{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby Hon Sec » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:01 pm

They both do a good job. And remember Martin doesn’t live on the doorstep, he has to travel from down south. He is totally committed to Mansfield Town FC and does a great job for Stags and Stagsnet. Thanks Martin.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:pmsl Stagsnet could fall out with themselves without outside help

& i thought i was argumentative lol

We all think you are argumentative :lol:

see you soon i hope mate :D

God I hope so. I am missing match days so much. Even worse for Mrs GFB who has to put up with me all of the time :lol:

Send our love to the family
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:One person states a genuinely held opinion and the wolves circle.

Isn’t this place by definition about opinions?

If it is a genuinely held opinion then let them state it and defend it.

Exactly.
You can't say anything bad about Martin on here without the usual nut huggers chiming in.

If you genuinely dislike how Martin commentates and explain why you don't whats the issue ?

Martin is a big boy and will take it on board and in his stride im pretty sure...

Personally I think Martin puts in a load of effort that should be recompensed by the club but his commentary isn’t for me. Long on hyperbole
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:43 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Another factor that plays into it is the fact the TV camera is on the opposite side to where the commentators are.

It's a different perspective.

This is an important point and can make a difference when commentating on the spur of the moment. (Although the commentary over the Maynard goal was a little baffling given it appeared to be taken centrally going over the keeper centrally. He certainly should have saved it and the giveaway was him holding his head in his hands for the following 10 seconds. The view would have been similar from the West Stand.)

Martin's commitment though is without question and I certainly very much enjoy his commentary.

Should have called the thread Dean,Martin though. King Of The Road.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldyellow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Martin and Dean do a great job, if you want to hear rubbish commentary listen to the pair at Bolton who did the Mansfield Match , they sounded like Pinky and Perky on speed !!! and that was before the match, thank god you could change the commentary.
oldyellow
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:pmsl Stagsnet could fall out with themselves without outside help

& i thought i was argumentative lol

We all think you are argumentative :lol:

see you soon i hope mate :D

God I hope so. I am missing match days so much. Even worse for Mrs GFB who has to put up with me all of the time :lol:

Send our love to the family

will do mate, Saturdays just ain’t the same, nothing beats the feeling of utter stress & disappointment of a Saturday afternoon down the mill :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Shep » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 pm

I like their commentary because you can play a game of word bingo while watching because they say the same things every week!

I listened to the away commentary a couple weeks ago and at least you can have a laugh with Martin and Dean!

Don’t listen to the haters guys! Dean, you keep whispering for no reason and Martin, I love it when you randomly shout the players name!
Shep
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Keep up the good work Martin & Dean, much appreciated
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:38 pm

New hear having listened to radio Derby, for Both Derby and Burton, professional commentators get a lot of stick. following Sheff utd was a night mare in league 1 with all the Yorkshire teams
sharing the same outlet, Following Mansfield difficult on a radio in fact had a lot of problems on iifollow, Following Martin and Dean on ifollow and also on the fans forum has been a joy.
and they stand side by side with the professionals, i miss a bit of chat before and after the match , lucky we have a good forum, Thanks Martin and Dean
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Stringy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 pm

The commentary is good. I relied on Martin's commentary of games for a number of years.

There have been a couple of strange claims though. For example, George Lapslie being the best loan signing we've ever had despite it being November and us having leaders all over the pitch, even though we've had one league win all season.
Stringy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Anyone complaining about the commentary needs to think back to the days when the only option was to listen to Delahunty on Radio Mansfield. He loved the sound of his own voice and his personal anecdotes so much that you had no idea what was going on.
I remember one game where he was waffling on so much that when there was a goal it was about 2 minutes before I knew which team had scored, never mind any actual details of the goal.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:18 pm

The best pairing since Torvill & Dean :P
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:40 pm

I think they both do a super job. Both very knowledgable and obvious Stags fans. However, they do manage to keep it reasonably unbiased, unlike the vast majority of other clubs commentary.
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stags08 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm

The commentary isn’t easy to listen to at all and find it frustrating at times but it is what is, they aren’t professional commentators and I don’t think anyone on here is questioning Martin & Deans commitment
If they could get an ex player or one not in the side to join them in the commentary box for a different perspective would be an instant improvement
Stags08
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Sneag wrote:Perhaps their critics would like to have a go one week?

I had a go once with Nige at Orient, nearly broke all his kit when we scored and was never invited back! Dean and Martin do a great job, for nothing, just the love of our club.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Gets in free to all the games and buys a season ticket.
Messaged me and loads of others to apologise for his language during a game :D
Think that was the only time I've complained about his commentary, only because I was as mad and angry.
The joy in his voice when we win those classic games is priceless.
Wouldn't surprise me if he has an I follow account.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:25 pm

I really enjoy both the commentary and the march reports and have quickly built a lot of respect for the work Martin does.

I don't get why people feel the need to criticise and pass it off as "feedback".

I can say from experience that I sometimes need to watch a clip back twice to see what actually happened and last night I also thought the ref had pulled it back for a free kick on Clarke, as I thought he had been fouled in the build up.

Keep up the good work and thanks for all you do both on Matchday and during the week!
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:29 pm

Like alot of other things in life its all down to personal taste I guess....there are alot of commentators that I can't bare to listen to on sky, ITV etc doesn't mean there bad at commentary just not for me!.
Personally I find Martin's commo pretty decent but as I mentioned earlier in another thread dean's constant droning on tends to grate on me at times... No dis-respect to him at all... I'm sure he'd find lots of things I do that grate on him.
It's simply really... If you don't like it switch to the other teams commo... Job done!.
As a side note people need to remember that this is a message board for airing opinions NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME!!!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:02 pm

Tuesday nights guest commentators are....
Garth crooks and Carlton Palmer.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Martin and Dean. as i said before i think you both are true supporters of the Stags and i think you do a great job

Keep at it as im sure there are many more who appreciate what you actually do for the club and its "SUPPORTERS"
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vera Duckworth » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:51 pm

I originally thought Martin was actually Martin Fisher when I first watched iFollow, enough said!
Vera Duckworth
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby chip63 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qManb8RJUgo

Not a name wrong, wouldn't of cared if he had.
Enjoy.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:47 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:Like alot of other things in life its all down to personal taste I guess....there are alot of commentators that I can't bare to listen to on sky, ITV etc doesn't mean there bad at commentary just not for me!.
Personally I find Martin's commo pretty decent but as I mentioned earlier in another thread dean's constant droning on tends to grate on me at times... No dis-respect to him at all... I'm sure he'd find lots of things I do that grate on him.
It's simply really... If you don't like it switch to the other teams commo... Job done!.
As a side note people need to remember that this is a message board for airing opinions NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME!!!

Yeah I guess watching illegal streams of MTFC instead of supporting the club would grate on him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:47 am

Rob wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:Like alot of other things in life its all down to personal taste I guess....there are alot of commentators that I can't bare to listen to on sky, ITV etc doesn't mean there bad at commentary just not for me!.

Yeah I guess watching illegal streams of MTFC instead of supporting the club would grate on him.

K
Ignore the thief, I do
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:40 am

Shep wrote:I like their commentary because you can play a game of word bingo while watching because they say the same things every week!

I listened to the away commentary a couple weeks ago and at least you can have a laugh with Martin and Dean!

Don’t listen to the haters guys! Dean, you keep whispering for no reason and Martin, I love it when you randomly shout the players name!

What a snidey post this is.

If you're going to have a pop at them, at least have the balls not to hide behind drivel like that.
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum