{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Spiritater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:16 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:Wasn't convinced when we signed Quinn but very glad to be proven wrong.
Really impressed with Sinclair and not just the goal, his corners were good but they had a goalie who dealt with most dangerous crosses full on.
I still like rawson and Sweeney as a pair, though I didn't see the full games with the mistakes.
Good game and enjoyed it, well played Stags.


They didn't make any mistakes, they were both excellent. Their goal came from Maris giving the ball away and Stone diving over the shot. Not convinced by McLaughlin at left back but he generally did well, as did Perch. Clarke wasn't at it at all and Lapslie still looks lacking in match sharpness. If we had Stanty up front we'd have won 4-1, I've said that many times this season, very frustrating as worse teams than us will go up this season.
The league table, especially after 40 games, does not lie.

:thumbup:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 23060
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Spiritater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:01 am

Really pleased for young Ty who I've watched closely since he arrived. He's going to do well for us and has like Jim matured physically. Raw as yet but he's so much potential it's unreal. The energy of his age and willingness to fight lost causes will see him cause defences problems. Has to be said, if Maynard was in Ty's starting position for t'goal would he have been bothered?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 23060
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 am

Michael Flynn's post match interview

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... ield-town/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:59 am

Spiritater wrote:Really pleased for young Ty who I've watched closely since he arrived. He's going to do well for us and has like Jim matured physically. Raw as yet but he's so much potential it's unreal. The energy of his age and willingness to fight lost causes will see him cause defences problems. Has to be said, if Maynard was in Ty's starting position for t'goal would he have been bothered?


There was a thread a couple of seasons ago after a pre season game , think it may have been At Retford . I commented then that Ty obviously had potential but it was very obvious he had been used to being the best player in a youth team and he tried to do it all on his own . He was also muscled off the ball far too easy.

Last night showed he more than held his own in a mans game and he is developing in to a very good team player in men’s football.He has also just signed a new contract so it would seem he is happy with his development. Very promising for player and club
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1978
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:20 am

Spiritater wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:Wasn't convinced when we signed Quinn but very glad to be proven wrong.
Really impressed with Sinclair and not just the goal, his corners were good but they had a goalie who dealt with most dangerous crosses full on.
I still like rawson and Sweeney as a pair, though I didn't see the full games with the mistakes.
Good game and enjoyed it, well played Stags.


They didn't make any mistakes, they were both excellent. Their goal came from Maris giving the ball away and Stone diving over the shot. Not convinced by McLaughlin at left back but he generally did well, as did Perch. Clarke wasn't at it at all and Lapslie still looks lacking in match sharpness. If we had Stanty up front we'd have won 4-1, I've said that many times this season, very frustrating as worse teams than us will go up this season.
The league table, especially after 40 games, does not lie.

:thumbup:


Rob hasn’t said that the league table lies, just that we’re a good team who consistently out plays the opposition but is wasteful at one end and generous at the other.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:34 am

The long crawl to safety continues and another game that sums up our season. Play well, fail to take our chances and then make silly errors to give a goal away.

Stephen Quinn was outstanding and he was my Man of the Match yet again. I've given him Man of the Match in 3 out of the last 4 games and he was only just pipped by Tyrese Sinclair at Exeter City. Stephen McLaughlin also played really well down the left and seems to have a good partnership with Quinn. The Irish connection. Our left hand side was really strong especially in the 2nd half - Sweeney, McLaughlin, Quinn, Sinclair.

Tyrese Sinclair had a really good second half especially when he came over to the left and started to link up with Quinn and McLaughlin. He scored a great equaliser - robbing Liam Shephard in the area and firing into the roof of the net and he could easily have had a hat-trick. He ought to have scored from Quinn's great cross in the 3rd minute and put the rebound off the post in the net from Quinn's shot in the 56th minute. He also had a chance to score from a header from McLaughlin's cross in the 40th minute which he might have scored if he had been a foot taller. James Perch was also steaming in behind him.

Ryan Sweeney had a very good game and was rock solid at the back. He even started venturing forward when we were chasing the equaliser. That's two good performances from him on his return to the team. James Perch and Farrend Rawson also played well at the back.

Apart from Stephen Quinn, the rest of our midfield were below average. It took ages for George Maris to get into the game in the first half and he didn't look his usual self. I would have been tempted to have subbed him at half time. That might have meant Stephen Quinn playing in holding midfield though and Quinn was doing really well on the left. Ollie Clarke could have moved to that position but he was not having his best game either and was giving the ball away a lot. It's interesting to note that Michael Flynn told Lewis Collins to go and play off the back of Maris when he came on as a sub because Flynn thought Maris looked tired. Ollie Clarke and George Lapslie worked hard but they are both not back to their best yet. Jordan Bowery worked hard up front as always but I don't think he had a shot at goal. He received the ball in a good position in the area in the 78th minute and needed to smash it with his left foot but tried to turn on to his right.

I felt sorry for Aidan Stone as he had played really well before his bad mistake which brought back memories of Oldham away. He has loads of potential to become a very good keeper. He's generally done well in a struggling side in what is his breakthrough season. I'm sure Nigel Clough is probably thinking of replacing Marek Stech and keeping Aidan as a No 2 keeper who can push for the No 1 spot.

We are surely going to break the club record of 20 draws for the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:49 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Really pleased for Sinclair. What I liked most about his goal was that he had the exact same chance on Monday and chose to go low. This time he lifted the ball and got his rewards. A quick learner it would seem.

Agree with those praising Quinn, he is a proper footballer.


MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:05 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Really pleased for Sinclair. What I liked most about his goal was that he had the exact same chance on Monday and chose to go low. This time he lifted the ball and got his rewards. A quick learner it would seem.

Agree with those praising Quinn, he is a proper footballer.





I think the goal keeper’s position makes the difference here even though it is only by a few yards. In the first, the keeper is closer making the angle a bit tighter but the Newport keeper stays back giving a bigger target. Fine margins.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:08 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He ought to have ... put the rebound off the post in the net from Quinn's shot in the 56th minute.

I think that's harsh Darren. He had no chance with that. It was just unlucky that it rebounded away from three of our players who were unmarked in the box.

Otherwise I agree with your assessment, which is excellent as usual.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22891
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:18 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Really pleased for Sinclair. What I liked most about his goal was that he had the exact same chance on Monday and chose to go low. This time he lifted the ball and got his rewards. A quick learner it would seem.

Agree with those praising Quinn, he is a proper footballer.





I think the goal keeper’s position makes the difference here even though it is only by a few yards. In the first, the keeper is closer making the angle a bit tighter but the Newport keeper stays back giving a bigger target. Fine margins.


Certainly played a part but the option to go high was still available to Ty at Exeter.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby chip63 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 am

He's got a lot of power in that right foot, another yard out from the free kick and it was in.
Not watched the highlights yet but thought the free kick deflected slightly up.
chip63
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2811
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:44 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He ought to have ... put the rebound off the post in the net from Quinn's shot in the 56th minute.


I think that's harsh Darren. He had no chance with that. It was just unlucky that it rebounded away from three of our players who were unmarked in the box.


A real goalmouth poacher would have been anticipating that hitting the post. Arguably Tyrese should have been throwing himself at Quinn's cross shot and tucking it away first time. I'm sure Tyrese's annoyed with himself that he did not get on the end of it and I bet Nigel Clough thinks the same.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby chip63 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:54 am

A bit harsh, he was behind the defender and didn't see the ball til it hit the post, he might of heard it before seeing it.
chip63
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2811
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:58 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He ought to have ... put the rebound off the post in the net from Quinn's shot in the 56th minute.


I think that's harsh Darren. He had no chance with that. It was just unlucky that it rebounded away from three of our players who were unmarked in the box.


A real goalmouth poacher would have been anticipating that hitting the post. Arguably Tyrese should have been throwing himself at Quinn's cross shot and tucking it away first time. I'm sure Tyrese's annoyed with himself that he did not get on the end of it and I bet Nigel Clough thinks the same.

I don't think Clough does think that. He said to me that Sinclair should have done better with the two first half chances, and didn't mention that one. He just said that Quinn was unlucky.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22891
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:09 am

Very harsh I think Darren.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:11 am

As Rob mentioned earlier, Stanty would have stuck that one away :lol:

It's these fine margins we need to improve on to win games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:Wasn't convinced when we signed Quinn but very glad to be proven wrong.
Really impressed with Sinclair and not just the goal, his corners were good but they had a goalie who dealt with most dangerous crosses full on.
I still like rawson and Sweeney as a pair, though I didn't see the full games with the mistakes.
Good game and enjoyed it, well played Stags.


They didn't make any mistakes, they were both excellent. Their goal came from Maris giving the ball away and Stone diving over the shot. Not convinced by McLaughlin at left back but he generally did well, as did Perch. Clarke wasn't at it at all and Lapslie still looks lacking in match sharpness. If we had Stanty up front we'd have won 4-1, I've said that many times this season, very frustrating as worse teams than us will go up this season.
The league table, especially after 40 games, does not lie.

:thumbup:


Rob hasn’t said that the league table lies, just that we’re a good team who consistently out plays the opposition but is wasteful at one end and generous at the other.
He said worse teams than us will go up this season. In my experience the teams that are promoted are the better teams as they have won more points. Our performances this season haven't been good enough to earn promotion. After 40 games the league table is a good indicator which teams have earned promotion. Sadly our league position reflects that we have not been a good team over the season.
Next season we will be better.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7785
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Conker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 pm

We can outplay most teams but we don’t have any decent strikers so ultimately we are pretty rubbish to be honest, without scoring the goals it’s worthless.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3403
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:19 pm

Conker wrote:We can outplay most teams but we don’t have any decent strikers so ultimately we are pretty rubbish to be honest, without scoring the goals it’s worthless.



Still, I'm glad Clough came in when he did. If we'd have stuck with GC for even a couple more games we could've been in a much worse position that what we are in now.

Our strikers aren't the best, but we need to stop these silly errors. It's almost 1 a game that leads to a goal. The game yesterday would've been a perfect performance if Maris and Stone hadn't ballsed up
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby bear 73 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:20 pm

There i was thinking Stone was having a good game, when in a few seconds a terrible mistake puts us on the back foot, I know Maris being robbed of the ball was also a mistake.
The way the team responded to going behind was very good, and for Sinclair to score with 6 minutes to go was fantastic and to see how the rest of the team enjoyed his moment with him had me smiling, i thought it was a good performance but mistakes cost us again,
Our results are still not making us safe and means i am watching the Southend games so i have tension twice a week thanks to ifollow 3 hrs to Crawley game.
bear 73
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:21 pm

Amber Andy wrote: He said worse teams than us will go up this season. In my experience the teams that are promoted are the better teams as they have won more points. Our performances this season haven't been good enough to earn promotion. After 40 games the league table is a good indicator which teams have earned promotion. Sadly our league position reflects that we have not been a good team over the season.
Next season we will be better.


Rob is right. Worse teams than us will go up this season. Thats what the data tells us. They have more points than us, but it very simplistic to simply say they are better as there are too many variables at play.

We have been constantly let down by having no striker and poor goalkeeping. this is also shown within the performance data.

These are the reasons I disagree with the fans who think we need a complete clear out. We don't, we need a better front 3 and a first team keeper. If we play exactly the same but have more of a gol threat we'll make the playoffs
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Conker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:44 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:We can outplay most teams but we don’t have any decent strikers so ultimately we are pretty rubbish to be honest, without scoring the goals it’s worthless.



Still, I'm glad Clough came in when he did. If we'd have stuck with GC for even a couple more games we could've been in a much worse position that what we are in now.

Our strikers aren't the best, but we need to stop these silly errors. It's almost 1 a game that leads to a goal. The game yesterday would've been a perfect performance if Maris and Stone hadn't ballsed up


Our strikers options in that it’s pretty much Bowery and Reid on their own isn’t even good enough for the division below. But other that that yeah individual mistakes is a huge problem too.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3403
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:54 pm

Conker wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:We can outplay most teams but we don’t have any decent strikers so ultimately we are pretty rubbish to be honest, without scoring the goals it’s worthless.



Still, I'm glad Clough came in when he did. If we'd have stuck with GC for even a couple more games we could've been in a much worse position that what we are in now.

Our strikers aren't the best, but we need to stop these silly errors. It's almost 1 a game that leads to a goal. The game yesterday would've been a perfect performance if Maris and Stone hadn't ballsed up


Our strikers options in that it’s pretty much Bowery and Reid on their own isn’t even good enough for the division below. But other that that yeah individual mistakes is a huge problem too.



Reid might not be up to league quality, but I don't think Bowery is half as bad as some make out on here.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:10 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Amber Andy wrote: He said worse teams than us will go up this season. In my experience the teams that are promoted are the better teams as they have won more points. Our performances this season haven't been good enough to earn promotion. After 40 games the league table is a good indicator which teams have earned promotion. Sadly our league position reflects that we have not been a good team over the season.
Next season we will be better.


Rob is right. Worse teams than us will go up this season. Thats what the data tells us. They have more points than us, but it very simplistic to simply say they are better as there are too many variables at play.


We have been constantly let down by having no striker and poor goalkeeping. this is also shown within the performance data.

These are the reasons I disagree with the fans who think we need a complete clear out. We don't, we need a better front 3 and a first team keeper. If we play exactly the same but have more of a gol threat we'll make the playoffs
So by definition having no
goal scoring striker and a poor golkeeper means we don't have a good enough team (at the moment) to justify us being promoted.
The teams in the automatic promotion places have at least 18 points more than us with games in hand. They have performed as a team better than we have.
We may have a better midfield than most however a team includes a defence and a strike force.
The league and ultimately performance data doesn't get you promoted it's about achieving points per game and always has been.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7785
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Exiles scorefred sponsored by go for the win

Postby Conker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:21 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:We can outplay most teams but we don’t have any decent strikers so ultimately we are pretty rubbish to be honest, without scoring the goals it’s worthless.



Still, I'm glad Clough came in when he did. If we'd have stuck with GC for even a couple more games we could've been in a much worse position that what we are in now.

Our strikers aren't the best, but we need to stop these silly errors. It's almost 1 a game that leads to a goal. The game yesterday would've been a perfect performance if Maris and Stone hadn't ballsed up


Our strikers options in that it’s pretty much Bowery and Reid on their own isn’t even good enough for the division below. But other that that yeah individual mistakes is a huge problem too.



Reid might not be up to league quality, but I don't think Bowery is half as bad as some make out on here.


I’d keep Bowery despite his inconsistency, think he can play a part.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3403
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Parkinsons Perm, patstag, Sandy Pate Best Stag, smulls, steve-o, Sweden Stag, Tre Cool, Upper West, West Bridgford Stag and 54 guests