{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Caine, Hill and Cooper sign pro contracts

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Caine, Hill and Cooper sign pro contracts

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 05, 2021 3:57 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tillydog123 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:02 pm

The Eccles Clarke Hodgson Mathews Latham Pate Arnold era will probably be for most older Stags a team difficult to recreate but of course times styles and the game changes constantly now when in that era time almost stood still

I think Gordon Hodgson and Ray Clarke for me we’re probably our very best ever players
Certainly in that era as guessing most of the Ken Wagstaff era are long gone .
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu May 06, 2021 3:25 pm

Long gone !!! , still alive and kicking . Waggy is still my favourite , plenty of other great players through the yrs of supporting the stags
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Norfolkstag » Thu May 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Long gone?!!! - 73, alive and kicking, running daily and still rate Waggy as probably the best ever.
Norfolkstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby StagR » Thu May 06, 2021 4:06 pm

Season 1962 - 63, Ken Wagstaff scored 41 goals, Roy Chapman scored 37. Happy days !
StagR
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby smulls » Thu May 06, 2021 5:01 pm

My favourite best ever player was Harry Johnson in 1935!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Thu May 06, 2021 5:12 pm

Waggy. Langwith boy
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu May 06, 2021 6:40 pm

For shear consistency and all round play Dudley Robert’s has to be right up there for me. Made them and scored them with a number of different partners and the highest jump I have ever seen in professional football. The kind of player we are missing at the minute and one who I think was never truly appreciated by some fans.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu May 06, 2021 7:21 pm

Waggy pissed quite a lot of Stags off at Boothferry Park when he was voted as their best ever player he got his award pitch side and promptly applauded three sides of the ground, completely ignoring the Stags fans who were also clapping him.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 pm

What sort of set up did we have in the 70s regards academy players, all I rember was reserve teams playing every week.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Thu May 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Dan wrote:Waggy pissed quite a lot of Stags off at Boothferry Park when he was voted as their best ever player he got his award pitch side and promptly applauded three sides of the ground, completely ignoring the Stags fans who were also clapping him.

More annoyingly when you consider that he'd also been voted our best ever player as well.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Thu May 06, 2021 8:41 pm

“What sort of set up did we have in the 70s regards academy players, all I rember was reserve teams playing every week.”

In the late 60’s/70’s, there was a ‘B’ team which played in the Mansfield Youth League Under 18’s league. This was run by a couple of ex first team players and they trained on a Tuesday and Thursday evenings. They played home matches on the pitch behind the IanGreaves stand. It was mainly made up of local lads aged 16/17.

It was a ‘feeder’ for the ‘A’ team which was under 18 and the team played in the Midland Intermediate league. This league contained all the top league teams in the area like Derby, Forest, WBA, Villa, Wolves etc. The home matches were played on Field Mill, generally on Saturday mornings. This team contained the better local lads from the ‘B’ team and the apprentices.

The better players fed in to the reserves who played fixtures on midweek evenings in a league containing teams of a similar standard to the first team like Bradford, Hull, Barnsley etc.

I was part of this set up from 1968 to 1971. This system produced many players when I was there who played in the first team. I played with Colin and Barry Foster, John Saunders, Des Finch and Micky Laverick.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chip63 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:18 pm

Cheers Walton, appreciated.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu May 06, 2021 11:02 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:For shear consistency and all round play Dudley Robert’s has to be right up there for me. Made them and scored them with a number of different partners and the highest jump I have ever seen in professional football. The kind of player we are missing at the minute and one who I think was never truly appreciated by some fans.

My late, great, Stags supporting Grandad said Dud was the best he ever saw. He watched the Stags from the late 40's through to 2010 and took me as a small child in the 70s. He'd go on about Waggy, Steele, Phillips, Boam and others but Roberts was his favourite. I'll never forget how sad he was to see Dud in a Scunny shirt, the only time I ever saw him play.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri May 07, 2021 5:27 am

I wouldn’t say Dudley Robert’s was the best player but certainly the best header in a Mansfield shirt . I think he came as a defender but was converted to a centre forward at Mansfield
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am

daddycool wrote:I wouldn’t say Dudley Robert’s was the best player but certainly the best header in a Mansfield shirt . I think he came as a defender but was converted to a centre forward at Mansfield

Not just a header of the ball but the ability to get up there. He rose like a spawning salmon.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri May 07, 2021 2:35 pm

daddycool wrote:I wouldn’t say Dudley Robert’s was the best player but certainly the best header in a Mansfield shirt . I think he came as a defender but was converted to a centre forward at Mansfield

Yes, Dudley was his favourite player and the best header of the ball he'd ever seen, but the best player overall he always said was Waggy. Sadly I only saw him at the end of his career and never saw Waggy.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Fri May 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Fortunately I am old enough to have seen Waggy in his pomp and quite simply he was the best. But also the brief era when Liam, Bobby, Diz and Leroy broke into the first team was tremendous. Let us hope that these youngsters can provide the same excitement. At least we know that the owner will not sell us out like the previous one.
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri May 07, 2021 3:26 pm

The local boy who in my view doesn’t get the credit he deserves. He was in the team when I started in 66.

Peter Morris- what a class act
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum