{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New players any ideas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New players any ideas

Postby Conker » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:31 pm

Sneag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:It definitely didn’t ‘cost’ us a promotion, but if we had been a little bit more adventurous we could have had a run at the playoffs.

Sarkic turned turned out to be a complete dud and it was obvious for anyone to see that Reid would not add the goals to put us in the mix.

We created lots and lots of chances last season and a decent striker would have turned a fair few of this into goals, which in turn would have become wins.

We should have kept Cook. He wanted to leave because he wasn’t playing, yet he was much better than Reid.

Reid wanted to be here & worked for the team.

Cook didn't want to be here & worked for Cook.

Cook worked for the Bradford team pretty well last Saturday didn’t he.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:45 pm

Conker wrote:
Sneag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:It definitely didn’t ‘cost’ us a promotion, but if we had been a little bit more adventurous we could have had a run at the playoffs.

Sarkic turned turned out to be a complete dud and it was obvious for anyone to see that Reid would not add the goals to put us in the mix.

We created lots and lots of chances last season and a decent striker would have turned a fair few of this into goals, which in turn would have become wins.

We should have kept Cook. He wanted to leave because he wasn’t playing, yet he was much better than Reid.

Reid wanted to be here & worked for the team.

Cook didn't want to be here & worked for Cook.

Cook worked for the Bradford team pretty well last Saturday didn’t he.

Yes he did. But when he played for us he mostly looked fat & disinterested.

He had 3 managers at Stags & wasn't a first team regular for any of them, whatever the short comings of Dempster & Clogger, there's got to be an underlying reason for that.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:29 pm

Disagree about Cook being flat and disinterested, he put in a good shift every time he was asked, he could score and did when nothing looked on.
Not sure he put the shifts in at training though.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:19 pm

More raspberries defending. Maybe they’ll wake up from their slumber now.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:03 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised if we look for a new right back before the deadline closes as well. I think we need one and I’m pretty sure it’s probably frustrating Clough as well now.

New CB and RB for me and we’d be in a much better place. Loan move for James Clarke to make room which he’d benefit from anyway.

Don’t expect it to happen but I’d also explore trying to move Bowery on and bringing in another striker to replace him. I can’t see him starting many (if any) and he’s not a goal threat when he comes on off the bench. Would like some pace as an option.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 pm

Conker wrote:We needed more than a striker or two to go for promotion last season.

I don’t think anyone realistically expected promotion last January but we limped to the end of the season needing a rebuild over the summer both ends of the pitch. The lack of signings has had a knock on effect which were seeing. We’ve put efforts in over the summer to bring forwards in who are still not bedded into the team understandably. IMO we could have used that Jan window to at least try and solve some of our issues and not leave ourselves with it all to do over the summer.

Now we are short in defence with 3/4 defenders still the same as last season. It’s going to be a tough ask to sort that with 3 days of the window left and games coming thick and fast.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:08 pm

everyone including the management team knew our weak area was defence l, what have we bought in to strengthen that area apart from the keeper to date ?

no surprise really is it we are struggling to keep clean sheets

sort it Cloughie
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:09 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:everyone including knew our weak area was defence l, what have we bought in to strengthen that area apart from the keeper to date ?

sort it Cloughie

We brought Hewitt in
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:10 pm

The One wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:everyone including knew our weak area was defence l, what have we bought in to strengthen that area apart from the keeper to date ?

sort it Cloughie

We brought Hewitt in

:shock: that we did, a case in point
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:49 pm

The One wrote:

sort it Cloughie

We brought Hewitt in

It needs sorting and it’s his job to do it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:52 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
The One wrote:

sort it Cloughie

We brought Hewitt in

completely agree, if i’m not mistaken i though cloughie’s brother was the master football scout who finds all these gems & is on the pay roll as chief scout !

this management team have talked the talk, it’s now time to walk the walk

over to you Nigel & team
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:55 pm

Not taken long for you to return to type.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:58 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
The One wrote:

sort it Cloughie

We brought Hewitt in

completely agree, if i’m not mistaken i though cloughie’s brother was the master football scout who finds all these gems & is on the pay roll as chief scout !

over to you Nigel & team

Here we go again, just expecting the world after one transfer window.... 5 games in, not top of the league and we're throwing the toys out the pram.

Said it before but we are not going to sign a few players in one window and walk the league. Some signings will fit and do well others won't.

Building a successful side takes time and we're already not a million miles off
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
The One wrote:

sort it Cloughie

We brought Hewitt in

over to you Nigel & team

Here we go again, just expecting the world after one transfer window.... 5 games in, not top of the league and we're throwing the toys out the pram.

Said it before but we are not going to sign a few players in one window and walk the league. Some signings will fit and do well others won't.

Building a successful side takes time and we're already not a million miles off

At the same stage whereas i like your posts you do tend to live in airy fairy simpleton lad at times.

We needed defensive recruitments in the summer as it was clear what we had last season wasn’t good enough and this is still hindering us now, it should have been resolved in the summer, the defence isn’t good enough.

I’ve absolute faith that clough will sort it and there’s a long way to go but this shouldn’t be causing us a problem now.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:13 pm

in reply to the above..

Worst part of the defence last season was Sweeney and the two goalkeepers... all have been replaced. Hewitt who's a very good centre back also brought in.

Would we have had such a panic had Naylor signed? Probably not, I know agent knobhead delayed Toms medical/signing by two days.. in that time our second main target/ back up if you like to Naylor signed for another club so in theory we lost out on two good players.

The search for someone up to that standard is on going, and we don't have a gaffer who will sign a player for the sake of it.

Cloughie will sort it definitely, he wont stand for it. But saying raspberry like time to Walk the walk.. after 5 games is utter nonsense and a case of sulky entitled fans.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:31 pm

don’t agree, footballs about winning games, or have i missed the point ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:33 pm

Sedgwick wrote:in reply to the above..

Worst part of the defence last season was Sweeney and the two goalkeepers... all have been replaced. Hewitt who's a very good centre back also brought in.

Would we have had such a panic had Naylor signed? Probably not, I know agent knobhead delayed Toms medical/signing by two days.. in that time our second main target/ back up if you like to Naylor signed for another club so in theory we lost out on two good players.

The search for someone up to that standard is on going, and we don't have a gaffer who will sign a player for the sake of it.

Cloughie will sort it definitely, he wont stand for it. But saying raspberry like time to Walk the walk.. after 5 games is utter nonsense and a case of sulky entitled fans.

Hewitt is definitely not a very good centre back, he’s the same level as Rawson/Sweeney.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:37 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:in reply to the above..

Hewitt is definitely not a very good centre back, he’s the same level as Rawson/Sweeney.

thanks top EFL scout who's seen him play how many times? :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:43 pm

yorkstag wrote:Not taken long for you to return to type.

Yorkie i’m extremely frustrated that we are falling at exactly the same pit falls as we did last season, he was found wanting when Burton didn’t play in Jan, now DCFC Judas had our pants down we cannot allow the same blueprint to happen again that’s all, not calling for his head just frustrated we are same as
Genuinely interested in your take ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:31 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Not taken long for you to return to type.

Yorkie i’m extremely frustrated that we are falling at exactly the same pit falls as we did last season, he was found wanting when Burton didn’t play in Jan, now DCFC Judas had our pants down we cannot allow the same blueprint to happen again that’s all, not calling for his head just frustrated we are same as
Genuinely interested in your take ?

DCFC judas, how infantile.

The guy is a professional footballer, who like all pro players, chases the money.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Infantile names or not, the point that clough has fell into the same trap twice over transfer windows is true though, hopefully we can get this resolved in the next few days

As said previously we’ve the makings of a good side, but no clean sheets, some real defensive howlers so far this season are a matter of great frustration i hoped/thought this was a last season thing
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:48 pm

I thought Elliott Hewitt played well at centre half yesterday which was his first league game for the Stags at centre half. Let's give him a fair chance before we write him off.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:58 pm

Hewitt isn't the problem, the problem is in in every game so far at least 3 of our 4 defenders were part of a similarly poor defence last season. Nigel knows we need 2 more so lets just hope we can get them in and they work out.

Anyone heard any names?
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:48 pm

Helicopter over training ground 30 mins ago
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:58 pm