairly sure that most (if not all) that I have seen him take have involved the stuttering run up, and his career penalty record prior to Sunday was 17 from 19 (89%) with a 4 from 4 (100%) record in internationals.
Not sure of Sancho's usual style but his career record is 11 from 12 (92%).
It's a penalty shoot out and they missed. Had they blazed it over the bar they would have been slated for not placing it. It's a no win situation for anyone missing a penalty in a shoot out as the eyes of the world are on you and it will be massively over-analysed.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:You do know Pearce missed quite an important penalty don't you?

And redeemed himself without a stuttering run but by smashing it in the corner.

It was a poor example, Pearce missed under pressure, as the three lads did on Sunday. I didn't blame Pearce, Southgate, Batty, Waddle or the coaches then and don't blame the three lads or coaches now. Fact is no matter how much you coach a player it is almost entirely down to how they cope with pressure. Italy also missed two penalties, they also missed penalties in the semi-final, as of course did Spain. You can coach a player every day for a year but when you know 30m England fans are watching you it's completely different.

I suppose you can criticise the players for being unable to cope with the pressure, if that floats your boat, but if we have to blame something I'd point to our inability to retain possession from the 30th to 90th minute.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There's no right or wrong way to take a penalty.

Jorginho was being lauded after the semi for his technique but then criticised after the final for the same technique.

Rashford's penalty was the most surprising to me. His style relies on waiting for the keeper to move and then send it the other way. It worked as he wanted but then he somehow failed to find the 2/3rds of the open goal.

Shoulda had Akinde in the squad for t'game.
He just saunters up, gives the goalie the eyes and passes it in the opposite corner, simple. :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Everyone should be taught the Harry Maguire style of taking penalties.

Nobody would stop them.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Torrystag » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:27 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:As I trudged down the steps and out of Wembley on Sunday evening, desolate that my hopes of international tournament glory had been dashed again, after being so near my head was full of only one train of thought. The train of thought was not of racism, agism, political point scoring but of one over riding concern. Who on earth taught these young lads how to take a penalty? Who? Who, is responsible for coaching these young lads that a stutter, a shimmy and an Argentinian Tango prior to striking the ball at a penalty are acceptable?

After reading a few reports in the newspapers spartacus ,iwould like to hear your views on the situation at wembley ,some described it as a very tense day due to ticketless mobs not fishing just be interesting to hear a normal fans experience
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:38 pm

Can't ever remember Saka taking a pen for Gunners. The Rashford and Sancho 119th minute sub was a farse. They didnt even get a feel of the ball .
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:56 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Can't ever remember Saka taking a pen for Gunners. The Rashford and Sancho 119th minute sub was a farse. They didnt even get a feel of the ball .

Didn't we bring a keeper on in the 120th minute against Dagenham ? Was that also a farce ? Potentially he could have faced penalties without even touching the ball.
Luckily his only touch led to the winning goal so it didn't come to that.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:23 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Can't ever remember Saka taking a pen for Gunners. The Rashford and Sancho 119th minute sub was a farse. They didnt even get a feel of the ball .

Didn't we bring a keeper on in the 120th minute against Dagenham ? Was that also a farce ? Potentially he could have faced penalties without even touching the ball.
Luckily his only touch led to the winning goal so it didn't come to that.
The One
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum