{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

videos: Oldham game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

videos: Oldham game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 02, 2021 8:45 am

Tyrese Sinclair scores the first goal against Oldham

George Lapslie scores the second goal against Oldham

George Lapslie scores the third goal against Oldham

Jamie Reid scores the fourth goal against Oldham

Brief highlights produced by IMG
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: videos: Oldham game

Postby gazza1988 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Definite shove to send Sweeney into Stone. If Stone had come out earlier he'd have got the ball. If Stone had stayed on his line then Sweeney would have successfully seen the ball out for a goal kick, the momentum of the ball as he's pushed Sweeney over is enough for it to go over the line. Now I've watched it a few times on youtube on 0.25 speed.

I'd revise what I said in the match thread it's not 60/40 Stone's fault. It's 90/10 Stones fault, the other 10 is the ref for not seeing the push. Without the push Stone collects it.

Punt the ball for a throw in? possibly. But why surrender possession when we can keep possession if your keeper is switched on or you can successfully shepherd the ball out for a goal kick?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm

Sweeney had an age to deal with the situation, either booting it away, or rolling it back to Stone. And didn't. He was plainly at fault. The ball was never going to go out for a goal kick. Stone could also have done better. You're blaming the ref ... have a look at Sweeney when he gets up, he makes no appeal at all for a foul.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Sun May 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Sweeney was just following Clough’s instructions of ‘don’t give unnecessary throw in away near our corner flag’ and ‘ don’t pass back unnecessarily to goalkeeper on this bobbly pitch’.

Unfortunately common sense is needed sometimes.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun May 02, 2021 12:51 pm

Sweeney could certainly have been more decisive but the Manager says in his interview that the keeper should have dealt with it. I'd say it was more Stone's error than Sweeney's.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:57 pm

Clough has complained before about playing the ball back on the bobbly pitch. We had shepherded the ball back a fair few times. Stone claims, but by the time Sweeney gets up the ref had already given a goal. Didn't realise that fouls can only be given if a player appeals?

Am I the only one who can see the arm shove Sweeney into Stone? Just because it wasn't given doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Stone had an age to come out and deal with it too. He waited until the last minute to do something. Sorry but the plan was plain to see. In those situations guard the ball so the keeper can get it, do not pass it backwards.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 pm

90% Sweeney's fault in my opinion. He had ages to pass the
ball back or boot it into touch. He just dithered and dithered, hence the mess up.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 02, 2021 1:16 pm

It's the tiniest of pushes, not enough for a free kick in my opinion
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun May 02, 2021 1:45 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:It's the tiniest of pushes, not enough for a free kick in my opinion

A "tiny" push is a push and a foul, Sweeney was fouled, but I agree he should have just cleared the ball earlier and for me he was much more at fault than the keeper.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:22 pm

There was enough on their poor through ball to go out for a goal kick. There was enough on it for stone to come out and claim it as soon as it entered the area. Yes we had time to put it in to row Z, we had time to retain possession.

I don't know about you guys but personally I'd much rather stone have a goal kick or have it in his hands, rather than surrender possession and give teams a throw in in an attacking position level with our own area.Sweeney had it under control, their lad was getting nowhere, he's fouled Sweeney and got away with it. Bonus is he managed to foul Sweeney and take out the keeper in 1 move that evaded detection by the ref and linesman.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 02, 2021 4:06 pm

I disagree gazza. Oldham had not threatened in the game. Being gifted a goal was the only way they were getting back into it. There is no way it was worth the risk of trying to shepherd it back when it was rolling so slowly. In my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun May 02, 2021 4:19 pm

If that was a foul then we will need a complete revision of refereeing at our level and the whistle will be blowing every two minutes.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 am

Watching it again I haven't changed my mind . Sweeney had the ball well shielded and was looking for Stone to come out and smother it . Which he should have done .
Stone dithers . He dithered last week as well on the penalty . It creates uncertainty in the defence .
The manager has looked at it and was clear on the where the fault lies .
We would be comfortably top half had we had a above average goalkeeper this season keeping goals like that out of the net and probably pushing for the play offs had we had someone to put the ball in the net at the other end .Thats just 2 players never mind the 8 we are looking for .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Mon May 03, 2021 7:34 am

The keeper should have been more decisive earlier there. Some blame is to be attached to Sweeney for not bellowing "Where the f are you, Stoney?" when the ball entered the area.
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum