{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough + Perch press conference, Fri 27 Nov

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough + Perch press conference, Fri 27 Nov

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:39 pm

FA Cup is still ‘extremely special,’ says boss
mansfieldtown.net, Friday 27th November 2020

Mansfield Town manager Nigel Clough says he wants his players to be ‘excited’ by Sunday’s Emirates FA Cup match against Dagenham & Redbridge, with a victory potentially setting up a Third Round tie against top flight opposition.

The Stags saw off Sky Bet League One Sunderland away from home in Round One, with on-loan midfielder George Lapslie netting the game’s only goal in the second-half.

The boss says he is looking for a reaction from Tuesday’s 1-0 loss to Harrogate Town, and has also warned his players to guard against complacency this weekend.

“We have to pick ourselves up [from Tuesday] and go again in the FA Cup,” he told iFollow Stags. “We want to start well and brightly, which is our intention in all games.

“I would hope that we can impose ourselves on Dagenham on Sunday, and with all of the effort and endeavour that’s been going in over recent weeks, we can start creating some chances and scoring some goals.

“They [Dagenham & Redbridge] are a good, solid Conference side. They’re athletic, have a bit of pace, and the confidence that they’ll have by beating a League Two side [Grimsby] in the last round, they’ll be looking forward to it on Sunday.

Read more at https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020 ... re-dagred/

iFollow Stags subscribers can watch the boss’ interview in full on mansfieldtown.net/ifollow

-------------------------

Mansfield Town manager Nigel Clough dreams of more FA Cup giant-killing moments as he recalls the day non-league Burton Albion took Manchester United to third round replay
chad.co.uk, By Stephen Thirkill, Friday 27th November 2020

The magic of the FA Cup is still very much alive for Nigel Clough.

The Mansfield manager took then League One Sheffield United all the way to the FA Cup semi-final in 2014, when they were beaten 5-3 by Hull City.

But his most memorable FA Cup moment came when his non-league Burton Albion side forced star-studded Manchester United to a third round replay in 2006.

“It was incredible to take Man United to a replay,” said Clough. “The financial impact it had on Burton was staggering.

Read more at https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... ay-3050194

--------------------

Mansfield Town boss Nigel Clough says new tier restrictions give some League Two sides an unfair advantage

Mansfield Town boss Nigel Clough believes non-tier three sides in League Two now have an unfair advantage.

Stags will have to play Crawley behind closed doors on 5th December after Nottinghamshire was placed under tier 3 restrictions.

But Mansfield will face back-to-back away games at Cambridge United and Carlisle United in front of home fans.

“It is very unfair,” said Clough. “I’m delighted fans are allowed in some places, but it's unfair on other clubs.

Read more at https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... ge-3049915

----------------------

Centre-back position is natural to me, says Perch
mansfieldtown.net, Friday 27th November 2020

Defender James Perch has revealed that he ‘loves’ playing as a centre-back, a position he readopted following the Stags’ change of management earlier this month.

Since the appointment of Nigel Clough, the 35-year-old has been a mainstay in the Mansfield Town back-line, as opposed to the defensive midfield position he had been accustomed to earlier this season.

The defender discussed this change of role, which has coincided with a shift to a four-at-the-back formation.

“I’ve loved it [at centre-back],” he told iFollow Stags. “I grew up as a centre-half, but when I got to first team level, managers looked at me and thought ‘he’s not that big, he’s slight.’

Read more at https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020 ... g-and-red/

iFollow Stags subscribers can watch James’ interview in full on mansfieldtown.net/ifollow

------------------------

Mansfield Town's James Perch on why tier 3 fans' ban feels like a 'dagger through the heart' and his memories of famous FA Cup run with Wigan Athletic

Midfielder James Perch admits knowing fans cannot return to watch Mansfield Town any time soon felt like a ‘dagger in the heart.’

Nottinghamshire was placed under tier 3 restrictions on Thursday meaning Stags must continue to play behind closed doors for the foreseeable future.

“It's really disappointing not to have fans back,” he said. “It is also disappointing that they can have fans back in down south.

“It is dividing the north and south and it is ruining things for the north.

Read more at https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... ic-3049863

------------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Clough + Perch press conference, Fri 27 Nov

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:33 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:15 pm

Interesting to hear Perch say centre back is his natural position. You can cross that one of your list Gazza! :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:49 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting to hear Perch say centre back is his natural position. You can cross that one of your list Gazza! :lol:

Very true :lol:

In fairness I did say with the exception of Perch but I'll take the banter. ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum