{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Harrogate score thread sponsored by Stech is our number 1

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Harrogate score thread sponsored by Stech is our number

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm

I can't believe some of the reactions tonight.

We are all disappointed, but some are going way over the top.

We all expect it to take a bit of time to sort out. The tried and tested way to beat a low block is to use width and move the ball quickly. The problem is that we don't have any real wingers other than McLaughlin, who was really poor tonight.

Cook is our best aerial threat, but neither Bowery or Maynard deserved to lose their places. I'd have taken Bowery off rather than Mayard though as he is more likely to find himself in a goalscoring position with the ball at his feet.

Charlsey was poor tonight, but Clarke and Lapslie were not great either.

Lessons learned as Clough starts to think about reshaping us.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Dross I'm afraid.

Totally rancid display.

No one played well, no one gets above a 3 or 4 out of 10.

The boards appointments of Dempster and Coughlan has set us back years. Hope Nigel knows how to get a tune out of this shambles, because before we know it, we'll be right in the mix of a relegation battle.

Not good at all.

Gordon is the clear man of the match. Easily a 7 or 8. Made at least 2 blocks one to stop them getting through one on one and another to block a low cross that would have been a tap in from 2 yards had he not got there. The only player to really get his shirt dirty. Not sure why people are saying he was useless. Especially when you consider he's out of position at right back.

Just read this after posting below: yes, Gordon had a decent game. Decent defending, showed a threat going forward and tried to make things work. Occasionally when you do that it can look poor because you have to take a risk and might lose the ball.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Harrington St Stag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Tonight really did tell us that avoiding the drop is our only goal this season.

We do look better defensively than a month or two ago, our midfield is below average for this league, and very little happening for us in attack. I suspect January will see some changes. Currently a very average squad that’s consistently performing below average.
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:12 pm

I wonder if he might consider 433

It’s evident that starting bowery is going to limit options but IMO though he clearly doesn’t have goals in him he does have an aerial threat in him until we can get someone in that’s got some ability good enough to push on.

Playing him in a top 3 or as an AM would work better.

That or just starting cool with Maynard.

Irrespective we’re slowly moving in the right direction
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:17 pm

Lapslie and Charlsley poor.Bowery and Rawson simply not good enough.Clough will sort it out but he has a lot of work to do.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:20 pm

Extremely disappointing! I trust Nigel to sort it out
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:22 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I can't believe some of the reactions tonight.

We are all disappointed, but some are going way over the top.

We all expect it to take a bit of time to sort out. The tried and tested way to beat a low block is to use width and move the ball quickly. The problem is that we don't have any real wingers other than McLaughlin, who was really poor tonight.

Cook is our best aerial threat, but neither Bowery or Maynard deserved to lose their places. I'd have taken Bowery off rather than Mayard though as he is more likely to find himself in a goalscoring position with the ball at his feet.

Charlsey was poor tonight, but Clarke and Lapslie were not great either.

Balanced view - can’t argue

Lessons learned as Clough starts to think about reshaping us.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:22 pm

adamstag wrote:I wonder if he might consider 433

It’s evident that starting bowery is going to limit options but IMO though he clearly doesn’t have goals in him he does have an aerial threat in him until we can get someone in that’s got some ability good enough to push on.

Playing him in a top 3 or as an AM would work better.

That or just starting cool with Maynard.

Irrespective we’re slowly moving in the right direction

I think we will move towards a 433 over time with Clough but at the moment we don’t have the players to play that formation effectively.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:25 pm

It was garbage tonight. But the previous 6 games have shown there is ability there.

If we turn in one turd of a performance every 6 games, I'll take that this season.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:27 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:absolute master class in winning away 1-0 that

we were absolutely clueless tonight, wasn’t working from the kick off, disappointed Cloughie didn’t change it far far sooner, out bossed front to back, shocking performance tonight

Can’t argue with that although as you know hate to agree with you-))
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:33 pm

Although this was a poor disappointing performance, it was light years ahead of what we saw under Coughlan. We looked better at the back (but still not good) and didn’t get run ragged all game.

I think this also shows how important Maris is to the team and Clarke got nowhere near to being a good replacement. We are desperately short of a free scoring forward and the Harrogate defence easily coped with everything we threw at it.

I don’t know what Sweeney has done to not even get a few minutes on the pitch but he couldn’t have done any worse than Rawson, perhaps it’s because both he and Perch play on the left. Is O’Keefe injured?. He is a natural right back and should be playing there with Gordon on the left wing instead of McLaughlin.

We can’t expect miracles overnight and as long as they pick it up again I will just look on this one as a blip.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Although this was a poor disappointing performance, it was light years ahead of what we saw under Coughlan. We looked better at the back (but still not good) and didn’t get run ragged all game.

I think this also shows how important Maris is to the team and Clarke got nowhere near to being a good replacement. We are desperately short of a free scoring forward and the Harrogate defence easily coped with everything we threw at it.

I don’t know what Sweeney has done to not even get a few minutes on the pitch but he couldn’t have done any worse than Rawson, perhaps it’s because both he and Perch play on the left. Is O’Keefe injured?. He is a natural right back and should be playing there with Gordon on the left wing instead of McLaughlin.

We can’t expect miracles overnight and as long as they pick it up again I will just look on this one as a blip.

This lot have had to many blips this season. For all we know the 'run' may have been a blip and we've now reverted to type.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Although this was a poor disappointing performance, it was light years ahead of what we saw under Coughlan. We looked better at the back (but still not good) and didn’t get run ragged all game.

This lot have had to many blips this season. For all we know the 'run' may have been a blip and we've now reverted to type.

No. Even that performance would have ranked in the top five under Coughlan.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

No. Even that performance would have ranked in the top five under Coughlan.

Hmmm not so sure, beaten at home by mighty Harrogate Town and never dirtied their keeper's gloves. :shock:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm

A blessing in disguise. They’d over achieved recently and probably duped Clough into believing we are better than we are. We’re are bottom 3 because we’re raspberry. Clough will sort it, but it’s going to take a long time to do so imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Any interview yet
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:19 pm

The One wrote:Any interview yet

He's still in the dressing room with them.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:27 pm

chip63 wrote:
The One wrote:Any interview yet

He's still in the dressing room with them.

If he's doing his job right that's how it should be then get them in tomorrow to watch that crap again and ask them 'WAS THAT ACCEPTABLE?'
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:28 pm

He’s done an interview and it’s on social media, said our centre halves played well, disagree with that, Beck bullied both of them.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:58 pm

I agree with Nigel. I thought James Perch was our MOM followed by Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning. Kellan played well going forward and made two or three good blocks including blocking a couple of crosses which is an improvement for him. He was our main offender though for giving the ball away and losing possession on around ten occasions. Ollie Clarke was the main offender in the first half. I'm sure Ollie will improve as he plays more regularly.

We gave the ball away far too much as a team. We only had a couple of decent patches of passing football. There was one really good move in the first half (16th minute) which resulted in the Kellan Gordon cross where Warren Burrell made a good block; and then we had a good move in the 79th minute which resulted in McLoughlin having his cross blocked, Benning having his shot blocked and Ollie Clarke blasting over the bar. Ollie Clarke did play a great ball to Jamie Reid on the right but Reid could not control it.

It was a bad mistake by Stephen McLaughlin to get muscled off the ball by Jack Muldoon which allowed Muldoon to put the cross in for the goal. Neither side really deserved to win it. It should have been a draw.

I was surprised by Harrogate. They clearly made a tactical decision to go more direct including the long throws from Dan Jones. They also pressed very well and gave us no time on the ball which forced us into errors. I thought Warren Burrell played well for them.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 pm

Classic MTFC tonight a few steps forward then bang back we go again
Love Clough but he must take blame tonight for not changing it
Worrying worrying times !!
Lapslie even poor when he has been brilliant
What’s going on ??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I agree with Nigel. I thought James Perch was our MOM followed by Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning. Kellan played well going forward and made two or three good blocks including blocking a couple of crosses which is an improvement for him. He was our main offender though for giving the ball away and losing possession on around ten occasions. Ollie Clarke was the main offender in the first half. I'm sure Ollie will improve as he plays more regularly.

We gave the ball away far too much as a team. We only had a couple of decent patches of passing football. There was one really good move in the first half (16th minute) which resulted in the Kellan Gordon cross where Warren Burrell made a good block; and then we had a good move in the 79th minute which resulted in McLoughlin having his cross blocked, Benning having his shot blocked and Ollie Clarke blasting over the bar. Ollie Clarke did play a great ball to Jamie Reid on the right but Reid could not control it.

It was a bad mistake by Stephen McLaughlin to get muscled off the ball by Jack Muldoon which allowed Muldoon to put the cross in for the goal. Neither side really deserved to win it. It should have been a draw.

I was surprised by Harrogate. They clearly made a tactical decision to go more direct including the long throws from Dan Jones. They also pressed very well and gave us no time on the ball which forced us into errors. I thought Warren Burrell played well for them.

I take your point on Gordon giving the ball away but sometimes that happens when you are trying to do something and create an opportunity. The alternative is the player passes it square or back and someone has to have a go and try and unlock the defence or you’ll get nowhere. It felt to me tonight that Gordon was the only one likely to do that and so he lost the ball a few times as a result.

I’d agree with your assessment of the two best players, but for me Benning doesn’t offer enough going forward these days. Most of his crosses or passes seem to hit the defenders or go out.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Staggyfox » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 pm

west country stag wrote:We would be better off playing the Stags ladies team

Not really.....we would probably loose that too..... :x :lol:
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:30 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I agree with Nigel. I thought James Perch was our MOM followed by Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning. Kellan played well going forward and made two or three good blocks including blocking a couple of crosses which is an improvement for him. He was our main offender though for giving the ball away and losing possession on around ten occasions. Ollie Clarke was the main offender in the first half. I'm sure Ollie will improve as he plays more regularly.

I take your point on Gordon giving the ball away but sometimes that happens when you are trying to do something and create an opportunity. The alternative is the player passes it square or back and someone has to have a go and try and unlock the defence or you’ll get nowhere. It felt to me tonight that Gordon was the only one likely to do that and so he lost the ball a few times as a result.

I’d agree with your assessment of the two best players, but for me Benning doesn’t offer enough going forward these days. Most of his crosses or passes seem to hit the defenders or go out.

Mal Benning’s pass completion was 71.3%, Gordon’s 51.3% from the early numbers, the lowest of any starting player. A big difference.

Both had two key passes, Gordon 8 crosses, 2 accurate. Benning 4 crosses, 0 accurate.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Staggyfox » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:31 pm

diablo wrote:I cannot see the point of bringing subs on in the last minute what on Earth was Clough thinking about?

Late subs are normally to waste time.....Clough probably thought losing 1 nil better than 2 or 3 nil. :roll:
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum