{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Signing (Jake Wright - centre half)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Signing (Jake Wright - centre half)

Postby lifestags » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:41 am

I’m glad we’ve dipped into the free transfer market, I think we needed fresh blood and he is cover at the very least!

We can’t have Rawson and Sweeney putting in performances like they did on Tuesday.

I would go get a striker too.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:56 am

lifestags wrote:I’m glad we’ve dipped into the free transfer market, I think we needed fresh blood and he is cover at the very least!

We can’t have Rawson and Sweeney putting in performances like they did on Tuesday.

we needed a winger, striker & defender imo, inc the uninspiring Sarkic signing which i believe was a knee jerk reaction signing as the Burton two fell through
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:00 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
lifestags wrote:I’m glad we’ve dipped into the free transfer market, I think we needed fresh blood and he is cover at the very least!

we needed a winger, striker & defender imo, inc the uninspiring Sarkic signing which i believe was a knee jerk reaction signing as the Burton two fell through

He’s not even played yet!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

exactly Musings, even playing as pants as we have, he’s not started as he ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:03 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Because we were playing well and then he’s been injured....
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:11 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Because we were playing well and then he’s been injured....

Don't spoil Yorkie's fun by applying logic to the argument. :lol:
Though he is also convinced that if he calls him, Sarkic will come on and score two this afternoon ;)
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:13 am

GFB stop spoiling my fun youth, missed ya this season mate, hope the families well ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:19 am

This is about the only fun I get at the moment.
I like the unspectacular approach that this management team bring anx would prefer to do what we are doing rather than going raspberry or bust each transfer window. But it is a bit hard at the moment.
Just waiting for May and getting back to the Wonk to see all the lovely people and hopefully Sarkic get a hatrick :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:44 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:This is about the only fun I get at the moment.
I like the unspectacular approach that this management team bring anx would prefer to do what we are doing rather than going raspberry or bust each transfer window. But it is a bit hard at the moment.
Just waiting for May and getting back to the Wonk to see all the lovely people and hopefully Sarkic get a hatrick :lol:

you & me both, oh BTW it’s not Wonk it’s Field Mill ;)
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:59 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

He had all three lined up but they fell through at the last minute unfortunately.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: New Signing incoming?

Postby ST4GS » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:00 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
diablo wrote:Deperation signing and he is 35 in 2 weeks and probably not fully fit . Riley probably out for the rest of the season , Menayese ,Cook, Maynard, Knowles, Smith gone....O'Driscoll , O"Keefe and Scott not getting a look in..Sarkic..not played 90 minutes yet so hard to judge his capabilities, Quinn another golden oldie yet to perform to his assumed high ability , Pardington ? what's that one all about , the only bright spark has been the permanent signing of Lapslie...and after watching Tuesday's debacle I am beginning to think we will do very well to avoid the drop..2 points from 15 is Simply not good enough..

Don’t think we will get relegated but agree somewhat that Clough /Sharpe etc made a complete hash of the transfer window hence this panick signing

I don’t think they made a hash of the window but were denied the players they wanted at the last minute. They then made a deliberate and calculated decision to allow Maynard and Cook to leave despite not landing their men. They knew the risks and took them with faith in the players still at the club. The players they let go weren’t defenders so this signing is not a resultant panic signing. They have kept O’Driscoll at the club until they were satisfied his replacement was signed thus showing astute dealings and squad management.

Their only remit this season is to maintain our league status which they will do without wasting money which will be used in the summer.
100% this. It really is this simple. Calculated risk and all in for next season. I would go down the same route and am delighted with all of NC's decisions.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:01 am

marker_mtfc95 wrote:
Norman wrote:Desperate times signing this chap!

Will give the defence that much needed experience, why the negativity ?

On recent showings, I'd take any defender who can head a ball away instead of straight up.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:21 am

We have a very young group of centre halfs and we can do with an experienced centre half to provide competition and guidance for Farrend Rawson (24) and Ryan Sweeney (23). That is probably why Richard Cooper moved James Perch (35) to centre half. Rawson and Sweeney have had no competition since Rollin Menayese (23) went out on loan but until recently they have been doing well. Aaron O'Driscoll (21) has been no threat to them.

There are some experienced centre halfs still going strong in League 2

Peter Clarke (39) - Tranmere Rovers
Mat Sadler (36) - Walsall
Alex Baptiste (35) - Bolton
Leon Legge (35) - Port Vale
Tony Craig (35) - Crawley
John White (34) - Southend United
Tom Clarke (33) - Salford City
Scott Cuthbert (33) - Stevenage
Rory McArdle (33) - Exeter City
Nat Knight-Percival (33) - Morecambe
Sam Hird (33) - Barrow
Josh Coulson (32) - Leyton Orient
Mark Ellis (32) - Tranmere Rovers
Luke Prosser (32) - Stevenage
Greg Taylor (31) - Cambridge United
Tommy Smith (30) - Col U
Micky Demetriou (30) - Newport County

Some players turned out to be younger than I expected such as Tom Parkes (29), Rod McDonald (28) and Matty Dolan (28)

Andy Butler (37) has played 13 league games for Donny Rovers this season in League 1.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We have a very young group of centre halfs and we can do with an experienced centre half to provide competition and guidance for Farrend Rawson (24) and Ryan Sweeney (23). That is probably why Richard Cooper moved James Perch (35) to centre half. Rawson and Sweeney have had no competition since Rollin Menayese (23) went out on loan but until recently they have been doing well. Aaron O'Driscoll (21) has been no threat to them.

There are some experienced centre halfs still going strong in League 2

Peter Clarke (39) - Tranmere Rovers
Mat Sadler (36) - Walsall
Alex Baptiste (35) - Bolton
Leon Legge (35) - Port Vale
Tony Craig (35) - Crawley
John White (34) - Southend United
Tom Clarke (33) - Salford City
Scott Cuthbert (33) - Stevenage
Rory McArdle (33) - Exeter City
Nat Knight-Percival (33) - Morecambe
Sam Hird (33) - Barrow
Josh Coulson (32) - Leyton Orient
Mark Ellis (32) - Tranmere Rovers
Luke Prosser (32) - Stevenage
Greg Taylor (31) - Cambridge United
Tommy Smith (30) - Col U
Micky Demetriou (30) - Newport County

Some players turned out to be younger than I expected such as Tom Parkes (29), Rod McDonald (28) and Matty Dolan (28)

Andy Butler (37) has played 13 league games for Donny Rovers this season in League 1.

Yes true.. but only 2 players of your League Two list are over 35 years of age
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:44 pm

Clough has stated that he has a young defence and has allowed them time to grow, but as with most young players they have made costly mistakes, now a decision has been made to bring in a experienced defender to if needed give them a break, no big cost, no big contract, just a cushion to rest on, like many i have thought Rawson and Sweeney could develop into a good pairing, but still have a lot to learn,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:20 pm

:) Welcome Jake to MTFC
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:37 am

Hereford got into the semi finals of the FA Trophy today after winning at Aldershot on penalties.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Adam H » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:58 am

Rawson is 24?! :shock:
Adam H
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 am

Adam H wrote:Rawson is 24?! :shock:

Lots of Sunday supplements and long drives as a child.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum