{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New players any ideas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New players any ideas

Postby grufti » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Let's give the lad a chance, we don't want any Bishop bashers on here
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:I know a team is more than the sum of its parts but we haven't made a 'wow' signing or a statement of intent to the rest of the league.

I don't think we will either now that Naylor used us as a bargaining tool.

We won't be signing wow players. Just not how he operates and in fairness it's got us nowhere the last few years.

Danny Johnson is a wow player. Pretty much scored 1 goal ever 2 games (give or take)for 4 years and scored 20 or so just last season in this league. We signed another player as a target man who spent 4 years in the league above and throughout his career has averaged 1 in 3-4 games.

Although we missed out on Naylor at the last minute that would have been a wow signing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:30 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I know a team is more than the sum of its parts but we haven't made a 'wow' signing or a statement of intent to the rest of the league.

As I said elsewhere, if Evans has signed these players he would be marketing them as ‘smash the league signings’. It’s all about the person doing the ‘selling’.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:34 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

We won't be signing wow players. Just not how he operates and in fairness it's got us nowhere the last few years.

Danny Johnson is a wow player. Pretty much scored 1 goal ever 2 games (give or take)for 4 years and scored 20 or so just last season in this league. We signed another player as a target man who spent 4 years in the league above and throughout his career has averaged 1 in 3-4 games.

Although we missed out on Naylor at the last minute that would have been a wow signing.

I think they are but all sensible signings, there's no big names that everyone in the league will be aware of on mega bucks.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:17 pm

I'm not doubting the quality. I like us doing the business quietly and methodically. They aren't 'smash the league' types.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm

We have a goal keeper
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:21 pm

wink68 wrote:

A guy that potted 20 goals in this league last season not wow enough for you. We could always sign Maynard yet again if you want.

We don't need 'wow' signings anymore.

We had them under Evans and Flitcroft and Dempster and we're still in the same league.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:22 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

I think they are but all sensible signings, there's no big names that everyone in the league will be aware of on mega bucks.

Our targets are still in the European Championships Take it you dont know how good Hawkins is
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:09 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Our targets are still in the European Championships Take it you dont know how good Hawkins is

you mean in the pub watching the euros... :lol:

Ill see how good oli is when I go to support my club.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:50 am

Well thats 8 new players Bishop, Charles, Hewitt, Menayese, Ward, Quinn, Hawkins, Johnson, maybe just a few tweaks left.
2 new strikers, Midfield sorted,, Defence will Menayese fight for a place, or maybe someone new might come in, Goalkeeper sorted, just need a number 2.
Stech still with us, so we still have a few tweaks to make, but the majority of the squad sorted
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:40 am

bear 73 wrote:Well thats 8 new players Bishop, Charles, Hewitt, Menayese, Ward, Quinn, Hawkins, Johnson, maybe just a few tweaks left.
2 new strikers, Midfield sorted,, Defence will Menayese fight for a place, or maybe someone new might come in, Goalkeeper sorted, just need a number 2.
Stech still with us, so we still have a few tweaks to make, but the majority of the squad sorted

Menayese has been our player for more than a year. He was given a two year contract and spent a good portion of last year on loan at Grimsby. He is not a new player and has merely returned to the club following his loan period. He is available for loan or transfer for the upcoming season.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:45 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Well thats 8 new players Bishop, Charles, Hewitt, Menayese, Ward, Quinn, Hawkins, Johnson, maybe just a few tweaks left.

Menayese has been our player for more than a year. He was given a two year contract and spent a good portion of last year on loan at Grimsby. He is not a new player and has merely returned to the club following his loan period. He is available for loan or transfer for the upcoming season.

Ward and Charles not new either.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:50 am

I’m really pleased with the recruitment so far. Just listened to the interview with Nathan Bishop - I thought he came across really well.

Let’s not forget most of our problems last year we’re as the result of individual errors and not having options with a fairly restricted squad.

I’m really looking forward to the new season
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:54 am

would like to see another full back & left/right back, interestingly have we any pace up front yet?

not sure from what i witnessed last season Reid is that man

thoughts ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:38 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:would like to see another full back & left/right back, interestingly have we any pace up front yet?

thoughts ?

I think Clarke is more than capable of covering right back. Clearly a GK, another defender CH /LB. Not sure we will see another forward although I agree jury is out on Reid.

Maybe we need to see some outgoing before more incoming
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 pm

yorkstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:would like to see another full back & left/right back, interestingly have we any pace up front yet?

thoughts ?

I think Clarke is more than capable of covering right back. Clearly a GK, another defender CH /LB. Not sure we will see another forward although I agree jury is out on Reid.

Maybe we need to see some outgoing before more incoming

I think Nigel said he had a young defender and young loan keeper lined up, anyone else incoming depended on some of those available leaving.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:59 pm

thoughts ?

Johnson is quite sharp.

Not sure we will be looking for pace given the way we play.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

thoughts ?

Johnson is quite sharp.

Not sure we will be looking for pace given the way we play.

i just think pace up top is a fabulous option if needed, our forwards seem similar types, just thought as a plan B a quick tricky option would provide all bases covered

or as i said maybe he sees Reid as that player, i don’t from what i’ve seen to date as don’t think he is quick.

really would like to see another defender in though
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:07 pm

Current matchday squad (you would think)

Bishop
Gordon Rawson Perch SM.
Maris
Clarke Quinn
Lapslie
Johnson Hawkins

7 subs?
Young GK.
Hewitt
Bowery
Sinclair
Charsley
Law
Reid

This is assuming the lads on the transfer list go. We still need some additions I think.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:15 pm

GK, CB, LB, Wide man (right side) still required in my opinion.

CB the main priority now.

I’d swap Reid for another option too even if it was up to me but don’t see it happening unless Reid wants to be starting somewhere every week.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Clough said 8 new players. He also said a 1st choice GK (Bishop) and Young GK (Pardington?) and a young defender all on loan.

Also I can't see Clough signing Hewitt, a right back, to play 2nd fiddle to a winger at right back.

Clough likes 3 keepers and if he can move Stech on then we would see a replacement come in.

I'm very happy with the attacking options we currently have. Same with midfield. I'd like to see a CB or left back come in. We have 3 right backs in Perch, Hewitt and Clarke, Gordon is a decent option as a backup. Don't need more in my opinion. Left back is a question mark for me. I can't see McLaughlin playing an entire season at left back. Charles is largely untested and that's it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Clough said 8 new players. He also said a 1st choice GK (Bishop) and Young GK (Pardington?) and a young defender all on loan.

Also I can't see Clough signing Hewitt, a right back, to play 2nd fiddle to a winger at right back.

Clough likes 3 keepers and if he can move Stech on then we would see a replacement come in.

I'm very happy with the attacking options we currently have. Same with midfield. I'd like to see a CB or left back come in. We have 3 right backs in Perch, Hewitt and Clarke, Gordon is a decent option as a backup. Don't need more in my opinion. Left back is a question mark for me. I can't see McLaughlin playing an entire season at left back. Charles is largely untested and that's it.

Perch can cover left back, as can Hewitt. But I'm guessing we're still chasing McMann. There will be at least one more defensive addition.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Delighted with the business done so far. I would think though, that we will be going all out for a quality centre half, given that we had Naylor lined up to play there on good money. That tells me Nigel sees that as a huge priority.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:19 pm

“If” we can sign McMann & quality centre back i think we can take stock
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Field Mill wrote:Delighted with the business done so far. I would think though, that we will be going all out for a quality centre half, given that we had Naylor lined up to play there on good money. That tells me Nigel sees that as a huge priority.

I would agree but when he was asked about the Naylor deal he said something like ''if you offered me another striker over a Centre back, I would take that''
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum