{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List 2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 am

No huge surprises. I’m really pleased for James Clarke, he’s always done a good job and could develop into a good player.

I would guess Pardington and Quinn will be back.

It’s a bit of a shame about O’Keefe. He looked good early doors and can’t quite work out what’s happens there
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue May 11, 2021 11:12 am

I would hope that the intention is to try and loan out/move on Meneyese & O’Driscoll still?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Q_Block98 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 am

Hopefully try and ship Jamie Reid off even though we’ve retained him.
Q_Block98
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 am

Q_Block98 wrote:Hopefully try and ship Jamie Reid off even though we’ve retained him.

Seems the current intention is to keep him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Q_Block98 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:35 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Q_Block98 wrote:Hopefully try and ship Jamie Reid off even though we’ve retained him.

Evidently . He’s just not good enough in my opinion to take the club forward.
Q_Block98
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Tue May 11, 2021 11:35 am

Surprised no mention of Sir Mal, I know we know he has left but just for completeness.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:40 am

With Reid, there's a decent player there. Perhaps Clough is retaining him as a backup option and whoever he signs as a striker helps develop him further.

You never know. A pre season under Clough could be what he needs. As we know Coughlan's pre season was cut short it could have played a part.

You don't score 32 goals in a season in the league below ours and not have something about you.

The way I see it Clough wants to keep him so as far as I'm concerned the slate is wiped clean and hell be judged next season as a new signing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:41 am

part time pete wrote:Surprised no mention of Sir Mal, I know we know he has left but just for completeness.

maybe intentional and done out of respect? I don't know? The description "PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT AND RELEASED WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT", whilst technically true in the case of Mal, is not befitting of the respect he's been shown over the last few weeks? I agree though for completeness he should figure.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:43 am

If this was the case he'd have probably been under the same list as Stech and O'Keefe, i.e. under contract but available for transfer. It suggests he'll be part of Nigel's plans.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Tue May 11, 2021 11:49 am

MTFCMusings wrote:No real surprises there.

I think Riley will be invited back for pre-season should he wish to.

Interesting that it looks like Menayese may be getting another chance to impress, he has done well for Grimsby by all accounts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Grimsby come in for Menayese.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue May 11, 2021 12:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:With Reid, there's a decent player there. Perhaps Clough is retaining him as a backup option and whoever he signs as a striker helps develop him further.

You never know. A pre season under Clough could be what he needs. As we know Coughlan's pre season was cut short it could have played a part.

You don't score 32 goals in a season in the league below ours and not have something about you.

The way I see it Clough wants to keep him so as far as I'm concerned the slate is wiped clean and hell be judged next season as a new signing.

I haven’t rated Reid all season, but I think you have a fair point here.

A proper pre-season under Clough and we might see the player we thought we had signed last summer.

He should be given a fair chance to prove himself again next year
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Q_Block98 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Clough will sign better strikers and Bowery and Reid will be our back up
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 11, 2021 12:12 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 pm

Reid might want to move on himself come the latter stages of the window.

Clough speaks of bringing strikers in plurally, so assuming we sign at least 2 forwards, and if you accept he’s behind Bowery in the pecking order that drops him to at least 4th choice. On recent performances I’d have Sinclair ahead of him too who is going to need game time to develop. I don’t think Clough minds him, but I expect us to sign better players and would he want to be on the bench all season? I’m not sure.

With O’Driscoll and Meneyese, a loan move is best for them in my opinion. If they have a great season elsewhere then I presume we’ll have an option to extend next summer if we felt worthwhile. You could argue that Reid could fall in to that category as the squad starts to take shape. Time will tell.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue May 11, 2021 12:27 pm

gazza1988 wrote:With Reid, there's a decent player there. Perhaps Clough is retaining him as a backup option and whoever he signs as a striker helps develop him further.

I think Reid scored his goals in Conference South, so two leagues below us.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MobileStag » Tue May 11, 2021 12:29 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:

I haven’t rated Reid all season, but I think you have a fair point here.

A proper pre-season under Clough and we might see the player we thought we had signed last summer.

He should be given a fair chance to prove himself again next year

Think I also remember Clough saying in an interview after Bowery had his purple patch that the strikers hadn't previously been doing finishing training under GC? Maybe a pre-season of actually practising shooting may help out strikers :lol: :lol:
MobileStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Tue May 11, 2021 12:36 pm

No surprises really, Had a feeling Sweeney would want out. Lets see who we can bring in.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue May 11, 2021 12:39 pm

I think getting sweeney out is the same form of satisfaction when you remove a splinter, annoying and doesn’t belong there.

He did seem a nice lad though and i genuinely wish him, and the rest of the players moving on the very best for the future
Last edited by adamstag on Tue May 11, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:41 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Q_Block98 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Clough will sign better strikers and Bowery and Reid will be our back up

They both were last season really, I think we all seen them as a good back up to Maynard and Cook, we were saying what a good bench we would have.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Good luck to Ryan Sweeney. Hope you find a new Club soon. Every success for the future.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1970Stag » Tue May 11, 2021 12:55 pm

Reid scored his goals for Torquay in Conf South 32, and Conference 21, and got a step up to the FL with us. Think for a minute of uprooting himself from Devon to Notts, given a full pre season with Cloughie and then give him a chance! I do however wonder If Torquay come up, if he will go back there?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue May 11, 2021 12:58 pm

And I think Clough's teams will have players in midfield chipping in with goals like this season, Lapslie 9 Charsley 5 Mclaughlin 5 Clarke 3, so the out and out striker who bags 25 goals, might not be realistic, maybe more like 15 goals a season, and Bowery got 10 this season!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Herts Stag wrote:Good luck to Ryan Sweeney. Hope you find a new Club soon. Every success for the future.

He’s got something lined up for sure. Bet it’s announced in a few days
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue May 11, 2021 1:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Herts Stag wrote:Good luck to Ryan Sweeney. Hope you find a new Club soon. Every success for the future.

He’s got something lined up for sure. Bet it’s announced in a few days

Port Vale.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue May 11, 2021 1:09 pm

part time pete wrote:

I think Reid scored his goals in Conference South, so two leagues below us.

Conference: 19 goals in 31 games
Conference South: 32 goals in 42 games

Still a good scoring record. He was clearly a good fit with whatever was in place at Torquay. That's usually the case with lower league players, as we have seen on multiple occasions. Hopefully Clough finds the player in him.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum