{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New players any ideas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New players any ideas

Postby Fitzy499 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:54 pm

If Naylor does come I can see him being captain
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu May 27, 2021 8:00 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:why do we need a midfielder, it’s our only strong area of the pitch ?

if money is to be spent wisely, why waste it on DCFC ?

It's hardly a world beating midfield though is it. It's our strongest part of a very weak squad. There's room for quality.

It’s a top midfield for this level, unquestionably.

That was with Quinn though, so we need him back. He is key. Naylor doesn’t replace what Quinn offered.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:03 pm

Dan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:why do we need a midfielder, it’s our only strong area of the pitch ?

Might get him in place of Quinn.

I thought this too.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu May 27, 2021 8:11 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I hope he comes back.

For nothing else so a certain keyboard warrior can give us all a lesson on a warped idea of loyalty. DCFC hahaha...

Ooooh you’re soooo edgy.

If he comes back and is wearing the shirt, he’ll get my full support as I’ve previously stated.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Opus » Thu May 27, 2021 9:17 pm

Does any one know what the delay is in signing Quinn and Ward. They appeared nailed on at the end of the season
Opus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri May 28, 2021 6:09 am

Opus wrote:Does any one know what the delay is in signing Quinn and Ward. They appeared nailed on at the end of the season

Ward has signed, it’s just not been announced.

Not sure on Quinn, but players will have been on holiday etc. Just because not announced, doesn’t mean not done.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 28, 2021 6:21 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Opus wrote:Does any one know what the delay is in signing Quinn and Ward. They appeared nailed on at the end of the season

Ward has signed, it’s just not been announced.

Not sure on Quinn, but players will have been on holiday etc. Just because not announced, doesn’t mean not done.

Quinn made our midfield tick second half of last season, hope we get it over the line
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri May 28, 2021 6:33 am

Maybe it’s because his contract with Burton runs till the end of the month ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri May 28, 2021 6:57 am

Really want the Quinn deal to get over the line. He has genuine quality and you can tell he has experience at a much higher level. He would be a big signing as with him in the midfield with Clarke, Lapslie, Maris we have a top 3 league 2 midfield in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri May 28, 2021 7:17 am

bellwhiff wrote:Maybe it’s because his contract with Burton runs till the end of the month ?

Don’t think that will impact, plenty of players in the same situation have announced new clubs, including Elliott Hewitt.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 28, 2021 7:52 am

you never know might get a Fri signing lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:54 am

Dont panic!... In terms of summer signings its still very early days (only may) unless hes had a better offer elsewhere cant see why he wont sign.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:23 am

This is a important time of the season for players and big decisions are to be made, It is hard to believe players have been signed and fans not told.
Speculation is all we have at the moment , Naylor iat 29 moved to a big club in league 1 expecting a return to the championship, if he moved back into league 2, it would mean a back ward step, some players do this to kick start their careers, but a big decision.
Quinn, will be looking at is age and his injuries , can he a do another season, and could be looking to go into a coaching role
McMann from Hammi, with two Scottish clubs and Millwall sniffinsg, and contracted to the club for another year, means a fee will be involved and a good salary. required.
Hewitt came as a shock, and out of the blue,
Its so quite at the moment thank goodness this weekend we have the playoffs
Could Martin or Dean get close enough, to put a tracker on Clough
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 am

This past year has probably had a bigger impact on many footballers off of the field than normal . If you are unable to train with team mates , living apart from your family and more or less confined to your Hotel then life becomes very tedious . ( no need to mention the obvious link here ) . Fag packet calculation I know and there is a lot more to take in to consideration , but if a player can afford a drop in wages then some may be tempted to sign for clubs they would not normally consider . Sadly for us you only have to move 8 miles north , south and west to find another club and you only have to get to Newark to the east . I read speculation on here that Naylor has offers from Sheff Wed , Rotherham and the Stags to consider all of which I would imagine he could live with his family .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri May 28, 2021 12:53 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

It's hardly a world beating midfield though is it. It's our strongest part of a very weak squad. There's room for quality.

That was with Quinn though, so we need him back. He is key. Naylor doesn’t replace what Quinn offered.

It is very much questionable. This league can be won on the strength of the midfield. Being able to defend by retaining the ball, and chipping in with goals. If you run the midfield, you run the show.

While I agree that we've got better than usual, I've not seen enough to think it's 'unquestionably a top 3' midfield. Naylor would add quality to it and competition, and he is able to play at the back. Would be a brilliant signing.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri May 28, 2021 1:03 pm

Simply put, Naylor coming back would be a massive statement to the fans and other clubs. Our midfield is good but him and Quinn wouldn’t hurt too :P Naylor would be the player I’d build the team around tbh.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri May 28, 2021 1:08 pm

When we’ve had our full strength midfield fit and playing I’ve not seen an opposition midfield get the better of ours from memory. At times they completely run the show and it was either the lack of firepower up top or a defensive lapse that cost us as we all know.

Certainly want Quinn back, and if we signed Naylor (still think it’s very unlikely)as well then we really would be set as the depth of quality we’d have in that area would be far and above anything we’ve had here in many years.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri May 28, 2021 1:42 pm

Quinn would only be short term whereas Naylor would be longer term and a better investment
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri May 28, 2021 1:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

It is very much questionable. This league can be won on the strength of the midfield. Being able to defend by retaining the ball, and chipping in with goals. If you run the midfield, you run the show.

While I agree that we've got better than usual, I've not seen enough to think it's 'unquestionably a top 3' midfield. Naylor would add quality to it and competition, and he is able to play at the back. Would be a brilliant signing.

I never said it was a top 3 midfield, but it's definitely not far off. Top 7 at the very least.

I agree Naylor would still improve the team, my point was more a) that the midfield is already very good, and b) he would not be a direct replacement for Quinn in terms of skill set.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Fri May 28, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri May 28, 2021 1:59 pm

Naylor might be tempted by a long term contract.

He is still young enough to be a long term player for us and is good enough to play in the league above.

I think ha has a good injury record too. I would be confident enough to offer a three or four year deal. The stability this would offer his family might be exactly what he’s looking for.

I agree that our midfield is really good for the level, but we shouldn’t be passing up on players with Naylors quality
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 28, 2021 2:16 pm

would rather have a quality keeper or striker for the same deal, ofcourse it’s all hypothetical
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri May 28, 2021 2:56 pm

Good old Stagsnet.

We could be signing a player who is local, bred through our academy, captained a good league 1 club, is in his peak, is sought after by clubs just relegated from the championship and would strengthen our first XI.

Still people finding reason to moan! :lol:
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Chris Stokes.
Doesn't seem to be getting any thought on here, I'm sure I'm about to find out why.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri May 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Whether it’s realistic or not the radfords have proven before these things can be pulled off.

With his connections to clough a s mansfield there’s obvious reasons as to why it’d appeal.

The argument over midfield confused me though as we obviously struggled when lapslie was injured for instance.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 28, 2021 3:44 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Good old Stagsnet.

We could be signing a player who is local, bred through our academy, captained a good league 1 club, is in his peak, is sought after by clubs just relegated from the championship and would strengthen our first XI.

Still people finding reason to moan! :lol:

or

a different opinion to discuss on a fans message board :lol:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum