{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List 2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby BH_Stag » Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 pm

Dan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Herts Stag wrote:Good luck to Ryan Sweeney. Hope you find a new Club soon. Every success for the future.

He’s got something lined up for sure. Bet it’s announced in a few days

Port Vale.

Been thinking the same. Ticks every box there is... worked with Darrell Clarke, worked with David Flitcroft, back to the Stoke area, they’ll be after defenders.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue May 11, 2021 1:42 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Herts Stag wrote:Good luck to Ryan Sweeney. Hope you find a new Club soon. Every success for the future.

He’s got something lined up for sure. Bet it’s announced in a few days

Port Vale.

Been thinking the same. Ticks every box there is... worked with Darrell Clarke, worked with David Flitcroft, back to the Stoke area, they’ll be after defenders.

Vale have looked good too under clarke, if sweeney can sabotage some of their games that could help
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 11, 2021 1:49 pm

The retained list is very sobering.

We really need reinforcements. Some players have been kept who I thought we would have released them from their contract.

How have Menayese and O'Driscoll not found their way on to the transfer list.

Massive summer ahead recruitment drive ahead.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:The retained list is very sobering.

We really need reinforcements. Some players have been kept who I thought we would have released them from their contract.

It's a squad of 22 not all those retained will be in the starting 11 or on the subs bench, have faith and a lot of patience.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:57 pm

Don't forget with Reid. That total last season was a couple of menths before the season was supposed to end due to the pandemic.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue May 11, 2021 2:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:The retained list is very sobering.

You can only release players from their contracts if they want to go. Menayese and O’Driscoll may have done well on their loans and he wants to have a look. They could still go.

Will be a v interesting summer. Although expectations are being played down I suspect all concerned will be very disappointed if we don’t at least trouble the play off spots
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue May 11, 2021 2:05 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Thanks Ryan for your service All the best for the future
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:08 pm

I hope Billy the Cockapoo makes a return next season

:mexican_wave:
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Tue May 11, 2021 2:32 pm

You can only release people if their contracts ended or they have something lined up and it works for them. I’d like to think we’ve had some honest conversations with a few that they’re gonna be on the periphery and might want to assess their option elsewhere (eg Reid, Menayese, Etc)
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue May 11, 2021 4:58 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Thanks Ryan for your service All the best for the future

Agreed . Been a good player overall for us and left sided centre halfs are harder to find . Best of luck to him .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue May 11, 2021 6:03 pm

So as it stands we have 17 contracted players retained, plus 2 negotiating(+) and 2 transfer listed(*). They could line up like this.
Stech*
Gordon. Rawson. Perch. McLaughlin.
Lapslie. O.Clarke. Maris.
Charsley. Sinclair. Bowery.

Subs from
Charles+
J.Clarke
O’Keefe*
Menayese
O’Driscoll

Law
Ward+

Knowles
Reid
Scott

Quinn expected to sign but not certain so not included
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkstag » Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Is that your pick - there is no doubt Reid would start over Charsley.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Good luck to all the players moving on and we have our retained list, Work has started on the one call and the summer window is open.
Looking forward to our rumour mill
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 pm

bear 73 wrote:Good luck to all the players moving on and we have our retained list, Work has started on the one call and the summer window is open.

Is this your first summer as a stag? This is the calm before the storm, wait until some signings are announced :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Good luck to all the players moving on and we have our retained list, Work has started on the one call and the summer window is open.

Is this your first summer as a stag? This is the calm before the storm, wait until some signings are announced :lol:

Tick flippin Tock bear 73

Stagsnet summer of love & peace

sit back & enjoy

just remember it’s only a bit of fun
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm

I am surprised that a few more aren't being moved on. Perhaps they are, and we might see one or two more departures from the retained list?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 11, 2021 7:59 pm

Vice President wrote:I am surprised that a few more aren't being moved on. Perhaps they are, and we might see one or two more departures from the retained list?

Well only Stech and O'Keefe are transfer listed, only players on the retained list I could see us selling/loaning are Reid, Knowles, J Scott and Charsley perhaps.

The rest is a good spine to build on imo and I wouldn't sell or get rid of Bowery, O Clarke, Gordon, Lapslie, Law, Maris, Macca, Perch or Rawson
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Vice President wrote:I am surprised that a few more aren't being moved on. Perhaps they are, and we might see one or two more departures from the retained list?

Well only Stech and O'Keefe are transfer listed, only players on the retained list I could see us selling/loaning are Reid, Knowles, Charsley perhaps.

The rest is a good spine to build on imo.

I was thinking of the two players who went on loan - Menayese & O'Driscol ... who were both behind Sweeney in the pecking order. It would be a bit odd letting Sweeney go, but keeping the other two. That's why I think we might still see some more departures. (Unless Sweeney told Nigel that he wants to leave and already has a new club lined up for next season)?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 pm

Vice President wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Well only Stech and O'Keefe are transfer listed, only players on the retained list I could see us selling/loaning are Reid, Knowles, Charsley perhaps.

I was thinking of the two players who went on loan - Menayese & O'Driscol ... who were both behind Sweeney in the pecking order. It would be a bit odd letting Sweeney go, but keeping the other two. That's why I think we might still see some more departures. (Unless Sweeney told Nigel that he wants to leave and already has a new club lined up for next season)?

Sweeney leaving was by mutual consent, so Sweeney is happy to leave and we are happy to let him go, allegedly.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Vice President wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Cant see O'Driscoll breaking into the first team but I could be wrong. Menayese is a tough one, I'd expect him to go on loan again or to be backup
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Well clough is in the market for 3 goalkeepers. He's said he prefers 3 keepers. He's released 1, transfer listed another and the other has returned to his parent club. He wants to sign 6-8 players. So are 3-5 going to be outfield players?

It's also possible some who have been retained, but not listed, could be transfer listed or loaned out further down the line if he gets certain targets in?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Well clough is in the market for 3 goalkeepers. He's said he prefers 3 keepers. He's released 1, transfer listed another and the other has returned to his parent club. He wants to sign 6-8 players. So are 3-5 going to be outfield players?

It's also possible some who have been retained, but not listed, could be transfer listed or loaned out further down the line if he gets certain targets in?

I think NC said in a recent interview he wanted to get Pardington back on loan for next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Opus » Tue May 11, 2021 9:28 pm

Confused over the maximum squad size. Mansfield had 32 players in the first team in the season just ended. I assume that those out on loan or under 20 are not included. Are players loaned in also excluded.
However I understand next seasons squad size will be further reduced to 20.
After deducting the players who have either returned to their respective parent clubs and those not retained surely won't we still be in excess of the permitted size squad. Where do the extra 7/8 players our manager predicts fit in.
Or maybe I have misunderstood the new requirements
Opus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johan » Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Opus wrote:Confused over the maximum squad size. Mansfield had 32 players in the first team in the season just ended. I assume that those out on loan or under 20 are not included. Are players loaned in also excluded.
However I understand next seasons squad size will be further reduced to 20.
After deducting the players who have either returned to their respective parent clubs and those not retained surely won't we still be in excess of the permitted size squad. Where do the extra 7/8 players our manager predicts fit in.
Or maybe I have misunderstood the new requirements

I remember the League Two wage cap being scrapped mid-season. I don’t remember hearing about a limit on squad size..?
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkstag » Tue May 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Don’t think there’s ever been a limit on squad size
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum