{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Time wasting & Throw ins

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Time wasting & Throw ins

Postby bux46 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Hi guys and girls ... Just wanted to know the opinions of Stagsnet on time-wasting and my pet hate of players nicking yard after yard at throw-ins... I have advocated for years that the time element of football should be taken away from the referee and a time ref be introduced at every game ... something along the lines of Rugby ( and yes I know the ball is the wrong shape ) The throw-in issue really needs to be looked at, we see it week after week. The only solution I could come up with is that it should be declared a foul throw if not taken from the correct place ...

------------------------------------------------------

This is Law 15

A throw-in is awarded to the opponents of the player who last touched the ball when the whole of the ball passes over the touchline, on the ground or in the air.

A goal cannot be scored directly from a throw-in:

if the ball enters the opponents’ goal – a goal kick is awarded
if the ball enters the thrower’s goal – a corner kick is awarded

Procedure
At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:

stand facing the field of play
have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play

All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken.

The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position. If the throw-in is not taken correctly it is retaken by the opposing team.

If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, deliberately throws the ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but not in a careless or a reckless manner or using excessive force, the referee allows play to continue.

The thrower must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player.

Offences and sanctions
If, after the ball is in play, the thrower touches the ball again before it has touched another player an indirect free kick is awarded; if the thrower commits a handball offence:

a direct free kick is awarded
a penalty kick is awarded if the offence occurred inside the thrower’s penalty area unless the ball was handled by the defending team’s goalkeeper in which case an indirect free kick is awarded

An opponent who unfairly distracts or impedes the thrower (including moving closer than 2 m (2 yds) to the place where the throw-in is to be taken) is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and if the throw-in has been taken an indirect free kick is awarded.

For any other offence, the throw-in is taken by a player of the opposing team.

----------------------------------------------

The last line is very interesting as it could be used in the case of the throw not being taken from the correct place.

Just thought it would be interesting to see what is said .....
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Time wasting & Throw ins

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:44 pm

I hate throw-ins altogether. I don’t see why they should be included in a game called football, to an extent where some players are selected largely for their throwing ability.

I’d get rid of them altogether and have kick-ins instead, must be played along the ground, opposition players have to be ten yards away.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm

We never find another Stags player from a throw in, anyway. We have to be, about the worst dead ball team, in the country.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby cerfjaune » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:00 pm

The throw-in is one of the last vestiges of our development from rugby football. Until the 1920s the ball had to be returned into play at 90 degrees to the touch line which it still has to be in rugby.
If that law were to be re-introduced, it would certainly kill the main weapon of the long throw merchants.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ElwoodBlues » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:04 pm

They should ban the use of towels to dry the ball, it's just ridiculous .

What gets my back up is when players take the pee with the corner quadrant, stealing centimeters . Sad I know but it infuriates me :D
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 pm

who cares
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm

Throw ins are part and parcel of the game. Yes bending the rules around them can be annoying. However, no more annoying then any other rule bending involved in the game.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:20 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:who cares

Judging by the comments, a few do.

Cheltenham would be screwed wouldn't they if throw ins were scrapped :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:31 pm

Someone was on about throw ins being unfair because when he throws the ball the opposing team have a extra player on the pitch. ;)
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Time wasting goalies. Drive me mad. A simple catch and they fall to the ground. Twerps.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cerfjaune » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:35 pm

cerfjaune wrote:The throw-in is one of the last vestiges of our development from rugby football. Until the 1920s the ball had to be returned into play at 90 degrees to the touch line which it still has to be in rugby.
If that law were to be re-introduced, it would certainly kill the main weapon of the long throw merchants.

As a corollary to that, at the same time a ruling was brought in that the ball had to be delivered using both hands. That was because some players came back from W.W. I having lost an arm. For anybody trained in the trenches, the distance they could throw a ball one-handed was considerably longer than was the case with two.
(I’m not sure what the ruling is in rugby now. Is it one or two handed delivery at a line out?)
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Time wasting goalies. Drive me mad. A simple catch and they fall to the ground. Twerps.

Works both ways though :D If we're 1-0 up on Saturday in the 90th minute, our keeper can take as long as he likes for me :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:51 pm

I have said for a long time now that we should play 30 minutes each half, but the clock stops when the ball goes out of play. Also the clock should stop six seconds after the goal keeper catches the ball if he hasn’t released the ball by the end of the six seconds.

Is the six second goalkeeper rule still in the laws?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:24 pm

part time pete wrote:I have said for a long time now that we should play 30 minutes each half, but the clock stops when the ball goes out of play. Also the clock should stop six seconds after the goal keeper catches the ball if he hasn’t released the ball by the end of the six seconds.

Is the six second goalkeeper rule still in the laws?

I'm sure that rule is still going, it just never seems to be enforced by refs unless keepers are REALLY taking the piss
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:56 pm

[quote="part time pete"]I have said for a long time now that we should play 30 minutes each half, but the clock stops when the ball goes out of play. Also the clock should stop six seconds after the goal keeper catches the ball if he hasn’t released the ball by the end of the six seconds.

Is the six second goalkeeper rule still in the laws?[/quote

No thanks, be as boring as NFL
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:25 pm

Watch out for Morecambe's Stephen Hendrie on Saturday who can play at left back or in the centre of defence. He steals 10 yards at every throw in. He does it in little steps and by then hesitating taking the throw in as he edges down the line.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:34 pm

As a side note, I’ve noticed one of Cloughy’s touchline traits is to stand completely still pointing at the spot the ball went out whilst the thrower slowly edged a further down the line :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:As a side note, I’ve noticed one of Cloughy’s touchline traits is to stand completely still pointing at the spot the ball went out whilst the thrower slowly edged a further down the line :lol:

It made me laugh because against Harrogate this happened but with the ref. He was pointing at the spot he wanted their player to take the throw in, player took a few steps back from where he pointed and then ended up even further down the line!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:50 pm

What is coming through is refereeing teams not applying the rules which then annoys fans.
There are rules to be applied and inconsistency or non application of them winds fans up
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:04 pm

Linos should have a marker spray same as the refs have for free kicks.
Lino sprays the mark where he thinks t'ball went out. If the thrower oversteps said mark the it should be given t'other way.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:32 pm

So easy to self regulate throw ins . No warnings or telling players to go back , just wait for players to release the ball and if it is not from the correct place then award a throw in to the opponent. Some throw ins are taken from different postcodes to where the ball went out .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 pm

There was a throw in the other day which I forget where and the player actually JUMPED and left the floor as he threw it which obviously is a foul throw but he got away with it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:51 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Watch out for Morecambe's Stephen Hendrie on Saturday who can play at left back or in the centre of defence. He steals 10 yards at every throw in. He does it in little steps and by then hesitating taking the throw in as he edges down the line.

You think that’s impressive you wait until he knocks in a 57 break :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 am

Dan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Watch out for Morecambe's Stephen Hendrie on Saturday who can play at left back or in the centre of defence. He steals 10 yards at every throw in. He does it in little steps and by then hesitating taking the throw in as he edges down the line.

You think that’s impressive you wait until he knocks in a 57 break :D

Its known as the highland fling from behind the chalk . Referee call a foul :)
Watch out for his push shot .

He might have a break so he may need a rest .

OR at a long shot may get the fishing tackle out :wink: :oops: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:28 am

There's not really much to be done with thrown ins. Unless a rule comes in like a standard rugby pass, either sideways or backwards.

Or just to put some randomness into it the ball must be thrown 2 handed but the player must have his back to the field of play.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum