{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Relegated clubs appeal

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Relegated clubs appeal

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri May 07, 2021 4:20 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57022942

Strange topic , can see both sides of the argument . National league has been a farce and anything that keeps two local clubs down there can’t be bad .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Re: Relegated clubs appeal

Postby The One » Fri May 07, 2021 4:24 pm

I can see the logic in this
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:44 pm

It's a fair point.

Dover have stopped playing so are their results expunged like Chester's were when they went kaput? The NL is a farce this season.

The consequence of this being successful is teams chasing promotion from the NL would be upset, if they had known in January there would be no promotion then their season would have ended then. Then the teams relegated from league one would be complaining.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Fri May 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Nope. If I were the governing body I'd be telling them to slag off. Grimsby and Southend had the autonomy to simply NOT finish in the bottom two of a competitive league and they FAILED. they now must face the consequences of that. The NL has been a bit of a shambles but there's teams down there that want, and deserve a FL place more. They will have earned the right no matter what as it exists in a vacuum
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Fri May 07, 2021 5:00 pm

They're only complaining about the rules after they're relegated, and they're complaining about the lack of relegation from the National League and asking for the same for themselves - absolute tossers, get rid of both of them and let those that have fairly won promotion come up.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wink68 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:03 pm

The debate was had in January and a decision made. All teams knew the consequences of being in the bottom two. Just clutching at straws I'm afraid. But I'm willing to change my mind if County or raspberry win the play offs.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri May 07, 2021 5:08 pm

As I have said in other threads, if their argument is that a league can't have promotion if they don't have relegation, then it will just carry on up the chain if they win their case as those relegated from L1 will then make the same claim, until eventually the whole season has been completely worthless as everyone will start next season in the same division as this season.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri May 07, 2021 5:18 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:As I have said in other threads, if their argument is that a league can't have promotion if they don't have relegation, then it will just carry on up the chain if they win their case as those relegated from L1 will then make the same claim, until eventually the whole season has been completely worthless as everyone will start next season in the same division as this season.

I don't see why it would pass up the food chain Dave, the 4 top leagues have been played out in full & in keeping with their rules.

The Conference on the other hand has been an absolute shambles all season. Clubs have been opperating at various levels of competativeness, Dover chucked it in altogether and others have furloughed senior players and played kids, the Cheats have abused the furlough system to the point of criminality.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Of course clubs want promotion from the National League but I’m not sure they will have achieved it on a level playing field. Competitive levels have varied throughout the season and it has been a lottery who has played who and when. Points gained since January have counted the same as those gained in October but the standard of opposition has regularly been lower.

For me there should be no promotion.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 07, 2021 5:37 pm

There is no doubt that the National League has been a shambles this season. Too many teams have given up because they know they can't be relegated. Couple this with some teams having being granted loans and others in the same league have been refused. One team in particular have furloughed players and then signed numerous others.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 pm

I wonder if there is a duty of care by the EFL. They currently have two member clubs about to go in to a league that has not seemed fit for purpose this season.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:I wonder if there is a duty of care by the EFL. They currently have two member clubs about to go in to a league that has not seemed fit for purpose this season.

I am not sure duty of care extends to businesses, but they do have a moral duty to make sure the relegated clubs have a league to play in next season.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri May 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Regardless of the rights/wrongs, can you imagine the sheer hilarity of The Cheats or the bed wetters winning the playoffs and then being refused promotion.

You’d struggle not to :hysteria:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:32 pm

I agree totally with this. Half of the teams in that division cut costs and stopped playing when no relegation was announced. Teams at the bottom play for their lives when the threat of relegation is there, and that mixes things up at the top, especially in a division in which 4 teams are relegated, no one is bottom half is truly safe until the end of the season.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri May 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Personally think who ever comes top of the conference should replace the 24th team in league two.

Who ever wins the okay offs should play the 23rd team for the last place in the league.

Back to the actual topic, not sure how I feel. I did say when they stopped having relaxation they shouldn't have any promotion places because the league is a joke
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri May 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Grimsby and Southend appealing??? Even the local tourists boards would not describe either of those locations as appealing? :lol:

Seriously, they have known since the Football League introduced relegation to the National League for the bottom two places, that if they ended in those places, they would be relegated. These two are on a par with the clowns of the supposed big six and their doomed super league, wanting to change the rules to suit themselves financially and against sporting principles. They deserve to spend eternity with the sheep molesters for this underhand approach.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri May 07, 2021 9:21 pm

If t'Cods had got relegated last season and were now 10 points clear at top of NL, wonder what they'd be saying now if the same happened,
"Yean like, we don't deserve promotion cos our league has no relegation' :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sat May 08, 2021 8:51 am

wink68 wrote:The debate was had in January and a decision made. All teams knew the consequences of being in the bottom two. Just clutching at straws I'm afraid. But I'm willing to change my mind if County or raspberry win the play offs.

Was going to make the same point, the time for this appeal was when the decisions were being made. I get the logic particularly how the benefits cheats have marched up the league due to half the league playing cheaper weakened sides as they have no relegation consequences. Too little too late in my opinion.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat May 08, 2021 9:11 am

Perhaps the football league clubs should have a vote to see if the 2 clubs deserve to lose their place. They could call it Re-election :?
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 am

halifaxstag wrote:Perhaps the football league clubs should have a vote to see if the 2 clubs deserve to lose their place. They could call it Re-election :?

Back to the future. I like your thinking, let’s keep the Church Benders down there for the foreseeable
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:27 am

Lets be honest its always worth a try!.... Wont work thou
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 08, 2021 9:50 am

I'm surprised it has taken them so long.

I'd have been very disappointed if JR, David Sharpe and the Stags had not used the same argument if we had gone down.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm surprised it has taken them so long.

I'd have been very disappointed if JR, David Sharpe and the Stags had not used the same argument if we had gone down.

I'd have been embarrassed
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 08, 2021 10:06 am

The National League has not been properly competitive this season and probably will not be for the next 10 years so no teams should be allowed to be promoted for this period.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat May 08, 2021 10:11 am

Jimstag wrote:
wink68 wrote:The debate was had in January and a decision made. All teams knew the consequences of being in the bottom two. Just clutching at straws I'm afraid. But I'm willing to change my mind if County or raspberry win the play offs.

Was going to make the same point, the time for this appeal was when the decisions were being made. I get the logic particularly how the benefits cheats have marched up the league due to half the league playing cheaper weakened sides as they have no relegation consequences. Too little too late in my opinion.

I agree, they finished bottom two and should be relegated. Furthermore the National League will have completed its fixtures, Dover pulled out of the league which is like a club going bust during a season, when that happens you don't just abandon the season for everyone else. Yes some clubs have been weakened more than others (there is never a level playing field as all clubs have different wage budgets etc) and if any club has breached the rules then they should be punished accordingly. The decision was made by the EFL and National League in January, I would be very surprised if this changed and would imagine that if it did the two "promotable" clubs in the National League would have a very strong case to take the leagues to court.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum