{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A reflection on Mr Clough's transfer dealings in January

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

A reflection on Mr Clough's transfer dealings in January

Postby diablo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 am

A not very successful Season is drawing to a close and apart from a really good run of 5 games its been mostly disappointig with more draws than most of us can remember , would it have been more successful if the manager had achieved more in the January transfer window , were the new recruits largely desperation signings ?

Players out : Menayese , Cook, Maynard, Knowles and Smith

seemingly sidelined : O'Driscoll

Players in : Quinn , Ruddington , Wright , Sarkic, Ward, Charles

The players sent out are all in the starting lineups of their respective Clubs

Of the players recruited in only one has been a regular starter and the rest largely anonymous.

Lets hope he does better in the Summer
diablo
First Team
First Team

Re: A reflection on Mr Clough's transfer dealings in Januar

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:52 am

diablo wrote:A not very successful Season is drawing to a close and apart from a really good run of 5 games its been mostly disappointig with more draws than most of us can remember , would it have been more successful if the manager had achieved more in the January transfer window , were the new recruits largely desperation signings ?

Players out : Menayese , Cook, Maynard, Knowles and Smith

seemingly sidelined : O'Driscoll

Players in : Quinn , Ruddington , Wright , Sarkic, Ward, Charles

The players sent out are all in the starting lineups of their respective Clubs

Of the players recruited in only one has been a regular starter and the rest largely anonymous.

Lets hope he does better in the Summer

I thought O’Driscoll had gone out on loan to Ireland.

You’ve also missed Lapslie off the incoming list who is also one of the first names when fit.

Ruddington Ward and Charles weren’t signed as prospective regular starters.

Menayese is still our player and will be coming back as a better player in June.

Smith was never a regular starter and showed on plenty occasions that he wasn’t yet good enough.

Knowles was loaned out before Clough’s arrival and certainly not in January and that was on a season long loan. He will also be coming back a better player in June.

Over all a reasonable window when considering our needs and the costs.

But I do expect a much better window in close season.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ian23 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:16 am

Could be merged with numerous other discussions on the matter, old ground..again
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 am

Let's face it, other than Quinn, the rest have not even been worth the ink. Here's hoping the summer signings turn out to be better.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:47 am

bigalstag1 wrote:Let's face it, other than Quinn, the rest have not even been worth the ink. Here's hoping the summer signings turn out to be better.

Lapslie on a permanent deal is a brilliant bit of business.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:22 am

Another post ignoring the current plight of how Covid has affected the finances in football or maybe a lack of understanding.

Time to gop and harvest that money tree again
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 am

stag324 wrote:Another post ignoring the current plight of how Covid has affected the finances in football or maybe a lack of understanding.

Unless you are Cheaterfield of course. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby magicstag » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 am

Think the January transfer window worked well.
Exactly how the manager was told to cut the wage bill .
Give him more scope in the summer.
Plus dont forget how much covid as cost the club
magicstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 pm

Tell me, had we spent on more players being signed where would we be?

Would 2 additional signings in January turn this squad into a champions form side? Its possible but I doubt it. What if they got injured like Sarkic?

After our start to this season survival is key. No use chucking money at it to finish 10 positions above where we are now. Whether we finish 21st, 8th or 11th, the end result is the same. League 2 next season.

For all we k ow Clough could have negotiated a higher budget next season if he trims this seasons down a bit. No idea how true but I heard Maynard and cooks combined saved us around 8 or 9 grand a week. Over a full season that could have got Clough an extra player on £4k a week for next season (just an example).

We had a good run which ignited hopes of potential play offs. People are only annoyed with January because it turned out we aren't challenging for them.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 pm

So someone who currently only moans about the football and Clough starts another new thread supposedly to discuss Clough and Sharp's business but forgets to mention:
- the signing of Lapslie which is a great, bit of business
- the injuries to Sarkic and Cain
- the emergence of Law and Sinclair
- the offloading of Cook and Maynard for both footballing and financial reasons
- the club's only aim for Clough of staying up

We missed out on two signings and Sharp will learn from that but January is a time when some managers waste a lot of money.

Another hatchet job, move on
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:54 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:So someone who currently only moans about the football and Clough starts another new thread supposedly to discuss Clough and Sharp's business but forgets to mention:

We missed out on two signings and Sharp will learn from that but January is a time when some managers waste a lot of money.

Well put GFB my thoughts exactly
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:55 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:So someone who currently only moans about the football and Clough starts another new thread supposedly to discuss Clough and Sharp's business but forgets to mention:

All of this.

Clough was never going to waste money and it does look like he would have liked two more but they weren't crucial.. if we were in grimsby's position then yes we would have needed 4/5 experienced pros in the door.

Few weeks and you can delete this and look forward to the summer window! Im sure each signing will be ripped apart by some.. might start a summer window bingo comp for charity, you just know what people are going to say :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:57 pm

I think as most have said this has been debated over and over with the bottom line always being that the Jan window was never going to be Clough's. The remit was protect league status, remove the big earners who have not performed, bring through youth, and then see what is needed to compete in the summer.

There's no way Clough can be judged for the Jan window, and as others have said, the signing of Lapslie and the emergence of Law and recently Sinclair, actually show we've a very decent gaffer at the helm who's done far better than our other managers of late would have in that situation.

Let's all sit tight, get safe, write this season off and get excited for what the summer and next season will bring. We move on.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:12 pm

If we stay up, the January transfer window went well. We offloaded 2 big earners and still achieved the remit of survival. There is basically no difference between finishing 8th and 22nd.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:11 pm

January could have been better but the players coming in long term failed to materialize and results show the present squad is hit and miss, we all know where our weakness lies,
If or when we are safe the experience of the management, will have met their target assessed the playing squad,brought the academy into the first team, saved money on the budget in a very difficult season, dealing with a pandemic playing havoc with football clubs around the country, Will we start 2021/22 in a stronger position because of our diligence in January i think we will.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:21 pm

3 pts tomorrow & yes job done i guess
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Always amuses me how some on here expect the Radfords to just keep throwing endless amounts of cash at the club no matter what,
Cloughies remit was preserve L2 status and get rid of massive earners who weren't delivering, We go again next season with Nidge and Simons savvy eye for better players.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 pm

steiner wrote:Always amuses me how some on here expect the Radfords to just keep throwing endless amounts of cash at the club no matter what,
Cloughies remit was preserve L2 status and get rid of massive earners who weren't delivering, We go again next season with Nidge and Simons savvy eye for better players.

We have been spoiled as fans since the appointment of Evans and Flitcroft and their war chests they had. It's almost an expectation every window that the Radford's throw ridiculous amounts of money around and that is not a sustainable way to run a football club. Especially during a pandemic with no punters through the door.

I still think Clough will have a decent budget, but won't sign daft players I hope.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:12 pm

stag324 wrote:Another post ignoring the current plight of how Covid has affected the finances in football or maybe a lack of understanding.

Excellent point, some think JR`s wallet will never shrink.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:44 pm

Sorry GFB, whilst I agree with most of your points, I will say once again that the only reason Maynard and Cook were offloaded was to find room for Brayford and Akins, it was not to save money. Maybe if people say it often enough it will be the truth that it was cost saving in January, but it really, really wasn't. I am sure Nigel thought he would get the two Burton lads so let the other two go, Maynard was no loss whatsoever, but Cook could have been useful and would have been far better than Reid. I'm sure we'll stay up, but it could have been an exciting end to the season at the other end had we got January right. We didn't.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:17 pm

Rob wrote:

Sorry GFB, whilst I agree with most of your points, I will say once again that the only reason Maynard and Cook were offloaded was to find room for Brayford and Akins, it was not to save money. Maybe if people say it often enough it will be the truth that it was cost saving in January, but it really, really wasn't. I am sure Nigel thought he would get the two Burton lads so let the other two go, Maynard was no loss whatsoever, but Cook could have been useful and would have been far better than Reid. I'm sure we'll stay up, but it could have been an exciting end to the season at the other end had we got January right. We didn't.

But footballing and financial reasons (which is what I have said) do not sit in opposition to what you think happened.
We couldn't keep them and bring in two players from Burton as we would need their wages to cover the cost of the two new incoming players.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:45 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Rob wrote:

But footballing and financial reasons (which is what I have said) do not sit in opposition to what you think happened.
We couldn't keep them and bring in two players from Burton as we would need their wages to cover the cost of the two new incoming players.
I agree largely with that. The prime objective was to get the two costly strikers off the wage bill. However, I think NC did expect to sign the two Burton players and was disappointed he didn't. The fact he didn't, and his back up plan, ( Sarkic ) being injured, made the job of survival significantly harder.
The new concern I have at the moment is that NC has said publicly that there will be changes to the squad, and in particular that we will be signing a new goalkeeper. I trust NC judgement, but fear some of the players may take their foot of the gass at this crucial time of the season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:09 am

Rob, are you suggesting that Clough is naive enough to let 2 players leave for no other reason than to make room?

Cook and Maynard weren't getting the game time they wanted and seemed to have requested a move (don't really blame them) and Clough lost out on akins and Brayford due to the "chain" breaking (always the case in January that teams only let players go once a replacement is sought. We got in Sarkic after our main forward target fell through. We also promoted Caine who, like Sarkic, got injured.

It is unfortunate the situation we find ourselves in. If the only reason we offloaded 2 players was to make room for players we had no guarantee of signing then we may as well sack Clough now. That's just idiotic reasons. Or maybe the reason is 2 experienced forwards have been told their game time is limited and want to go out to showcase their talents to get a deal for next season. Some players are happy sitting on a contract, others are oly happy to be playing regularly.

You've got to look at the state we were in when the January window closed. People are looking at it in hindsight. At the time the window closed. Bowery had scored 6 goals in 6 league games. Reid had scored 2 goals in 4 league games in January.

What has happened since the closing of the window is frankly irrelevant to the discussion. The people complaining about the window are crying over spilt milk. That spilt milk is the player brought in to replace the 3 in 20 and 4 in 17 strikers got injured.

Unless people prefer we only sign players who have never been injured before? It's a very very small lost of players though.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:02 am

magicstag wrote:Think the January transfer window worked well.

Think the January transfer window worked well ? Really ? If I had known we were throwing the towel in , in January I would not have brought a season ticket! Look what Bolton did and were they are now!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:32 am

Norman wrote:
magicstag wrote:Think the January transfer window worked well.

Think the January transfer window worked well ? Really ? If I had known we were throwing the towel in , in January I would not have brought a season ticket! Look what Bolton did and were they are now!

Exactly ,Good example
diablo
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum