{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Harrogate Town post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Harrogate Town post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:38 pm

Last edited by Son Of Sherwood on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; post match

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:45 pm

ummmmmmmm not sure i agree Nigel ref the defenders tonight
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 pm

I do. I thought James Perch was our MOM followed by Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I do. I thought James Perch was our MOM followed by Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning.

James Perch got bullied Darren. He was partially at fault for the goal after mistiming his jump for the third or fourth time.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I do. I thought James Perch was our MOM followed by Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning.

James Perch got bullied Darren. He was partially at fault for the goal after mistiming his jump for the third or fourth time.

Agreed, Beck bossed him the whole game. All they had was a long ball up to him and runners off him and due to Perch not being able to handle Beck, it worked.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:31 pm

I thought Jordan Bowery was man of the match tonight. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in a yellow shirt tonight.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:43 pm

lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Agreed, Beck bossed him the whole game. All they had was a long ball up to him and runners off him and due to Perch not being able to handle Beck, it worked.

No he didn't, Perch had a fine game and our keeper had very little to do and we dominated possession but did nothing with it. Gordon was my man of the match with Perch just behind. Our problems are not defensive, our problems are further up the field, Maynard is vastly over-rated by many on here and isn't even half as good as Danny Rose. Bowery did OK tonight, but again I do not think he is good enough either. Cook looked far better than either of them, at least you knew he was there and he absolutely must start the next game. Who he plays with is up for debate, but I'd give Reid a go from the start. McLaughlin, I'm afraid, is not good enough either, his performance tonight was abject, I blame him for the goal and also his attacking play was at best mediocre. So Sinclair for him, and the front two completely changed. The midfield trio also had below par games tonight, but they are all decent players and I would definitely stick with them. Last change for me would be Sweeney in for Rawson. Much surgery needed in January.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Personally thought Sinclair was motm :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 pm

Rob wrote:
lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

No he didn't, Perch had a fine game and our keeper had very little to do and we dominated possession but did nothing with it. Gordon was my man of the match with Perch just behind. Our problems are not defensive, our problems are further up the field, Maynard is vastly over-rated by many on here and isn't even half as good as Danny Rose. Bowery did OK tonight, but again I do not think he is good enough either. Cook looked far better than either of them, at least you knew he was there and he absolutely must start the next game. Who he plays with is up for debate, but I'd give Reid a go from the start. McLaughlin, I'm afraid, is not good enough either, his performance tonight was abject, I blame him for the goal and also his attacking play was at best mediocre. So Sinclair for him, and the front two completely changed. The midfield trio also had below par games tonight, but they are all decent players and I would definitely stick with them. Last change for me would be Sweeney in for Rawson. Much surgery needed in January.

He did Rob. The goal even came from that very situation. Perch has done very well at centre back overall, and is probably in our top 3 players so far this season, but he was poor tonight, IMO.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

He did Rob. The goal even came from that very situation. Perch has done very well at centre back overall, and is probably in our top 3 players so far this season, but he was poor tonight, IMO.

No, the goal came from really weak defending from McLaughlin - other than that, Stech had very little to do, a few long range, weak shots but not much else. You need to look elsewhere for our problems bud :D Tonight our midfield were poor, which is a surprise as I do think they are good players, Maynard's performance did not surprise me (I'm not a fan if you hadn't gathered) and McLaughlin had a mare, reminded me of Paul (shudder). Positives, which are hard to draw, are Gordon continues to look a terrific young player (he will make us a lot of money), Perch is 100% set as 1st choice centre half and I thought Mal looked better than he has recently (one terrific block in particular). Sweeney needs to come in for Rawson, who I think wears square boots, Sinclair for McLaughlin and Cook for Maynard. I'd give the trio of Charsley, Lapslie and Clarke much longer, I think all three are very good footballers.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am

I thought James Perch did well and overall was quite clever handling Mark Beck. He won numerous headers and made some good defensive headers and clearances when balls were coming into our box. He also covered well around the back a few times. He also gave the ball away the least in our defence. He certainly had a better game than Farrend Rawson. He only made a couple of errors when he unnecessarily conceded the corner in the first half (Rawson did the same in the 2nd half) and then was bumped off the ball by Beck or slipped when a cross came in in the second half and Beck headed past the post. He was the pick of our defence for me.

I might have given MOM to Kellan Gordon if he had not given the ball away so much.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am

Rob, I agree with most of what you say actually, but that doesn’t change the fact I though Rawson and Perch were poor tonight.

Think you’re a bit harsh on Maynard, though again I agree he was poor tonight. IMO his best performance this season came when he played as a number ten.

Not sold on Charsley as an out and out midfielder, but he’s a useful player. Clarke can’t play the holding role for me, lacks awareness. Looked much more solid when Maris was there.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:16 am

Who were your MOM contenders Sam?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:20 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Rob, I agree with most of what you say actually, but that doesn’t change the fact I though Rawson and Perch were poor tonight.

Think you’re a bit harsh on Maynard, though again I agree he was poor tonight. IMO his best performance this season came when he played as a number ten.

Not sold on Charsley as an out and out midfielder, but he’s a useful player. Clarke can’t play the holding role for me, lacks awareness. Looked much more solid when Maris was there.

Well Rawson was very poor, on that we can agree. I think the midfield three are the best three we have, Maris is a bit lightweight and I do think Clarke will get better the more games he has. Maynard has no future here for me, it was a mistake to sign him in the summer, I'd loan/sell him at the earliest opportunity.

I can see Cloughie being quite ruthless when he gets the chance, he'll have learned more from tonight's defeat against a weak but well managed side than he has in the other games he has seen.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:31 am

Port Vale fans were moaning last week about not signing Nicky Maynard and signing Theo Robinson because he was cheaper.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:35 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Who were your MOM contenders Sam?

I would probably have given it to Benning. Thought he covered a lot of ground and looked positive with the ball, although end product was lacking at times. Also thought he should have been backing up McLaughlin quicker for the goal. Gordon did ok, but he gave the ball away a lot and he frustrates the hell out of me when he cuts inside all the time when he has the pace to go on the outside . He did it once in the second half when he had just the full back to beat and acres of space ahead of him and lost the ball, and then 30 seconds later he dribbled out of his own area all the way past the half way line beating three men in the process. He needed to be that positive higher up the pitch.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:43 am

Wasnt Gordon at fault for the goal? I thought he didn’t get in front of his man quick enough when he scored.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Harrogate Town post match & match highligh

Postby robbingdog » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:12 am

Square boots! Brilliant
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:17 am

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:52 am

Not sure Bowery is a natural goal scorer but plays well wide. Maynard seemed off the pace again, probably frustrated with lack of opportunities. Two full backs my MOMs.
Harrogate showed how to hang onto a lead. Two up front onto the centre halves not allowing play to redevelop. Plenty of balls into the corners pushing us back. Direct opposite to what we tried to do against Colchester.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 am

Just goes to show how poor Coughlan’s signings were.

Sharpe keeping his head down nicely as well!
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:13 am

stag861 wrote:Not sure Bowery is a natural goal scorer but plays well wide. Maynard seemed off the pace again, probably frustrated with lack of opportunities. Two full backs my MOMs.
Harrogate showed how to hang onto a lead. Two up front onto the centre halves not allowing play to redevelop. Plenty of balls into the corners pushing us back. Direct opposite to what we tried to do against Colchester.

Who were trounced 6-1 last night. Just goes to show our utter inability to 'control' a game. We have no measure of dominance in games for the most part where we are penning a team in.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:ummmmmmmm not sure i agree Nigel ref the defenders tonight

I think he summed things up well enough.

We only shipped one goal and our keeper didn't have many saves to make.

Our strikers had vey little to feed off.

Keep the faith.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:49 pm

face facts we are in a relegation battle. the sooner this is admitted by all, the sooner we start to tackle it.
Last night was poor, but on the whole the defence did their job.
Our midfield just didn't get going and until Maynard finds his mojo our front line looks poor at best.
Bowery, runs and holds the ball up but isn't a natural goal scorer and I think for saturday would replace him with Cook.
Our midfield needs an injection of quality but we don't have it, so lets hope last night was just an off game for them.
onwards and upwards
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Sweeney for Rawson.Cook for Bowery.These are the two we have to change.Bowery has 9 on his back.That means to me he is a centre forward.He has one goal from the spot so far this season.I would rather have Rhead in his place as he is better in the air holds it up and scores goals.Bowery one of Coughlans worse signings imo.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum