{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New players any ideas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New players any ideas

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:13 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Sorry mate I slipped out of character there....

It's Michael Bostwick.

It's not actually, it's Eric Lichaj ;) :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby StagInHucknall » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:29 pm

Brighton are always lending out players. Maybe Clough give Potter a ring.

Hayden Roberts and Antef Tsoungui from their U23s did well against Championship Cardiff City in the EFL cup. Maybe the next Ben White/Lewis Dunk etc.

Unless Clough is wanting someone with a lot of experience :)
StagInHucknall
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Been down to Sandy’s for my lunch, bumped into an agent, big fella wearing glasses and a striker that looked really familiar and both had Portuguese accents.

According to the bar staff that are in the know, due to Ronaldo’s poor spelling in English and as we are the third team beginning with ‘Man’ we are his next choice should things not go his way at Old Trafford this afternoon.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:15 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Been down to Sandy’s for my lunch, bumped into an agent, big fella wearing glasses and a striker that looked really familiar and both had Portuguese accents.

According to the bar staff that are in the know, due to Ronaldo’s poor spelling in English and as we are the third team beginning with ‘Man’ we are his next choice should things not go his way at Old Trafford this afternoon.

Nah don’t think we will sign him Sparky, we don’t need forwards or midfielders and he wouldn’t want to sit on the bench.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:21 pm

lifestags wrote:
broomo wrote:
lifestags wrote:Reminds me of the striker we were after in January this.

I've noticed lately you've got a bit of a downer on for Nigel.

What's changed your mind?

Not a downer mate, I think he is a good manager and we are lucky to have him,

however, so far his substitution's have frustrated me, I don't think he has been proactive enough and I think he is perhaps shoehorning his new players into the team at the moment.

With regards to transfer windows, I am still a little sour with how January went, him holding off for Akins and not getting him (letting 2 strikers go in the process) and it leaving us short, just hoping the same doesn't happen this time as we clearly need a replacement for Rawson.

but all in all I think he is a good manager.

Many would regard Jan as good window 2 big earners off the budget, and objective achieved league status during a time of financial restraint.
shoehorning new players could be just a case of players bonding, as most teams are at the beginning of a new campaign.
It seems Rawson is your weak link, Expectation is a two edged sword, any new player will not suit all, and he will be playing in league 2, and if he is any good we will be competing against bigger clubs, perhaps from a higher division.
Clough makes his substitutions with a lot more information on fitness and tactics than fans on the terrace,
Quality players have choices, clubs do not like to lose Quality players , Quality players cost more in transfers or wages,
But i do agree with you, if the number 1 target fails a decision will be made on a alternative who will be available.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:23 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Been down to Sandy’s for my lunch, bumped into an agent, big fella wearing glasses and a striker that looked really familiar and both had Portuguese accents.

Can he play full back? He was a winger so should be all we need :D

I'm gonna get in trouble with repeating this joke soon.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:25 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

Can he play full back? He was a winger so should be all we need :D

I'm gonna get in trouble with repeating this joke soon.

Only because some wouldn’t know what a joke is even if it was played down the right wing and crossed in to their feet. :lol:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:19 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Will this CB be a young unheard of prem loan or a well established CB we all will know ?

Established, 33/34 year old.. someone of that ilk would suit
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:42 pm

There’s only been one Ronaldo down Sandy’s and it ain’t that one
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 pm

Perch and Bostwick at the back. Hope we don’t play against anyone quick in our remaining games.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:41 am

Missing out on Naylor, has caused a problem. It is looking more and more difficult to find someone of Naylor's standard.

If it can be done, Nigel will sort it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:57 am

bear 73 wrote:
lifestags wrote:
broomo wrote:

however, so far his substitution's have frustrated me, I don't think he has been proactive enough and I think he is perhaps shoehorning his new players into the team at the moment.

With regards to transfer windows, I am still a little sour with how January went, him holding off for Akins and not getting him (letting 2 strikers go in the process) and it leaving us short, just hoping the same doesn't happen this time as we clearly need a replacement for Rawson.

Many would regard Jan as good window 2 big earners off the budget, and objective achieved league status during a time of financial restraint.
shoehorning new players could be just a case of players bonding, as most teams are at the beginning of a new campaign.
It seems Rawson is your weak link, Expectation is a two edged sword, any new player will not suit all, and he will be playing in league 2, and if he is any good we will be competing against bigger clubs, perhaps from a higher division.
Clough makes his substitutions with a lot more information on fitness and tactics than fans on the terrace,
Quality players have choices, clubs do not like to lose Quality players , Quality players cost more in transfers or wages,
But i do agree with you, if the number 1 target fails a decision will be made on a alternative who will be available.

January was not a good transfer window. I can’t believe anyone would dress it up that way.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:08 am

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
lifestags wrote:
broomo wrote:

But i do agree with you, if the number 1 target fails a decision will be made on a alternative whwill be available.

January was not a good transfer window. I can’t believe anyone would dress it up that way.

It was a bloody disaster! :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:14 am

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
lifestags wrote:
broomo wrote:

No it wasn't a good window in the eyes of fans who expected us to sign 5 players and "go for it"...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:28 am

Despite getting the 2 big earners of the books i’m pretty sure anyone know follows mansfield regularly/understands football knows it was a poor transfer window at best.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:36 am

adamstag wrote:Despite getting the 2 big earners of the books i’m pretty sure anyone know follows mansfield regularly/understands football knows it was a poor transfer window at best.

Only based on the opinion that fans wanted us to spend loads more money during a pandemic, no fan, no income season. Fans were really saying things like we can go up if we add the right players... utterly bonkers.

If you're sensible and look back at it, yes we got two big earners out which helped the club. Clough would have liked one or two more players no doubt but it wasn't vital and in the end wasn't costly to staying up. Im glad we didn't sign players for the sake of it like previous managers would have done.. Sarkic getting injured was hard luck, he was a decent signing on paper. Quinn was a great addition too. And finally we saw some of the young players given a fair chance, and they did well.

It was perhaps underwhelming to some but wasn't poor given the circumstances.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:42 am

Sedgwick wrote:
adamstag wrote:Despite getting the 2 big earners of the books i’m pretty sure anyone know follows mansfield regularly/understands football knows it was a poor transfer window at best.

Only based on the opinion that fans wanted us to spend loads more money during a pandemic, no fan, no income season. Fans were really saying things like we can go up if we add the right players... utterly bonkers.

If you're sensible and look back at it, yes we got two big earners out which helped the club. Clough would have liked one or two more players no doubt but it wasn't vital and in the end wasn't costly to staying up. Im glad we didn't sign players for the sake of it like previous managers would have done.. Sarkic getting injured was hard luck, he was a decent signing on paper. Quinn was a great addition too. And finally we saw some of the young players given a fair chance, and they did well.

It was a no harm done transfer window.

The injury to Lapslie did more harm than the losss of Cook & Maynard.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:43 am

Sneag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Not really worth discussing either is it? We stayed up and certainly didn't cost us promotion :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:00 am

Sneag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Absolutely, my thoughts too.

At the time it was disappointing not to more new face through the door but looking back and at the bigger picture it weren't that bad at all.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:03 am

It definitely didn’t ‘cost’ us a promotion, but if we had been a little bit more adventurous we could have had a run at the playoffs.

Sarkic turned turned out to be a complete dud and it was obvious for anyone to see that Reid would not add the goals to put us in the mix.

We created lots and lots of chances last season and a decent striker would have turned a fair few of this into goals, which in turn would have become wins.

We should have kept Cook. He wanted to leave because he wasn’t playing, yet he was much better than Reid.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:38 am

Sarkic now i’d clean forgotten about that little gem !!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:41 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:It definitely didn’t ‘cost’ us a promotion, but if we had been a little bit more adventurous we could have had a run at the playoffs.

Sarkic turned turned out to be a complete dud and it was obvious for anyone to see that Reid would not add the goals to put us in the mix.

We created lots and lots of chances last season and a decent striker would have turned a fair few of this into goals, which in turn would have become wins.

We should have kept Cook. He wanted to leave because he wasn’t playing, yet he was much better than Reid.

He was and is a lot better than bowery too.

We found out to our cost last week how good cook still is.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:51 am

We needed more than a striker or two to go for promotion last season.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:33 pm

I would think the new defender ,is contract sorted ,2yrs, pay sorted 2.5k a wk . Just waiting for sept 1st for his company car .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:16 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:It definitely didn’t ‘cost’ us a promotion, but if we had been a little bit more adventurous we could have had a run at the playoffs.

Reid wanted to be here & worked for the team.

Cook didn't want to be here & worked for Cook.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum