{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

If it's not broken.....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

If it's not broken.....

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:40 pm

then don't fix it?

Given we are top of the form league and have won four on the bounce, would you change a winning team and bring in new (expensive) signings that might disrupt the approach, when the formula seems to be working?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Re: If it's not broken.....

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:50 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:then don't fix it?

Given we are top of the form league and have won four on the bounce, would you change a winning team and bring in new (expensive) signings that might disrupt the approach, when the formula seems to be working?

Yes I absolutely would, we're on a good run but Sunday showed we are still behind the better sides in this league. We definitely need a striker and one more central midfielder at least.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Yes. No brainier
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Yes. No brainier

Than who?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:01 pm

A bit of competition is good for productivity.

As long as we only sign players who are a marked improvement then it's fine.

We might be too of the L2 form table, but the squad we have is threadbare and we can still improve the first 11.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:04 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yes. No brainier

Than who?

They’re on a good run but could you honestly say that the team couldn’t be improved ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:06 pm

Yeah, for me we still need a winger and a striker.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yes. No brainier

Than who?

They’re on a good run but could you honestly say that the team couldn’t be improved ?

Re read your first post and my response. More seriously, I was interested in people's views. Yes, we may need strengthening but based on us being 'top' of the form table since NC started you might start from the point that don't break up a settled and winning team. Stability seems to be the approach NC is taking and he hasn't been swayed by some bumps in the road.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:14 pm

We have a very thin squad with fringe players who are very unlikely to ever start a game for various reasons, they can leave and be replaced with others who will be competitive.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:41 pm

I would definitely like to see another centre half, left wing back/ midfielder and forward
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby West Ham 1969 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 pm

Definitely the right time. Players will be looking at the current form, hearing how Nigel is getting the team playing and what morale and training etc. is like, then think....I would like to be part of that.
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:25 am

Need to strengthen the squad even if they don’t go directly into the first team, just look how threadbare the bench has been recently. Injuries or suspensions May break up the starting 11 we have so we need players able to come in.

A pacey wonder would be my first target
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:50 am

Jimstag wrote:Need to strengthen the squad even if they don’t go directly into the first team, just look how threadbare the bench has been recently. Injuries or suspensions May break up the starting 11 we have so we need players able to come in.

A pacey wonder would be my first target

I think a pacey WONDER would be most people’s target lol
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby five to three » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am

The best time to change things is when you're winning. It sets a higher standard for those coming in.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am

It's not broken but it is "fragile".

Looking at the squad it's not a bad squad. We've 4 good midfielders and a young lad out on loan who is doing well. yes he's didn't have the greatest games earlier in the season but not many did.

We will see if Reid has found his scoring boots. Cook looked a little rusty past couple of games. We've got Maynard too. Plus there's knowles out on loan.

Down the right we've got Gordon, Perch, O'Keeffe, J. Clarke and Sinclair. Charsley too, to a degree.

Down the left we've got Benning and McLaughlin. Bowery as well depending how technical you get. Also Law

At the back we've got Sweeney, Rawson, Menayese, Perch and O'Driscoll

We ve also got 2 keepers good enough to start.

That's the core of the side. That left hand side needs work the most imo.

It'll boil down to who he can move on and who he can bring in. We should always be looking to improve or we will just stay where we are. I'm sure nobody wants us to stay a midtable L2 side forever.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 am

Nigel Clough has said more than once that his remit for this season is survival as a league club. He has transformed the fortunes of the team over the last 12 matches, and we can all see that, with a fair wind and a little luck, we can do more than just survive. But January is a difficult month for signing players, almost all of whom are mid-contract. You're only going to get players not valued by their current club, or loanees. Given the uncertainties caused by Covid, there's less incentive than usual to take on additional employees. So there's a strong argument for just seeing the season out with what we've got, and strengthening at more leisure in the summer, ahead of a push for promotion next season. Of course, if Nigel Clough thinks he's a realistic chance of getting us up this season, then that might put a different slant on things. What I don't understand is why there's been no talk of signing Lapslie permanently. Is he contractually bound to stay with us for the rest of the season, or could Charlton transfer him from under our noses?
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 pm

PaulG wrote:Nigel Clough has said more than once that his remit for this season is survival as a league club. He has transformed the fortunes of the team over the last 12 matches, and we can all see that, with a fair wind and a little luck, we can do more than just survive. But January is a difficult month for signing players, almost all of whom are mid-contract. You're only going to get players not valued by their current club, or loanees. Given the uncertainties caused by Covid, there's less incentive than usual to take on additional employees. So there's a strong argument for just seeing the season out with what we've got, and strengthening at more leisure in the summer, ahead of a push for promotion next season. Of course, if Nigel Clough thinks he's a realistic chance of getting us up this season, then that might put a different slant on things. What I don't understand is why there's been no talk of signing Lapslie permanently. Is he contractually bound to stay with us for the rest of the season, or could Charlton transfer him from under our noses?

It's a good case for leaving it until the summer but the flip side to that is if he gets players in on loan whose contract is up in the summer and he signs them in the summer then they won't have to be integrated into the side in pre season as much.

As for Lapslie. He is our player for the season. There are caveats to this. If we agreed a recall clause then I think Charlton can recall him (thinking back to when walker was here I think it was said that after the first 3 weeks of January window then this recall cannot happen but it depends on the wording in the loan contract, Derby recalled Elsnik that January to avoid us getting him for free at the end of the season.they thought they could sell him). However Charlton can recall him if we agree to it and also if Charlton transfer him to another club.

We won't be out of the woods yet until either we buy him off Charlton or the transfer window ends and he's still here.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 pm

We need a team who can compete and control games, this still will have games that go against us, Clough has got the squad learning his methods and what he expects, football clubs need to evolve, and Scunthorpe-Oldham shows we battered them but still had to hang on at the end, quality shines through and if you can get it you must.
Clough is the boss and player power does not exist, nor does owner interference in team affairs, this is why big clubs stay clear of him being a Head coach to some corporate mogul, not his style, Hence, Morris got Derby in a mess he wasn't having a dictator so had 12 head coaches in 8 years, and now close to relegation, Sheff Utd spent years in the wilderness, Clough went clashed with their tin pot dictator John McCabe who partner Prince Abdullah bought half the club for a pound, , after McCabe clashed with Clough and wanted him sacked, Prince Abdullah got rid of McCabe and suddenly a manager was allowed to do his job and they went from league 1 to the premiership, This is a long tail to say no player coming in will affect the squad.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Of course we need to.

in the last 5 games carlisle and southend have both gained 10 points, one is top, one is in last place. it’s nice to have but we could easily go and lose a few on the run also
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:46 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yes. No brainier

Than who?

Re read your first post and my response. More seriously, I was interested in people's views. Yes, we may need strengthening but based on us being 'top' of the form table since NC started you might start from the point that don't break up a settled and winning team. Stability seems to be the approach NC is taking and he hasn't been swayed by some bumps in the road.

I read your post. I read your response. I gave you my view, which you claim to be interested in. We could improve the team, how we do it, I’ll leave to the boss.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:53 pm

I don’t think 2-3 changes will bring instability, unless key players were bombed out like last January.

A couple of good additions will add to the quality of the group and keep everyone in their toes. I guess that the players who leave will only be on the fringes anyway
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Blackburn Stag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:26 pm

Based on last Sunday, I think having to bring on players like O'Driscoll "disrupts the approach" so as a minimum the bench needs strengthening.
Blackburn Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stag324 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Also put in the mix that Lapslie could leave and we would really be up the creek without a paddle
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:42 pm

Quinn signing shows that there’s a likelihood that Lapslie is offski.

Not so much of if it ain’t broke, more a case of fixing it if something breaks it.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:45 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Quinn signing shows that there’s a likelihood that Lapslie is offski.

Not so much of if it ain’t broke, more a case of fixing it if something breaks it.

I don’t think it shows this at all. A bit of a leap to come to that conclusion. It just shows that we needed more depth in the position and now we have it.

More likely to be the end of Smith I reckon
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum