{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our best team as it stands?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Our best team as it stands?

Postby lancer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Just be interested what people’s thoughts are on our best / Strongest 11 and formation with the squad we currently have
Mine would be :
...........Stone........
Perch......Sweeney......Rawson.....Benning
.......................Quinn............,..........
Gordon.............Clarke..............Lapslie
............Cook....................Bowery.........
Last edited by lancer on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancer
First Team
First Team

Re: Our best team as it stands?

Postby Buxoo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:36 pm

...................Stone
.....Perch......Rawson.......Benning

Gordon....Quinn.....Clarke....Lapslie

........Reid......Cook......Bowery

Attacking as above
Defensive - Quinn sitting in front of back 3 Gordon Lapslie deeper and Reid and Bowery into midfield
Buxoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:38 pm

Interesting that neither of you have gone for an eleven that has played all season, or in our recent run :lol:

Our best team I would say is the one which started against Vale and Salford.

Quinn may be a very good player but I wouldn’t change a winning side at the moment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:01 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting that neither of you have gone for an eleven that has played all season, or in our recent run :lol:

Quinn may be a very good player but I wouldn’t change a winning side at the moment.

Would you still leave out Perch and Clarke? I know we played very well but still nearly blew it again
I believe we still Need a bit of experience a leadership on the field if we are to progress
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting that neither of you have gone for an eleven that has played all season, or in our recent run :lol:

Quinn is on a different level. He hasn't come to sit on the bench that's for sure.

He's the kind of player you shuffle everyone else around to make sure he's in your starting 11.

If he gives the ball away once in a season I'll be amazed. I'd be flabbergasted if he doesn't start against Southend.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:37 pm

broomo wrote:

Quinn is on a different level. He hasn't come to sit on the bench that's for sure.

He's the kind of player you shuffle everyone else around to make sure he's in your starting 11.

If he gives the ball away once in a season I'll be amazed. I'd be flabbergasted if he doesn't start against Southend.

Whilst I agree to some extent, he has to earn his place and really come in at the standard Maris has set recently. I think it'd be Maris who's probably dropped for him but don't feel its fair as he's been superb lately... But Ill go with what ever Nigel does :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
broomo wrote:

Whilst I agree to some extent, he has to earn his place and really come in at the standard Maris has set recently. I think it'd be Maris who's probably dropped for him but don't feel its fair as he's been superb lately... But Ill go with what ever Nigel does :lol:

i agree to bin Maris atm is bonkers
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:57 pm

lancer wrote:

Would you still leave out Perch and Clarke? I know we played very well but still nearly blew it again
I believe we still Need a bit of experience a leadership on the field if we are to progress

They both played against Vale and Salford, so they would be in my best team.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

broomo wrote:

He may well be Broomo but to me it sends out when wrong message to a player who has worked so hard to turn the season around if he drops Maris. Would be a real kick in the nuts. Play well and win and keep your shirt, that’s how it should be. If we lost a game or Maris has a shocker, then you have the excuse to bring him in.

Just my opinion and in now way reflective of Quinn’s ability.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:01 pm

Stone/Stech (both equal IMO)

Gordon Perch Sweeney Benning

Maris

Charsley Clarke Lapslie

Bowery Reid

This would be my preferred starting 11 for our next game if all are match fit.

If not well..... Ill just leave it up to nigel.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:18 pm

broomo wrote:

I’ve never seen the guy play, but you’re certainly talking him up.

Are you his agent?
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:07 pm

Can't bring Quinn straight into a starting eleven of a club that has just racked up 4 straight league wins unless injury, covid or suspensions dictate otherwise
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:10 pm

doesn't seem based on his tenure so far that Cloughie way to push a player straight in !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:28 pm

cerfjaune wrote:
broomo wrote:

I’ve never seen the guy play, but you’re certainly talking him up.

Are you his agent?

I'm talking him up because I have seen him play, a lot.

No I'm not his agent.

He'll start against Southend, I have no doubts about that.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting that neither of you have gone for an eleven that has played all season, or in our recent run :lol: .

It's much easier to pontificate a theoretical fantasy than put forward ideas of actual reality, can invite much less criticism too :lol:
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:59 pm

You have to play your best players when you can.Maris probably had his best game against Olgham. Before that he has been just average.Quinn I feel is on a higher level imo.I expect him to start against Southend.I also think that Maynard is our best striker and if fit should start.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:04 pm

geoffhill wrote:You have to play your best players when you can.Maris probably had his best game against Olgham. Before that he has been just average.Quinn I feel is on a higher level imo.I expect him to start against Southend.I also think that Maynard is our best striker and if fit should start.

We’re unbeaten with him as a DM. It could just be a coincidence.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 pm

Even the top teams can improve.I was talking to a manager whose team was playing without their best player due to injury.They were unbeaten playing without him.When he became fit he was on the bench.They lost easily.The manager said he should have picked him.It is the managers job to pick the team.Sometimes they get it wrong.I will trust Nigel to pick what he thinks is the best team at the time.Expect Quinn to start against Southend.Not sure about Maynard though.We shall see.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 am

Stone
Perch Rawson Sweeney Benning
Quinn
Gordon Clarke
Charsley Cook Bowery

Maris Mclaughlin Maynard Reid Lapsie Menayese

one thing certain do fans know our best team. i must say on my behalf i have not got Cloughs insight to training ground activity,, if we win he got it right, if we lose he got it wrong.
The one rule of a fans forum.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Albuquerque Stag » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:37 am

Stech
Perch, Rawson, Sweeney, Benning
Maris
Clarke Lapslie
Reid Cook Bowery
Albuquerque Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 am

We have only seen Stone fairly fleetingly, he's not had a run in the side. Quinn hasn't started a game yet so we don't really know who is better for us (I'd wager 1st name on the team sheet but we don't really know)

Stech

Perch Rawson Sweeney Benning

Clarke Maris

Gordon lapslie Bowery

Reid

Subs: Stone, Menayese, Charsley, Quinn, Sinclair, Cook, Maynard

Talking best side means those 5 good midfielders we have they can't all start. Except for out of position. Bowery is too but his goal scoring form since taking on that kind of role has been remarkable.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am

Clough is going to play a 4-3-3. With that in mind, I’d go,

Stech

Gordon
Rawson
Sweeney
Benning

Quinn
Clarke
Lapslie

Charsley
Cook
Bowery

That defence and midfield looks really strong for L2, especially with the likes of Perch and Maris competing for a place.

We need another winger and big striker in my opinion.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum