{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stephen Quinn joins on loan from Burton

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stephen Quinn joins on loan from Burton

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:30 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:32 pm

A great addition to the team welcome & good luck Quinny
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Clough also mentioned he was going to watch Knowles and the recall option. Another indicator a striker is on their way out and Knowles may be a last resort option should we fail to secure a replacement?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Stephen Quinn (34) is a regular first team starter for Burton. I can't understand why Burton have allowed him out on loan.

Maybe their new manager has lined up someone better. Doesn't mean SQ won't do a job for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Looks a good signing, and I know Clough has contacts at Burton, but all this talk of signing their players when they are having an absolutely awful season doesn't fill me with confidence. There's a reason they're bottom of the table, but I believe Clough can get the best out of them and slot them into the Stags team to keep us going forward.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Quality player

Is this the same Stephen Quinn who played for Sheff U

While I was a student in Sheffield unused to steward one week at blades, the next at Hillsborough. I was there last time blades were in the prem 06-09. That's enough about my youth.... He was quality for them but must be getting on a bit now.

He can still do a job and cloughie will know him well
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:34 pm

1970Stag wrote:Looks a good signing, and I know Clough has contacts at Burton, but all this talk of signing their players when they are having an absolutely awful season doesn't fill me with confidence. There's a reason they're bottom of the table, but I believe Clough can get the best out of them and slot them into the Stags team to keep us going forward.

The same players that were so poor for us earlier in the season are now the form team in the league.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 pm

1970Stag wrote:Looks a good signing, and I know Clough has contacts at Burton, but all this talk of signing their players when they are having an absolutely awful season doesn't fill me with confidence. There's a reason they're bottom of the table, but I believe Clough can get the best out of them and slot them into the Stags team to keep us going forward.

Just wow... :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:42 pm

Not seen him play or know much about him, going to be interesting to hear Cloughs views of what he will bring to the team and how he's going to fit in, likewise hearing from Quinn and his thoughts of what he wants to bring to us.
It's just the age of 34 and 8 games a month on very heavy pitches that's a slight concern.
Welcome to the Stags though and best of wishes.

PS where does he live? Burtons not that faraway.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:43 pm

According to Burton fans he lives in Sheffield, so makes sense for both parties.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Could be our new Scott Sellars.
All we need now is the new Killer Kilkline.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby chip63 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:According to Burton fans he lives in Sheffield, so makes sense for both parties.

Hope he remembers to turn left at junction 28 and not right :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:59 pm

chip63 wrote:Hope he remembers to turn left at junction 28 and not right :D

Junction 29 would be even better
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Maynard talking Rochdale i was texted today
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:19 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Maynard talking Rochdale i was texted today

Very suspicious to me that he has been retrospectively added to Cloughs quotes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Most League Appearances for Burton Albion 2020-2021
Lucas Akins (F) 22(0)
Stephen Quinn (M) 21(1)
John Brayford (D) 18(0)
Colin Daniel (D) 17(2)
Joe Powell (M) 16(3)
Ryan Edwards (M) 15(5)
Kieran O'Hara (G) 15(0)
Kane Hemmings (F) 14(2) (signed post Clough)
Sam Hughes (D) 14(0) (signed post Clough)
Ciaran Gilligan (M) 12(3)

Just need to sign Lucas Akins and John Brayford as well .....and then Junior is next on the list :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:55 pm

I hope Nigel Clough has included the same clause to protect the Stags in case Stephen Quinn has any further knee problems.

22/08/18: Burton Albion have signed Republic of Ireland midfielder Stephen Quinn on a short-term deal until 22 January. The 32-year-old was a free agent after his contract with Championship club Reading expired in the summer. Capped 18 times by his country, Quinn had been training with the League One club at St George's Park. "I had time off over the summer to get the body right, and get that buzz and love for the game back," he told the club website. "I contacted the club to see if I could get fit and train, and I've done well enough in training that the manager sees something in me still, and he's offered me the deal."

16/01/19: Stephen Quinn is close to signing a contract extension with Burton Albion. The former Republic of Ireland international's current deal expires on January 22, meaning he would be out-of-contract at Burton following Saturday's League One trip to Doncaster Rovers. Nigel Clough said "It's coming on all the time, we are hoping this week," said Clough. "There's just a couple of little things, I think we're about 90 per cent there with it. It's just a couple of things. We're thinking about putting a clause in that he pays us money if he gives penalties away, so I think he'll end up owing us!" Quinn was penalised for a handball in the Burton box during Saturday's 3-2 loss to Gillingham, and he also conceded a penalty in last month's 2-0 defeat at Luton Town. The ex-Hull City and Sheffield United midfielder has made 28 appearances in all competitions for Albion since joining in August, becoming a mainstay in the holding midfield role.

18/01/19: Stephen Quinn has signed an 18-month contract extension with Burton Albion. The former Republic of Ireland international, who has made 28 appearances since joining the Brewers in August, has put pen to paper on a deal that will keep him at the Pirelli Stadium until the end of 2019-20. Discussions had been taking place for the past few months, with Albion keen to sign up a player who has become a virtual ever-present at the base of their midfield. Only Lucas Akins (27) and Scott Fraser (25) have made more League appearances than Quinn's 23 for the Brewers this season.

Nigel Clough has labelled it as "brilliant news". "Since he has come to train with us and then got in the team, he has been a huge influence and complements our other two midfielders - and we are delighted he has committed himself to another 18 months. His experience allows him to get on the ball and dictate things for us and that’s the best way to utilise him. We believe that good players can always play with other good players and that’s the way it works with him and Jamie Allen and Scott Fraser. They are still improving but the three in there as good as we can get. Stephen is an international player who has played at the highest level in this country and he’s a good positive influence on the young players on and off the pitch."

21/01/19: Nigel Clough says Stephen Quinn's contract extension can help them to build the "nucleus" of a team at Burton Albion. Former Sheffield United and Hull City midfielder Quinn put pen to paper on a new Brewers deal on Friday, which will keep him at the Pirelli Stadium until the end of the 2019-20 season. He follows Lucas Akins, Marcus Harness and Reece Hutchinson, who have all signed new contracts in recent weeks. Quinn has become a key performer since joining Albion as a free agent in August, making 29 appearances in all competitions and making the holding midfield role his own.

And Clough is hopeful he can continue to play a part in Burton's spine throughout the rest of this season and the next. "I think the whole dressing room is pleased - hopefully all our supporters are, but I think all the players in the dressing room are pleased he's hanging around," said the Burton boss. "The influence he has had since he came in and the quality he has got as a player, I don't think anybody can question what they've seen in the past two or three months. We're delighted he's going to be around for the next 18 months. He has been very fair with things. If he does break down with his knee, then there's something in there, we're protected, he's looked after."

07/07/20: Midfielder Stephen Quinn, defender John Brayford and utility player Kieran Wallace have all signed new reduced-terms deals at Burton Albion. The trio were all out of contract at the end of the 2019-20 League One season, which was curtailed by the coronavirus pandemic. Veteran Quinn, 34, and Wallace, 25, have signed one-year agreements. Meanwhile, Brayford, 32, has signed a two-year contract with the Brewers, after talks with boss Jake Buxton. "I spoke to the new manager about it and I decided it was the right thing to do," the former Derby and Crewe full-back said. "If reducing my pay was going to help the football club in the long run, then I was happy to help." Buxton said of the trio: "We're delighted that John's staying at the club and he's shown he's still got a lot to offer at this level. I think it's a brilliant message to the Burton Albion supporters that someone of Stephen's calibre wants to stay at the club. When you have to assemble a squad of players, a player like Kieran is always an important part of that."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 pm

I see what you are saying hut surely not every single one of them is pants. Look at our relegation side Mickey Boulding and Stephen Dawson spring to mind, both good enough but we were relegated and that's league 2 standard.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:11 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

I see what you are saying hut surely not every single one of them is pants. Look at our relegation side Mickey Boulding and Stephen Dawson spring to mind, both good enough but we were relegated and that's league 2 standard.

Bucko & Bap both went on to play championship football for years after getting relegated to the conference (Premiership for Bap too)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:12 pm

Massive welcome to Stephen ,hope your time at MTFC is most enjoyable :D

The Mighty Quinn :D

Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:12 pm

cerfjaune wrote:Could be our new Scott Sellars.
All we need now is the new Killer Kilkline.

Do you remember that corner routine? It was phenomenal.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 pm

If Stephen Quinn, James Perch and Nicky Maynard started in the same Stags team then they would have a total of 1,136(213) league appearances between them.

James Perch 432(62)
Stephen Quinn 398(51)
Nicky Maynard 306(100)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Matlockbrewer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:40 pm

Fabulous signing that folks. He was great for us and sad to see him go. Very pleased, but not surprised, at your team's progress. NC did the same at SUFC in his first season. You are a good outside bet for the play-offs. I, for one, follow your results now. Good luck.
Matlockbrewer
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby smulls » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Spiritater wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
daddycool wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Looking at t'Brewers forum, they're not exactly heartbroken

A bit hard to judge as there are only 3 comments

Well yes, but you'd expect something a little more in the :cry: column if he was that good.

Twitter tells a different story, the majority of Burton fans are sorry to see him leave

Sorry BH don't do twitter. However I hope Quinny is lifting the League 2 champion for us in June :D

:guitar:
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:51 pm

Matlockbrewer wrote:Fabulous signing that folks. He was great for us and sad to see him go. Very pleased, but not surprised, at your team's progress. NC did the same at SUFC in his first season. You are a good outside bet for the play-offs. I, for one, follow your results now. Good luck.
Cheers mb. Nigel has been impressive so far. He has turned us around using the same players who previously looked relegation fodder.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum