{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stephen Quinn joins on loan from Burton

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stephen Quinn joins on loan from Burton

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
1970Stag wrote:Looks a good signing, and I know Clough has contacts at Burton, but all this talk of signing their players when they are having an absolutely awful season doesn't fill me with confidence. There's a reason they're bottom of the table, but I believe Clough can get the best out of them and slot them into the Stags team to keep us going forward.

I see what you are saying hut surely not every single one of them is pants. Look at our relegation side Mickey Boulding and Stephen Dawson spring to mind, both good enough but we were relegated and that's league 2 standard.

Bucko & Bap both went on to play championship football for years after getting relegated to the conference (Premiership for Bap too)

Of course. How could I forget Bap. Buxton too.

Just shows that crap teams doesn't equal crap players. Look at us this season it's like a complete rebuild has happened. Go back a few months and say we will win 4 on the trot and Bowery will score 6 in 4 straight games, including a hattrick, and we'd be the form side of the league etc etc you'd be laughed at by all.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 pm

I know that this is a discussion board and all comments are obviously welcome.

But I’m really struggling with anyone questioning Clough‘s judgement atm.

I can’t think of any manager since Greavsie that filled me with such confidence.

:coys:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 am

Beano wrote:I know that this is a discussion board and all comments are obviously welcome.

I can’t think of any manager since Greavsie that filled me with such confidence.

Agreed.

Im just trying to sit back and enjoy his management.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:50 am

Looks a solid signing, maybe the playoffs are a possibility after all...
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Albuquerque Stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 am

My father told me to put a bet on us getting promoted before Christmas...Hopefully I'm the fool and not him. Think he might've been right after all. Up The Stags!
Albuquerque Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:47 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
cerfjaune wrote:Could be our new Scott Sellars.
All we need now is the new Killer Kilkline.

Do you remember that corner routine? It was phenomenal.

Was that the one where it more like a free kick?

Seem to recall us smashing one in fron the edge of the box against Luton or Hull I think? Have a funny feeling we won it 4-1
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:50 am

Beano wrote:I know that this is a discussion board and all comments are obviously welcome.

Stagsnet innit. Some people aren’t happy unless they’ve got something to moan about.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:55 am

We all know who aswell...
Its a happier place when ya just foe em.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 am

Captain Cunno wrote:We all know who aswell...
Its a happier place when ya just foe em.

‘‘Tis true it works really well
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 am

Albuquerque Stag wrote:My father told me to put a bet on us getting promoted before Christmas...Hopefully I'm the fool and not him. Think he might've been right after all. Up The Stags!

A few weeks ago a workmate was giving me pelters because he'd put a bet on Stags getting promoted on the back of what I'd said about our summer signings (I'm an incurable optimist).
This week I suggested he cellotape the betting slip back together as the EW bet for promotiin was still on. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
cerfjaune wrote:Could be our new Scott Sellars.
All we need now is the new Killer Kilkline.

Do you remember that corner routine? It was phenomenal.

Was that the one where it more like a free kick?

Seem to recall us smashing one in fron the edge of the box against Luton or Hull I think? Have a funny feeling we won it 4-1

Maybe someone can dig it out but I recall a corner routine involving sellers, specifically a corner take on the Bishop Street side of QLE.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm

Matlockbrewer wrote:Fabulous signing that folks. He was great for us and sad to see him go. Very pleased, but not surprised, at your team's progress. NC did the same at SUFC in his first season. You are a good outside bet for the play-offs. I, for one, follow your results now. Good luck.

Cheers mate. Good luck to your team this season
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby West Ham 1969 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:23 pm

1970Stag wrote:Looks a good signing, and I know Clough has contacts at Burton, but all this talk of signing their players when they are having an absolutely awful season doesn't fill me with confidence. There's a reason they're bottom of the table, but I believe Clough can get the best out of them and slot them into the Stags team to keep us going forward.

Most of our players were having an awful season before Clough arrived...just saying :D
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Well said mate :P
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Quinny one of the first names on Burtons team sheet, a fierce competitor, I think Clough is fed up with biting his fingernails after we have dominated teams, always very vocal passionate with a desire to win. This is Clough takes a knackered old war horse gives him a job to do, and we marvel at the results, sometimes just character in the dressing makes a difference.
This has come out of the blue,, Burton signed a striker so i thought Akins on his way never expected Quinn, so my thoughts Clarke must be given a free role, so Perch is a experienced holding midfielder and i have commented on space in front of the back 4, so Clough must feel he needs someone experienced in that role, to free Perch for defensive duties,
Clarke wasted in a holding role, certainly purpose in this move, cannot imagine why Burton let him go, be interesting to hear what J-F-H has to say
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Loz6013 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Loz6013
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:59 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Massive welcome to Stephen ,hope your time at MTFC is most enjoyable :D

The Mighty Quinn :D

I remember going up to Blackpool in the cup (we won) in the 60’s when their captain was a player called Quinn. They came onto the pitch to this record and I thought it very inspirational even if it didn’t do them much good.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Massive welcome to Stephen ,hope your time at MTFC is most enjoyable :D

The Mighty Quinn :D

I remember going up to Blackpool in the cup (we won) in the 60’s when their captain was a player called Quinn. They came onto the pitch to this record and I thought it very inspirational even if it didn’t do them much good.

Rotherham at Millmoor used to play it as they ran out
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Agreed, I have a feeling he will be here for a very long time!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 pm

bear 73 wrote:Quinny one of the first names on Burtons team sheet, a fierce competitor, I think Clough is fed up with biting his fingernails after we have dominated teams, always very vocal passionate with a desire to win. This is Clough takes a knackered old war horse gives him a job to do, and we marvel at the results, sometimes just character in the dressing makes a difference.
This has come out of the blue,, Burton signed a striker so i thought Akins on his way never expected Quinn, so my thoughts Clarke must be given a free role, so Perch is a experienced holding midfielder and i have commented on space in front of the back 4, so Clough must feel he needs someone experienced in that role, to free Perch for defensive duties,
Clarke wasted in a holding role, certainly purpose in this move, cannot imagine why Burton let him go, be interesting to hear what J-F-H has to say

JFH says Quinn wanted to move closer to home, by home I assume he lives somewhere in the Sheffield area?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:57 pm

I think his judgement about what to wear at the matches is questionable ......I wonder why he doesn't wear a better coat especially in the rain :)

I agree he is a class act.

Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm

oldweststander wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Quinny one of the first names on Burtons team sheet, a fierce competitor, I think Clough is fed up with biting his fingernails after we have dominated teams, always very vocal passionate with a desire to win. This is Clough takes a knackered old war horse gives him a job to do, and we marvel at the results, sometimes just character in the dressing makes a difference.

JFH says Quinn wanted to move closer to home, by home I assume he lives somewhere in the Sheffield area?

Sheffield to Burton isn’t exactly the longest commute
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:03 pm

Sheffield to Mansfield nearer and easier to get to.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 pm

It probably halves his commute time.

According to Google Burton fc to Sheffield is 1hr 4mins and RH Academy to Sheffield is 37 minutes. That's just to where Google drops the pin for Sheffield.

Plus he may just feel at home working with Clough ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:21 am

And most of all it’s saving money on fuel & gives you extra time with the family.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum