{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Signing (Jake Wright - centre half)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Signing (Jake Wright - centre half)

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:If O’Driscoll has gone out, he may be here for cover.

I think he'll play him tomorrow and drop one of the chuckle brothers
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Re: New Signing incoming?

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:43 pm

diablo wrote:Deperation signing and he is 35 in 2 weeks and probably not fully fit . Riley probably out for the rest of the season , Menayese ,Cook, Maynard, Knowles, Smith gone....O'Driscoll , O"Keefe and Scott not getting a look in..Sarkic..not played 90 minutes yet so hard to judge his capabilities, Quinn another golden oldie yet to perform to his assumed high ability , Pardington ? what's that one all about , the only bright spark has been the permanent signing of Lapslie...and after watching Tuesday's debacle I am beginning to think we will do very well to avoid the drop..2 points from 15 is Simply not good enough..

Don’t think we will get relegated but agree somewhat that Clough /Sharpe etc made a complete hash of the transfer window hence this panick signing
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:44 pm

I assume it was always the plan to sign him but they we’re waiting for O’Driscoll to go out to free up funds.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I assume it was always the plan to sign him but they we’re waiting for O’Driscoll to go out to free up funds.

I doubt that's right. We were going to sign two players on good wages until Burton couldn't get players in, I very much doubt this is about money. It's a reflection on the other centre halves at the club should NC want to "rest" Rawson or Sweeney.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
diablo wrote:Deperation signing and he is 35 in 2 weeks and probably not fully fit . Riley probably out for the rest of the season , Menayese ,Cook, Maynard, Knowles, Smith gone....O'Driscoll , O"Keefe and Scott not getting a look in..Sarkic..not played 90 minutes yet so hard to judge his capabilities, Quinn another golden oldie yet to perform to his assumed high ability , Pardington ? what's that one all about , the only bright spark has been the permanent signing of Lapslie...and after watching Tuesday's debacle I am beginning to think we will do very well to avoid the drop..2 points from 15 is Simply not good enough..

Don’t think we will get relegated but agree somewhat that Clough /Sharpe etc made a complete hash of the transfer window hence this panick signing

I don’t think they made a hash of the window but were denied the players they wanted at the last minute. They then made a deliberate and calculated decision to allow Maynard and Cook to leave despite not landing their men. They knew the risks and took them with faith in the players still at the club. The players they let go weren’t defenders so this signing is not a resultant panic signing. They have kept O’Driscoll at the club until they were satisfied his replacement was signed thus showing astute dealings and squad management.

Their only remit this season is to maintain our league status which they will do without wasting money which will be used in the summer.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 pm

How old was Killer Kilkline when he signed for us?

It’s preposterous to suggest a player, especially a C D, who has kept himself fit, is too old in his mid 30s.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:07 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I assume it was always the plan to sign him but they we’re waiting for O’Driscoll to go out to free up funds.

I doubt that's right. We were going to sign two players on good wages until Burton couldn't get players in, I very much doubt this is about money. It's a reflection on the other centre halves at the club should NC want to "rest" Rawson or Sweeney.

You could be right. But I don’t see why he would hang around for two months if the plan wasn’t to offer him a deal at the end of it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

You could be right. But I don’t see why he would hang around for two months if the plan wasn’t to offer him a deal at the end of it.

I guess we were doing well so he didn't see the need. Personally I think the two centre backs have done OK overall this season, but like many others, have struggled the last few games and it's probably right to freshen it up a bit.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Don't think he would have had any option, if a club invited you to train then even if a deals not possible you stay and keep fit and try to impress. Good move for the club, Id rest Rawson and stick him straight in.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:46 pm

All this talk about losing strikers and not replacing them; since leaving usCook has scored 2 (same game) in 4 games, Maynard 1 in 5, Danny Rose 4 in 24, Hamilton 5 in 21, hardly pulling up trees, Bowery has scored 7 in 29 and Reid 4 in 25.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:50 pm

from https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/n ... ce-3148875

Clough: “He's not coming just to sit on the bench.

“Jake is already helping the other defenders in training. He is paired with either Rawson or Sweeney in the 9 v 9 games, they can learn a lot from him.

that certainly suggests he will start tomorrow.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Norman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 pm

Desperate times signing this chap!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Norman wrote:Desperate times signing this chap!

seen him play have you?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Leelad » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:14 pm

Please explain why Norma
Leelad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:32 pm

Will give the defence that much needed experience, why the negativity ?
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:45 pm

Jesus H Christ man, get a grip.

Reading your posts makes me want to throw myself off the nearest bridge.

We'll comfortably avoid the drop and I'm confident we'll be mid table come seasons end.

Something needed to be done, even if it's just him coming in keeps Sweeney on his toes and makes him remember how to defend.

Sweeney more than anyone has cost us the last 2 games.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:54 pm

Jake Wright is a left sided centre half so it may be Ryan Sweeney's position that is under threat. He has also played left back. It looks like he was a member of Oxford United's Conference Play Off winning team in 2009-2010 and captain of their League 2 Promotion winning side in 2015-2016.

He was signed by Steve Evans for Crawley Town from Halifax Town and was then sold for an undisclosed transfer fee to Brighton & Hove Albion.

He was clearly highly rated by Chris Wilder as he signed him for Halifax Town, Oxford United and Sheffield United. He won the League 1 title with Sheffield United making 27(1) league appearances.

He is yet another member of a promotion winning Oxford United team to sign for the Stags and John Mullins also played for them. I'm looking forward to us signing James Constable and Danny Hylton. :lol:

Oxford United 2009-2010 (Conference Play Off Winners)
Matt Green 26(15) League Appearances and 10 Goals
Adam Chapman 21(16) League Apps and 3 Goals
Adam Murray 21 League Apps and 1 Goal
Jake Wright 20 League Apps
Luke Foster 20(1) League Apps and 1 Goal
Kevin Sandwith 16(5) League Apps and 2 Goals
Rhys Day 15(3) League Apps
Alfie Potter 12(10 League Apps and 5 Goals
Marcus Kelly 2(1) League Apps
Ashley Cain 0(1) League Apps

Oxford United 2015-2016 (League 2 Runners Up)
John Mullins 39(1) League Apps
Alex MacDonald 35(5) League Apps and 5 Goals
Jake Wright 29 League Apps
Jordan Bowery 9 League Apps and 7 Goals
Pat Hoban 2(21) League Apps and 2 Goals

You can also throw in Simon Heslop, Ben Futcher, Michael Raynes, Joe Riley, Junior Brown and Kane Hemmings who also played for Oxford United between 2009 and 2017.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 pm

Jake Wright was clearly rated highly by Chris Wilder and Sheffield United fans and seems to be a good character to have in the dressing room. Ironically, it may have been Nigel Clough's Burton Albion that ended his career at Bolton where he was playing regularly.

24th June 2008
Crawley capture defender Wright
Crawley have completed the signing of defender Jake Wright from Halifax. The 22-year-old had agreed the switch to the Blue Square Premier side week and sealed the move on Tuesday after coming through a medical. Crawley manager Steve Evans told BBC Southern Counties Radio: "Jake Wright is a natural defender. More importantly he is a left-sided central defender and they are hard to get, especially when they come with excellent pace and are very brave."

31st July 2009
Albion Complete Wright Signing
Albion have beat off strong competition from an unnamed SPL club and League One rivals to capture the signing of Jake Wright from Crawley Town for an undisclosed transfer fee. The Keighley-born 23-year-old defender joins Albion on a two-year deal, following a week-long trial period. Albion manager Russell Slade said: “We had been aware of Jake for some time. He has done very well, both in training and in the game at Torquay on Tuesday. He is a left-sided defender, who can play at full-back or centre-half. He is also an excellent athlete, a good talker and I am expecting that he will prove himself as a quality player.”

31st December 2009
Jake Wright joins Oxford United on loan
Oxford United have signed Brighton defender Jake Wright on loan until the end of the season. The left-sided centre-back, 23, worked with U's boss Chris Wilder at Halifax and is eager to force himself in the starting line-up at the Kassam Stadium. Wilder said: "I had Jake at Halifax and took him out of Bradford City reserves and he was superb for me. I think that a lot of the teams that come and play against us play one up front and so it is important that we have that balance coming out with a left-footer."

30th June 2010
Oxford United seal permanent Jake Wright deal
Oxford United have completed the free transfer signing of Brighton centre-back Jake Wright on a three-year deal after a successful loan spell. The U's signed the 24-year-old on loan in December and he impressed at the back, making 23 appearances as Oxford won promotion from Blue Square Premier. Wright only joined Brighton from Crawley last summer but only made eight appearances before joining Oxford. He also had spells with Bradford and Halifax, under U's boss Chris Wilder. "After I spent some time here and got on so well with the players I knew I wanted to be at this club," Wright told BBC Oxford. Wright was involved in the play-off final win over York City at Wembley which helped reclaim Football League status for United. It was an amazing experience, especially as we had 33,000 fans there backing us. A lot of my family were there, the atmosphere was amazing and I will never forget it," he said.

10th July 2016
Sheffield United sign Jake Wright
Sheffield United have signed defender Jake Wright on a two-year deal after he left Oxford United by mutual consent. The 30-year-old captained the U's to the Football League Trophy final as well as winning automatic promotion from League Two last season. It is the third time Wright has played under manager Chris Wilder, following spells at Oxford and Halifax Town. "I have a great insight into what he is about. I've always believed that he can play at a higher level," Wilder said. "He was captain under me for a number of years; I'm looking forward to working with him again because he is a positive influence in the changing room."

11th September 2019
Jake Wright signs for Bolton
If Jake Wright can have a similar impact on Wanderers in League One as he did at Sheffield United, there may not have been a more important arrival on transfer deadline day. When Chris Wilder brought the centre-back into his team in 2016, the Blades were incredibly sitting bottom of the league with one point from their first four games. One of the defeats had come at the hands of Phil Parkinson’s Wanderers on the opening day of the season – but after making the necessary alterations, Wilder saw his side get themselves back on track against both his and Wright’s former employers, Oxford United. The rest, as they say, is history. Bolton’s new loanee did not lose another league game all season. In 28 starts Wright finished on the winning side 22 times and drew just six as the South Yorkshiremen finally escaped the third tier and plotted a route which would end with Premier League promotion.

The story plateaus slightly after that for the Keighley-born defender, who still made an impressive impact at Championship level – his record standing at 12 wins and just five defeats from 18 games – but who suddenly had some expensive rivals for his position in the side in the form of John Egan and Richard Stearman. “I was disappointed to come out of that team but the manager had paid big money for some players so I can understand from a football point of view why it had to happen,” said Wright, who then suffered a horrific broken eye socket and cheekbone in a pre-season friendly at Stocksbridge Steels, which decimated last season. “That was a big blow for me because I was out of the side for three or four months and then by the time I got back the team was absolutely flying,” he continued. “I wasn’t getting in the team, wasn’t really getting in the squad. To a man they were brilliant getting promotion. So I can’t really sit here and complain. When a team progresses like that there are bound to be casualties and in this case I was one of them.”

7th January 2020
Why did Bolton send Jake Wright back to Sheffield United?
Up until very recently, you would probably have got short odds on Jake Wright remaining a Bolton Wanderers player for the rest of this season. The Sheffield United defender had produced reasonable form, recovering from a hamstring injury which kept him out for the whole of October, and had been on the losing side just twice in the league since his return. Wright featured in 11 games in total, playing 977 minutes – a total bettered by only three of Keith Hill’s signings on the final day of the summer transfer window, Thibaud Verlinden (1,034), Daryl Murphy (1,138) and Adam Chicksen (1,248).

However, it may have been the 33-year-old’s final appearance in a Bolton shirt which tipped the scales against him. The 4-3 defeat against Burton was a difficult one to take, as it felt so self-inflicted, and closer analysis of Bolton’s defending on the day did not reflect well on the back four. Keith Hill bemoaned “huge errors” after the final whistle and it seems more than coincidental that less than a week later both Wright and his centre-half partner on the day, Josh Earl, were packed up to return to their parent clubs.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 pm

Reason why Appleton got rid at Oxford, but his old Halifax and Oxford manager Wilder, at Sheffield Utd took a gamble on him.

But in 2015/16 season 30-year-old's previously excellent fitness record was affected by a back problem and a hamstring injury, which kept him on the sidelines.
And in summer 2016 the U's have signed fellow centre backs Curtis Nelson and Aaron Martin, while Chey Dunkley emerged as a strong rival during the second half of last season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Norman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:51 am

Leelad wrote:

Please explain why Norma

Simples ! He’s 35 and was without a club!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:05 am

Norman wrote:
Leelad wrote:

Please explain why Norma

Maybe we need to look positively at this one Norman. We need to give some credit to NC /head of recruitment for the fore site to have an experienced player waiting in the wings. He's not someone who has been dragged off the streets. He has been training with the club for a couple of months, presumably to step in if our defenders suffer injury or loss of form.
Covid 19 has totally wrecked the season especially for the regional National Leagues. Maybe Hereford had to let Jake Wright go due to finances or the prospect of the league being suspended ( which has happened).
As with any new signing it is a gamble. Hopefully Jake Wright will help us get the points we need to be comfortable.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Norman wrote:
Leelad wrote:

Please explain why Norma

Maybe we need to look positively at this one Norman. We need to give some credit to NC /head of recruitment for the fore site to have an experienced player waiting in the wings. He's not someone who has been dragged off the streets. He has been training with the club for a couple of months, presumably to step in if our defenders suffer injury or loss of form.
Covid 19 has totally wrecked the season especially for the regional National Leagues. Maybe Hereford had to let Jake Wright go due to finances or the prospect of the league being suspended ( which has happened).
As with any new signing it is a gamble. Hopefully Jake Wright will help us get the points we need to be comfortable.

Forgot that one ( Hereford released him).
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:16 am

cerfjaune wrote:How old was Killer Kilkline when he signed for us?

It’s preposterous to suggest a player, especially a C D, who has kept himself fit, is too old in his mid 30s.

He was 33 and played 50 games in the 2 seasons he was here, he retired at 35 its not just being fit but also injuries take there toll over the years ,the list of football players retiring around the 35 mark is much much larger than the ones who are still playing at 36+
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:38 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

lol looks like Bish rates Burgess has highly as i do
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:40 am

Norman wrote:
Leelad wrote:

Please explain why Norma

Norman this season is far from normal due to Covid 19. Especially for the National Leagues N and S. Like us their income has been slashed. Worse still the league has been abandoned. It's quite possible that Hereford cancelled Jake Wright's contract due to financial pressures. Then again it could be he was released because he was gash.
Either way isn't it best to let the guy kick a ball before you decide his worth to the team ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum