{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The 80s with Dominic Sandbrook

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The 80s with Dominic Sandbrook

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm

Hi all

Our lass was watching some recorded TV earlier today and she called me in for mention of Mansfield Town and Chesterfield.

The series c/o BBC, is called "The 80s with Dominic Sandbrook". Unfortunately it appears not to be on BBC iPlayer but I bet there are some out there with the nous to find it somewhere, somehow...

The episode in question is "Under Pressure"

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07p0f ... %20British.)

So what is the link to Mansfield? Well this site (https://subsaga.com/bbc/documentaries/h ... ssure.html) has the transcript but basically the host mentions 1984 and a game between Chesterfield and Mansfield.

I particularly like;

But the atmosphere that day was charged with tension.

0:18:47 0:18:51
Forget Liverpool and Everton or Rangers and Celtic,

0:18:51 0:18:54
even Real Madrid and Barcelona.

0:18:54 0:18:57
This was different.

0:18:57 0:18:59
The air was electric with bitterness and betrayal.

0:18:59 0:19:02
You see, Mansfield and Chesterfield were both mining towns.
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Re: The 80s with Dominic Sandbrook

Postby Rob » Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 pm

That was the most hate filled game I've ever been to, if its the game we played in all red. I think we drew.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Re: The 80s with Dominic Sandbrook

Postby ST4GS » Wed May 05, 2021 7:08 pm

Rob wrote:That was the most hate filled game I've ever been to, if its the game we played in all red. I think we drew.

I watched this recently and still have it on my SKY planner. Just looked again and Dominic Sandbrook talks about the game (Spring 1984) whilst being filmed at a small non league ground with red stands. I don’t recognise it. The crowd scene also shows fans wearing red within a large fenced in terrace. Could be the Kop at Anfield. No footage was taken from a Stags v Chesterfield game.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum