{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Time wasting & Throw ins

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Time wasting & Throw ins

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:56 am

Time wasting drives me mad and robs the fans of what they actually pay for. Referees are far too lax with it as well, the amount of stoppage time at the end of the games is generally ridiculous. There should be about 10 minutes on average.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 am

Give up
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:09 am

Cant stand throw ins, takes far too long to restart the game, managers should be able to take quick throw ins to speed the game up. Imagine that? Rory Delap would be England Manager hahaha.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:49 am

Throw ins are fine. What would you replace them with? A kick in would basically be a free kick. How about a roll in? It would be like bowls :lol:
Seriously the biggest issue right now is getting rid of VAR and a few other annoyances much worse than throw ins. Why do folk moan about throw ins and players gaining a few yards when it’s the same for every team? I’m not thinking about any rules, I just can’t wait to be sitting inside FM in August for the first home game. Eating crap pie and watching terrible lower league footy. Love it. COYS.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:41 pm

Throw ins: Team A players steal yards and Team A’s manager is happy but Team B’s manager is not. Team B player steal yards and Team B’s manager is happy but team A’s is not. The referee takes action and is accused of being busy and slowing the game up by Team A and it’s manager, Team B’s manager is happy, etc. you know the drill. Rinse and repeat.

If players weren’t arseholes about taking them, if managers weren’t arseholes about players taking them and fans weren’t arseholes about players taking them and managers condoning or berating players taking them then they would work fine.

Fix those with a self interest first and then the throw in will work fine.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:13 pm

Quite a few arseholes on display there spart :D
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:01 pm

I don't mind throwins, and a good long throw can add a lot of entertainment to an otherwise dull game. In fact, I don't know why every team doesn't have a couple of long throw players, when it's such an effective tactic.
The one thing I hate is the constant ten yard gain, which is just annoying even if it's your own side getting the advantage.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:30 pm

lifestags wrote:Cant stand throw ins, takes far too long to restart the game, managers should be able to take quick throw ins to speed the game up. Imagine that? Rory Delap would be England Manager hahaha.

Ill try and find the clip, but the other weekend a manager in Sweden I think it was did take a throw in and the game continued
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:23 pm

No one can say for sure where a ball has gone out of play 50% of the time.
You could have 4 equal sectors along the line - the ref could point to sector 1 2 3 or 4 and the throw could be taken anywhere in that sector.
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby sunray » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:55 pm

Lino sprays the mark where he thinks t'ball went out. If the thrower oversteps said mark the it should be given t'other way.

It would have to be either the lino or ref because linos don't cover the whole pitch. Would stop quick throw-ins and slow the game down

You could have 4 equal sectors along the line - the ref could point to sector 1 2 3 or 4 and the throw could be taken anywhere in that sector.

Probably need more than 4 sectors but would keep the momentum of the game and stop the creeps
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:57 pm

Martian wrote:No one can say for sure where a ball has gone out of play 50% of the time.

Hadn’t you might as well just leave it as it is if you’re going to say you can steal as many yards as you want as long as you’re in a certain sector? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Martian wrote:No one can say for sure where a ball has gone out of play 50% of the time.

Hadn’t you might as well just leave it as it is if you’re going to say you can steal as many yards as you want as long as you’re in a certain sector? :lol:

Wouldn't be stealing though - it would remove the notion of stealing. When you get a corner it doesn't matter where the ball went out, you get a corner - so with a throw - you just get a throw from whichever sector.
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:38 pm

I said on here two or three years ago that the touchlines could be split into quarters and throw ins taken from anywhere in the quarter the ball went into touch. It would encourage attacking football and quick throw ins when a player could charge up the line under no threat. A couple on here thought it was a good idea too, can't remember who now though.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:00 pm

I like the idea of segregating the touchline.

Maybe have different colour lines perpendicular to the touchline in each quarter of the touchline and the ref indictates which colour line you can't go past to take the throw in.

A 100 yard pitch split into 4 is 25 yards, 5 different colours with the pattern repeating. The linesman can see if a player encroaches the line. At most players can possibly gain 5 yards. That's a fair compromise.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:54 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:I said on here two or three years ago that the touchlines could be split into quarters and throw ins taken from anywhere in the quarter the ball went into touch. It would encourage attacking football and quick throw ins when a player could charge up the line under no threat. A couple on here thought it was a good idea too, can't remember who now though.

But what if the ball goes out on the segregation line itself. Which sector do you take the throw in from?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Spiritater wrote:
julianshatnasty wrote:I said on here two or three years ago that the touchlines could be split into quarters and throw ins taken from anywhere in the quarter the ball went into touch. It would encourage attacking football and quick throw ins when a player could charge up the line under no threat. A couple on here thought it was a good idea too, can't remember who now though.

But what if the ball goes out on the segregation line itself. Which sector do you take the throw in from?

We call a time out and the game will last 4 hours....sound famliar ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 pm

Jesus wept, all these ideas including a bit of crayoning just because the incompetent refs can't say, whoooaa stop there.

If they reverse the throw in decision the first time they sneak yards the players will soon get the message and keep doing it until they do
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:59 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:Jesus wept, all these ideas including a bit of crayoning just because the incompetent refs can't say, whoooaa stop there.

If they reverse the throw in decision the first time they sneak yards the players will soon get the message and keep doing it until they do

Which is pretty much what I said earlier in the thread.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:57 am

Spiritater wrote:

We go to VAR
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum