{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Colchester Utd post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Colchester Utd post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:13 am

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Colchester Utd post match & match highligh

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:33 am

watched the game back this morning and despite colchester looking a good side passing it about, they failed to really threaten and we made the bulk of the best chances often working hard to win the ball back and played it forwards along the deck quickly.

Were a decent side. Certainly not a million miles off.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 am

Perspective needed here. We're only 9 points behind them and they are top 6. A long way to go yet
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 am

Listening to Nicky Maynard's interview it's obvious he sets high standards for himself. That's got to be a good thing. He didn't particularly rate his goal and annoyed that he didn't play Jordan Bowery in on goal.
I also like what they've been told by the management. We are only going to ask you to do what you are good at....... play football. Refreshing, which is a step in the right direction.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:33 am

Surprised Maynard only on 17 goals for the club.
Seems to be first choice striker now, hopefully that will see a lot more goals this season.
Sounds like same side for Tuesday night, that can only be a good sign.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:07 pm

I’m surprised how classy Clough is. So chuffed he’s our manager.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 am

Sedgwick wrote:watched the game back this morning and despite colchester looking a good side passing it about, they failed to really threaten and we made the bulk of the best chances often working hard to win the ball back and played it forwards along the deck quickly.

Were a decent side. Certainly not a million miles off.

Agree. We played some really good stuff as well. I actually wasn't as gutted as I thought I'd be when they scored. Obviously I wanted to win but the fact that we didn't go and lose which we would've done a few weeks ago was a huge positive. I used to look at the fixtures and wonder where our next win was going to come from. Now I look at it and wonder where our next defeat will come because it feels like no one can beat us at the moment.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:05 am

Watching the Colchester goal back again... Seems like stech expected it to bounce / run further but guess the soggy pitch held it up abit...still a lovely little finish in my opinion.
Not the massive howler that some people are saying on here.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby satkin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:37 am

What a difference a top manager makes - The future is looking so much brighter with Mr Clough & co.

TBH its like watching chalk and cheese from the previous regime and 'm sure this has given all the stags fan a massive boost, in these uncertain time. For me:

- We actually look like a team now, and one that will do some damage.
- I actually look forward to the games now (under GC it was a chore).
- Haven't felt as positive since 2002 -2004. Genuinely think that we can make the PO, especially if we strengthen in Jan.
- Cant wait to get back to FM and see it Rockin'

Big week ahead. Lets smash Harrogate and then book our place in the 3rd Round.

Onwards and Upwards. COYS!
satkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ST4GS » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:11 am

I am not as positive as 2017 pre season when Evans bought in seemingly better quality players coupled with his reputation of gaining promotions. I am sure we would have had a taste of league 1 now if he had stayed. I am more cautiously optimistic with Clough but probably due to once biten twice shy.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:30 am

ST4GS wrote:I am not as positive as 2017 pre season when Evans bought in seemingly better quality players coupled with his reputation of gaining promotions. I am sure we would have had a taste of league 1 now if he had stayed. I am more cautiously optimistic with Clough but probably due to once biten twice shy.
I'm much more happier with young Nigel. For one thing I can't see him tempted to nip off for a chinese. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:30 pm

As for the keeper mistake. I can't grumble too much. Only in hindsight can we say it was a mistake.

He made a choice and committed to that choice. The mistake would have been committing and then deciding not to carry on and caught in no man's land. . Yes he lost out in the end but the ball could have been squared into the middle and they could have scored, could have come forward with the ball and had a shot that could have rebounded out to someone else and scored. There is no guarantee that had he stayed on his line that they wouldn't have scored.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:41 pm

gazza1988 wrote:As for the keeper mistake. I can't grumble too much. Only in hindsight can we say it was a mistake.

He made a choice and committed to that choice. The mistake would have been committing and then deciding not to carry on and caught in no man's land. . Yes he lost out in the end but the ball could have been squared into the middle and they could have scored, could have come forward with the ball and had a shot that could have rebounded out to someone else and scored. There is no guarantee that had he stayed on his line that they wouldn't have scored.

The amount of space Norris had was criminal. He took advantage of a sleeping defence. Had Stech stayed on his line, he would’ve had so much more time and people would’ve complained all the same
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby mousemousemouse » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
ST4GS wrote:I am not as positive as 2017 pre season when Evans bought in seemingly better quality players coupled with his reputation of gaining promotions. I am sure we would have had a taste of league 1 now if he had stayed. I am more cautiously optimistic with Clough but probably due to once biten twice shy.
I'm much more happier with young Nigel. For one thing I can't see him tempted to nip off for a chinese. :D

I think Clough brings in a level of respect that is great for us. Evans was a cut throat “winner” but spent a fortune and caused a huge rift between fans and players.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum