{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

It was 10 years ago today that......

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

It was 10 years ago today that......

Postby ST4GS » Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm

The Stags visited new Wembley for the very first time.
What a brilliant day was had. 7am train to London, Breakfast in Wetherspoons Leicester Square, Pub crawl around the West End and then off to Wembley. The game and the result was rubbish though but I still have good memories of the day as a whole.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Re: It was 10 years ago today that......

Postby Torrystag » Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm

New wembley is soulless it was better before ,im sure they could have done something without destroying it ,give me the millenium stadium any day city centre location ,loads of bars and eateries within walking distance
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Fri May 07, 2021 1:17 pm

The Principality Stadium is crap
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri May 07, 2021 2:22 pm

bellwhiff wrote:The Principality Stadium is crap

Because it’s Welsh ? ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Fri May 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Torrystag wrote:New wembley is soulless it was better before ,im sure they could have done something without destroying it ,give me the millenium stadium any day city centre location ,loads of bars and eateries within walking distance

As opposed to Murrayfield which rocks :lol: :lol:

Wembley's problem really is its size, it is huge, but it is a great stadium full of bars and takeaways just waiting to rob you blind! £15 for fish and chips last time I was there, it wasn't great either. It is better in most respects than the old Wembley though, whilst I lament the loss of the twin towers, the pitch was miles away and the view of the game was just not in the same league as it is at the new ground. I suspect your hatred of Wembley is more about it being England's home than anything else ;)

Millennium Stadium is OK, pitch is usually awful but the surrounding area is much better than at Wembley.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 07, 2021 2:44 pm

what a crap game that was, looking back makes you appreciate how far we have come as a club
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 pm

Whatever happened to the winners?
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Fri May 07, 2021 3:05 pm

I had to travel back on a train full of jubilant Darlington supporters who were hoping to "push on to the next level". It does make you appreciate how far we have come compared with them. Feethams, George Reynolds, the Darlington Arena, administration and still in non-league. Wembley might be soulless, but nothing compared to the 23000 plus empty seats in the Darlington Arena.

We should be grateful for the stability provided by the Radfords and the opportunity to progress which seems more likely now that it has done in the last decade.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Fri May 07, 2021 3:09 pm

part time pete wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:The Principality Stadium is crap

Because it’s Welsh ? ;)

Because it’s dirty and poorly maintained.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri May 07, 2021 3:10 pm

Such a terrible game, I was almost pleased when they scored
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Fri May 07, 2021 3:17 pm

The jets flying over from Heathrow offered more entertainment than that awful game... Went down the West end afterwards and cheered myself up in a lap dancing bar.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Fri May 07, 2021 3:22 pm

My personal highlight of the day was when getting back on the bus after the match we realized we were at risk of sobering up so sprinted off, up Wembley way and got a crate from off licence near the train station. Returned back to a bus full of folk angry at us because we held everyone up going home for a beer run. Good times.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Fri May 07, 2021 6:20 pm

Rob wrote:
Torrystag wrote:New wembley is soulless it was better before ,im sure they could have done something without destroying it ,give me the millenium stadium any day city centre location ,loads of bars and eateries within walking distance

As opposed to Murrayfield which rocks :lol: :lol:

Wembley's problem really is its size, it is huge, but it is a great stadium full of bars and takeaways just waiting to rob you blind! £15 for fish and chips last time I was there, it wasn't great either. It is better in most respects than the old Wembley though, whilst I lament the loss of the twin towers, the pitch was miles away and the view of the game was just not in the same league as it is at the new ground. I suspect your hatred of Wembley is more about it being England's home than anything else ;)

Millennium Stadium is OK, pitch is usually awful but the surrounding area is much better than at Wembley.

Well your reply says it all ,wembley is a monstrosity in a horrible place ,the millenium is a fantastic stadium in a wonderful city ,no argument as for being englands home ,well its just a moneymaking venture for the fa ,who mentioned murryfield ,really you need to grow
Last edited by Torrystag on Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 pm

Biggest memory of that day was the drunken woman wandering round after the game . Think Darlington fans posted her on YouTube with a title of “ is this one of yours “ . Says a lot about the game.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 07, 2021 6:31 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:what a crap game that was, looking back makes you appreciate how far we have come as a club

It was an awful game, however it was worth the trip to see and listen to Terry Austin talking to Stags fans near the stadium.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Horrible horrible day. The game was the worst I’ve ever seen. They got a 119th minute winner and leaving the stadium I was gutted. Then on the way home got a call to say my father in law had passed away. That 3 hour drive was the longest I’ve ever had with the wife in the car who couldn’t stop crying.

Regarding the other stadiums, I think Wembley, Millennium and Murrayfield are all beautiful stadiums in their own rights.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri May 07, 2021 10:23 pm

Dan wrote:Horrible horrible day. The game was the worst I’ve ever seen. They got a 119th minute winner and leaving the stadium I was gutted. Then on the way home got a call to say my father in law had passed away. That 3 hour drive was the longest I’ve ever had with the wife in the car who couldn’t stop crying.

Regarding the other stadiums, I think Wembley, Millennium and Murrayfield are all beautiful stadiums in their own rights.

Thought jocks played Hampden Park?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 pm

The One wrote:
Dan wrote:Horrible horrible day. The game was the worst I’ve ever seen. They got a 119th minute winner and leaving the stadium I was gutted. Then on the way home got a call to say my father in law had passed away. That 3 hour drive was the longest I’ve ever had with the wife in the car who couldn’t stop crying.

Yes mate I was just replying to Rob who mentioned it above. Hampden is nice too but it’s a very plain bowl and boring. Anyway I best not say anything more about Scotland ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat May 08, 2021 2:04 pm

Its an english thing ,they think were obsessed with them :D
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sat May 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Wembley is quality when it's full.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat May 08, 2021 3:17 pm

It doesn,t do it for me ,the millenium does its just an opinion ,its a bit like saying old grounds were better ,i think they were ,safer maybe not ,but most had their own characteristics ive been on hampden with 108, 000in ,new hampden is nowhere near it
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Dan wrote:
The One wrote:

Yes mate I was just replying to Rob who mentioned it above. Hampden is nice too but it’s a very plain bowl and boring. Anyway I best not say anything more about Scotland ;)

Yes my bad, I meant Hampden. You need to chill Torry :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Hey we have a lovely little stadium here ,the don vicente torry,s home ground ,about 4500 capacity but ,the cheapest beer in the whole of spain
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Sat May 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Hampden:- Great area for pre/post match, parts of the ground to far away for the spectator.

Wembley:- Great view from anywhere in the ground, hate London full stop.

Principality:- Great view from anywhere and great for a pint before and after the game. So probably my favourite, even if it is in 'chip on their shoulder' Wales. ;) :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Sat May 08, 2021 4:15 pm

I like the new Wembley. Been many times watching England but only the once watching my beloved Stags.
The most dour game I have ever seen. Shame as we deserved more as fans of our club.
Made the mistake of travelling down on a bus rather than independent travel and getting lumbered at the stadium when the delights of London would have been better
Long journey back and the driver wouldn’t stop off at Narbourough for a nightcap either
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum