{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New players any ideas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New players any ideas

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03 am

We are alright for full backs, and 3 central defenders is a fine line, and one more would mean 2 sitting on the bench, last season we had Rawson, Perch, Sweeney and let Menayese go out on loan, Again this season we have let Menayese gp out on loan.
Going with 3 is a tight ship, But he has Hawkins who has played that role, and Bowery is having game time at central defence, and with 6 or 7 attacking players in the squad, he feels there is enough cover
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:15 am

bear 73 wrote:We are alright for full backs, and 3 central defenders is a fine line, and one more would mean 2 sitting on the bench, last season we had Rawson, Perch, Sweeney and let Menayese go out on loan, Again this season we have let Menayese gp out on loan.
Going with 3 is a tight ship, But he has Hawkins who has played that role, and Bowery is having game time at central defence, and with 6 or 7 attacking players in the squad, he feels there is enough cover

Not just that, realistically if Gordon was injured, Perch would go RB, leaves us with 2 CB's.

We will bring one in next week I am sure.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 am

He definitely wants another CB, he’s said so twice in recent interviews.

I don’t hold much stock in the argument that Hawkins can play at CB if needed. OK, if we’re really light and a CB gets sent off or something he could go and do a job there for 20-30 minutes, but we do not want to be in a position where we have to break up the strike force to make up for the shortfalls in defence.

Bowery, let’s not be ridiculous. He’s had a bit of a run out there but we can’t be in a position where he is playing competitive games at CB surely.

There’s no point risking it and I’m sure we’ll sign one.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 am

Anyone got an idea of the player we're chasing?

Still a long way to the deadline, CB is a priority but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more activity.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 am

When season tickets stop trickling in, I can see us getting a very good signing for the final push.
I wouldn't imagine there is many players left who fit the bill.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:34 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Still concerned we are a big commanding CB missing to play along side Fazz, good defending is built on communication & partnerships, the closer we get to the start of the season the less time they will have together to gel is my only worry !!

last price required Cloughie

If we signed one of those, I don’t think he’d be playing alongside Faz.

I agree, NC clearly likes Perch there, hence playing Hewitt at RB when Gordon was injured. I've no problem with the defenders themselves, they are all good footballers, but I do think one more CB is needed for competition and depth.

Perch is not a CB, defensive midfield/right back & great cover as CB however he isn’t & imo shouldn’t be one of our first choice pairings.

In cloughie’s own admission he cannot play a full season, if we don’t sort it & sooner rather then later to give them time to gel this will come back & bite us.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:35 am

James Clarke would do fine at RB

I also disagree Perch is not a CB. He’s fine there
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:37 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Still concerned we are a big commanding CB missing to play along side Fazz, good defending is built on communication & partnerships, the closer we get to the start of the season the less time they will have together to gel is my only worry !!

last price required Cloughie

If we signed one of those, I don’t think he’d be playing alongside Faz.

I agree, NC clearly likes Perch there, hence playing Hewitt at RB when Gordon was injured. I've no problem with the defenders themselves, they are all good footballers, but I do think one more CB is needed for competition and depth.

Perch is not a CB, defensive midfield/right back & great cover as CB however he isn’t & imo shouldn’t be one of our first choice pairings.

In cloughie’s own admission he cannot play a full season, if we don’t sort it & sooner rather then later to give them time to gel this will come back & bite us.

Funny how opinions differ, I think his best position is CB and he does a job at Right back. :lol:
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am

Perch has been excellent at centre back, he’s barely put a foot wrong. He’s also very good with the ball, which really helps our build up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:46 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Perch is not a CB

If you were watching last season, you will have seen that he was extremely good in that position, and consistently so.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:52 am

Perch is the best centre back we have at the club currently in my opinion. For me when he’s fit it’s him and one other.

His reading of the game and calmness on the ball really helps us and we were much better last year when he moved in to CB.

I highly doubt we’ll see him in midfield again.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:54 am

Who would of thought when he was sat on the bench at Scunny that he would become one of our most important players..
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:56 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Perch is not a CB

If you were watching last season, you will have seen that he was extremely good in that position, and consistently so.

Ermmm i did watch last season strange comment !

we lack pace, he will never last a full season, great cover/ do a job agreed

he isn’t a full season CB on a club looking for playoffs

Cloughies words not just mine
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:01 pm

I think you’re misinterpreting what Clough said. He meant at his age he is unlikely to play every game, but that’s not to say that he will play every game when he is feet or not in need of a rest.

He played the 6th highest amount of minutes last season. Clough also named him as our best player along with Quinn.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/james-perch-agrees-to-stay-at-mansfield-town-for-another-season-3217608

‘Over the extra year I don’t think he will change physically’ ‘outstanding’ ‘playing like a youngster at the moment’
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:20 pm

York’s stamps feet over lack of signing. Who knew
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:37 pm

Perch played well at the back, he certainly didn't look like a fish out of water there...
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:23 pm

I thought Sweeney and Rawson had the making of an excellent partnership.

Though to me, clearing the ball away anywhere up the pitch is good enough for me.
Cloughs fault wanting it to be cleared to another player and it has to be one of ours too. :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 pm

chip63 wrote:I thought Sweeney and Rawson had the making of an excellent partnership.

Though to me, clearing the ball away anywhere up the pitch is good enough for me.
Cloughs fault wanting it to be cleared to another player and it has to be one of ours too. :D

The goal away at Harrogate was a killer for their partnership. Both could of headed it away, didn't-Goal.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:58 pm

chip63 wrote:I thought Sweeney and Rawson had the making of an excellent partnership.

Watch the debacle at Harrogate and then post again
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:58 pm

bellwhiff wrote:York’s stamps feet over lack of signing. Who knew

:D wayyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm

yorkstag wrote:

Watch the debacle at Harrogate and then post again

I'll watch the FA cup 3rd round again instead and stick by my thoughts.
As Peter Kay would say "Have It".
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pm

The game we lost?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 pm

lifestags wrote:The game we lost?

Only by 1 goal :D

Have It.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 pm

Still lost.

Fact is, Clough obviously didn't rate the partnership or he would of kept it.

HAVVEEEEE ITTTTTT.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:02 pm

Dan wrote:Perch played well at the back, he certainly didn't look like a fish out of water there...

His experience showed... very calm and always in the right position. Personally think hes. great passer of the ball too. Perch and Rawson together are more than good enough
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum