{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Where would we be now?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Where would we be now?

Postby robbingdog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:17 am

I was just thinking last night, where we would be if we had appointed Nigel
Clough rather than Fatty a few years ago?

I’m sure we would’ve got out of this league by now and been in a much
better place, and also Mr Radford wouldn’t
have spent the amount of money he has over the last few years.

Wishful thinking on my part I guess
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Where would we be now?

Postby ParisStag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:23 am

When we appointed The Scottish Manager, Clough was managing in the Championship. Way out of our league at that time. We went for the best we could get at that level - a manager who's previous job had been Leeds United. Most pundits and fans of other clubs agreed that Megabus Man was a 'huge' coup and had us favourites to go up. Indeed, we would have if he hadn't gone to China.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:27 am

It’s a hypothetical question I know
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:36 am

If Steve Evans had stayed as manager then we would be in League 1. Steve Evans got results and spent less money than David Flitcroft.

Please use the Steve Evans v David Flitcroft thread for further debate :)

Only 2 pages so far but if the mods merged all the Evans/Flitcroft threads it would probably be over a 1,000 pages :lol:

https://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... =8&t=37923
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 am

Evans was an unbelievable appointment. I think I described it to a mate of mine as the biggest signing in the clubs history. I’m not convinced he would have taken us up though. I genuinely think he left because he had doubts too and he was offered a bigger job.

I really enjoyed going to games in that period though. Everyone was up for it a second the atmosphere was great. I also enjoyed all off the off field access we got, like the ‘an evening with’ events.

To answer the question, we would never have got Clough at the time, but I do think Cloughs team are already a looking as good as Evans team did. I reckon he’ll finish higher than Evans did in his first season, after taking over in a worse position and I think he’ll take us up in the next 2-3 seasons
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:58 am

Wonder if there will ever be a time where people don’t keep going back to Evans :lol: We’ve just had statistically the 2 worst managers in our history back to back completely wasting 2 years and taking us backwards and it’s still Evans who everybody has it in for.

Could understand talk of Evans and Flitcroft rumbling on whilst we’ve been rubbish, but we’ve got a great manager in place now - time to forget it all and look forward to the next few years under Clough rather than wondering what would have been!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:00 am

BH_Stag wrote:Wonder if there will ever be a time where people don’t keep going back to Evans :lol: We’ve just had statistically the 2 worst managers in our history back to back completely wasting 2 years and taking us backwards and it’s still Evans who everybody has it in for.

Could understand talk of Evans and Flitcroft rumbling on whilst we’ve been rubbish, but we’ve got a great manager in place now - time to forget it all and look forward to the next few years under Clough rather than wondering what would have been!

Good post. I have been drawn into that debate loads of times. Both were good managers, but I think the one we have now is better than either.

Time to look forward and enjoy this years unexpected playoff push!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:16 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:Evans was an unbelievable appointment. I think I described it to a mate of mine as the biggest signing in the clubs history. I’m not convinced he would have taken us up though. I genuinely think he left because he had doubts too and he was offered a bigger job.

I really enjoyed going to games in that period though. Everyone was up for it a second the atmosphere was great. I also enjoyed all off the off field access we got, like the ‘an evening with’ events.

To answer the question, we would never have got Clough at the time, but I do think Cloughs team are already a looking as good as Evans team did. I reckon he’ll finish higher than Evans did in his first season, after taking over in a worse position and I think he’ll take us up in the next 2-3 seasons

Totally agree regarding the atmosphere in the ground under Evans. When he’s the oppositions manager you love to hate him, but when he’s yours there was certainly an element of excitement almost arrogance that we would win matches

I can’t wait to get fans back into matches as I think having Clough at the helm will again create the same buzz
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:59 am

BH_Stag wrote:Wonder if there will ever be a time where people don’t keep going back to Evans :lol: We’ve just had statistically the 2 worst managers in our history back to back completely wasting 2 years and taking us backwards and it’s still Evans who everybody has it in for.

It's a moment in our history when Mansfield began on a road of 'bankroll' and 'buy the league'. People will always talk about it because of the money spent and the achievements of such - which are zero!

I do feel were finally on the right track again though after the horror appointments of Dempster and Coughlan
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:03 pm

It would have turned sour with Evans eventually, but likely in L1.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:22 pm

I think Evans realised half his big money signings were gash and made a run for it.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Beano wrote:I think Evans realised half his big money signings were gash and made a run for it.
I disagree. We were on form when Evans left and would have challenged for automatic promotion with the play offs as a back up. Forget the Coventry game as that was a blip. The reason he left was 100% for the Peterborough job. He was a posh fan from the area. No other reason and no conspiracy theory.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:35 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Beano wrote:I think Evans realised half his big money signings were gash and made a run for it.
I disagree. We were on form when Evans left and would have challenged for automatic promotion with the play offs as a back up. Forget the Coventry game as that was a blip. The reason he left was 100% for the Peterborough job. He was a posh fan from the area. No other reason and no conspiracy theory.

Hes a Celtc fan.

Left because closer to home. Left us in the dirt and there no knowing what would have happened in the last 12 games of the season.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 pm

Clough and Mansfield seems a good fit, he got a very warm welcome from the fans and the grass will not always be green, but if expectation levels remain reasonable, we can start a journey
that if we fail this time, we try next time to do better, together. There is so much to do, on and off the field.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:23 pm

robbingdog wrote:I was just thinking last night, where we would be if we had appointed Nigel
Clough rather than Fatty a few years ago?

I’m sure we would’ve got out of this league by now and been in a much
better place, and also Mr Radford wouldn’t
have spent the amount of money he has over the last few years.

Wishful thinking on my part I guess

I’m not bothered about past seasons, they’re gone, but if we hadn’t appointed Cloughie this season I’m sure we would be relegated come May. I hope he stays for years and is successful. Judging by the last few months he has every chance imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:55 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I do think Cloughs team are already a looking as good as Evans team did. I reckon he’ll finish higher than Evans did in his first season, after taking over in a worse position and I think he’ll take us up in the next 2-3 seasons

We missed play offs by only 4 points in Evans first season, if we finish better than that what makes you think we would only get promoted in 2-3 seasons and not this season
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:15 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I do think Cloughs team are already a looking as good as Evans team did. I reckon he’ll finish higher than Evans did in his first season, after taking over in a worse position and I think he’ll take us up in the next 2-3 seasons

We missed play offs by only 4 points in Evans first season, if we finish better than that what makes you think we would only get promoted in 2-3 seasons and not this season

4 points, but 5 places.
Therefore plenty of scope to finish 'higher', as KKT said, without making the playoffs.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:19 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:To answer the question, we would never have got Clough at the time, but I do think Cloughs team are already a looking as good as Evans team did. I reckon he’ll finish higher than Evans did in his first season, after taking over in a worse position and I think he’ll take us up in the next 2-3 seasons

Let's be honest, not only would we not have got Clough then, we wouldn't have got him now had it not been for Covid as he would have still been at Burton.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:56 pm

Said at the time we signed a lot of them that they were in their prime 2/3 seasons before we signed the, and Evans had spent a few years away from league two and it showed. But still payed top money for them.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Evans running. Bwahaha.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Evans running. Bwahaha.

He has history :lol: :lol:

Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:34 pm

Beano wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Evans running. Bwahaha.

He has history :lol: :lol:

Just looking at his pudgy face gets my dander up.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:51 pm

He's not had any legitimate tangible success in like, 8 years. On average his CV gets worse with every passing year now, before long he'll be picking up scraps in lower ends of league 2, probably non league, for less money than ever because his name is absolute poison. We don't need to be so bitter against a man that will probably have a heart attack on the touchline away vs. Curzon Ashton
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:44 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:He's not had any legitimate tangible success in like, 8 years. On average his CV gets worse with every passing year now, before long he'll be picking up scraps in lower ends of league 2, probably non league, for less money than ever because his name is absolute poison. We don't need to be so bitter against a man that will probably have a heart attack on the touchline away vs. Curzon Ashton

I am still trying to find the 9 promotions he always claimed while he was here.
His record only shows 6 - 1 at Stamford, 2 at Boston, 1 at Crawley, and 2 at Rotherham.
Technically he could claim an extra one at Stamford as they won the league but were denied promotion because the ground wasn't up to standard.
Being the arrogant person that he is, I guess he also claims the Crawley promotion that he bailed out of as he was there for most of the season, but that still only takes us to 8, so where is number 9 ?
It also raises the question, if he is counting promotions that didn't actually happen, then should he be allowed to count the 2 at Boston bearing in mind what later came to light about his time there ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:54 pm

I think getting clough in as manager for me is a bigger coup than getting evans.

At the time we were all taken in by evens, including the board, he could have and probably would have taken us up had he not raspberried off.

Clough is almost the reversal of evans, loyal, grounded, articulate, thorough, mild mannered and is also capable of obtaining promotions without an exorbitant budget.

I know which manager id prefer to have!
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum